1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 22 - Lurker thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by BSPollux, Sep 18, 2015.

1. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

With all the options they got, the few AI that want to build a wonder don't care much about GW. Against all odds it's relatively save if you try to get it reasonably fast. Not sure if this will be fast enough but I think so.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Not following all threads, just loosely TSR, so how are we doing on screenshots and AI locations?

3. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

Well, it looks like FE's game is about to get really exciting....

4. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

GW gone. That's such a huge blow. Everything in this scenario points to GW, not only for the barb defense, but also for the Great Spy and tech stealing.

:popcorn: time for the lurkers though.

5. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

TSR has located 5/6 AI, and 4 of them are on the same continent as the players. Sal is west, Hannibal north, Brennus and Gilgamesh east, and Zara appears to be on a different landmass north of Sal, but it's only separated by coast and not ocean. It's actually possible his land is attached via a land bridge too, TSR hasn't quite gotten all the way around with their WB.

Darius is the only unknown atm.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Oh my, GW lost for FE, that will be a kick in the teeth for them. Wooden spoon coming up?

With all but one AI discovered, I guess conquest might be possible without going horribly deep into the tech tree. Of course, Darius could be located on Mars :D

7. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

In the Anti-TSR thread there's talk about this scenario being overly hard. I think we might see a wide margin in finishing dates. And I am curious if Space will (against everyones first impression) be used by a team or two.

8. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

I could see a snowball effect playing out in this one. The slower you are the more difficult everything will become. Missing out on early wonders and needing to chase later wonders down the tech tree will become increasingly difficult when you consider that the game restriction place a bit of a soft cap on the # of cities a team can acquire. That will limit research potential as will the need to set up Rome as a food + hammer city rather than a commerce city.

The easiest path here is GW early then try to get as many of the Aesthetics > Lit wonders as possible. There's potentially 4 there. Angkor Wat should also be very viable with a Philo bulb. A handful of others like The Colossus, HG, and MoM could be in play with some tech stealing, but these and the Aest/Lit wonders will all be available around the same time frame and only one can be built in Rome at a time...

On the military side, need to do as much damage as possible with Praets and stuff early.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Have noticed Seraiel is basically missing in action, and by recent posts in TSR they assume he will be missing for this game, plus a few other guys, leaving them three active players. Are other teams already in such binds?

After all the early negativity about this scenario, I imagine it must be pleasing to see teams praising it now :)

10. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

It was the same with the other two. But it's never unanimous. Some like it, some don't.

I am actually worried about the difficulty right now.

11. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Biggest concern regarding the difficulty might be the lack of access to marble for the players.

Edit: seems there's marble for trade so perhaps not a big deal.

12. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

Although only having five teams is cutting it a bit fine for the long term viability of SGOTMs it does make it rather easier for lurkers such as myself to keep reasonably up to date with the success and/or failure of each team's strategies.

13. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Not following all teams closely, but might be interesting to see how this transpires. If there are indeed many runaway trains, not having the GW is going to suck (FE).

14. FiveRings

FiveRings Prince

It might seem roughly equal, but I believe - based on my low level of competence, of course - that having one 6-food+2-coin tile plus three 2-food+2-coin tiles is much better than having four 3-food tiles (even supplying 1 coin each).

15. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

SIP is better bc of the hammer output. 9 grass hills (counting bananas) to mine vs 5, and hammers in the capitol for wonder production is critical to this scenario.

16. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Former Phoenixes may be in some trouble. Darius just showed up on their door step with a little stack. He could still be heading for Brennus who happens to be his worst enemy, but they have to prepare for the DoW either way which will hurt.

Yyeah has suggested possibly chopping archers in Rome which would be a double blow as those capitol forests are super important for chopping wonders in this scenario.

Seems like some tough luck if Darius declares on them as they are +2 with him - just a shade short of pleased - and he's annoyed and WE with Brennus.

17. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Darius has a Phalanx in their game?? Is that intentional?

18. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

Actually no.:confused:

19. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

:sad: This might end in tears...

20. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

I'm confused my Insolita right now. KCD wrote me a msg in which he said I didn't give them iron anywhere near (among other things, it was a friendly msg) and in the thread he wrote "Sorry guys... the title says it all. No iron anywhere near.". And haphazard1 replied: "I am not totally surprised about the iron. Being Rome going iron and praets would be just too obvious. There probably is some somewhere -- in the polar ice, or on a tiny island that requires Astro to reach -- but it won't be available any time soon.".

But they already see the iron in the south, as shown in the screenshots in this post: HERE

Did KCD miss it and noone else had a look afterwards?