1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 22 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

I did not know that was the site we were going to claim the horse with.

2. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

CP: Good to see you moved us along.

With respect to stealing tech:
    Here is a list of estimated cost to steal a tech with the 50% reduction for spy being stationary 5 turns.
    I tested it for Sal and Darius. The cost to steal from either of them is very close.
    1. Tech ..........Base ..Steal
    2. Meditation ....119 ... 97
    3. Poly .............149 ..122
    4. Priesthood ......89 ... 72
    5. Calendar .......523 ...427
    6. Code of Law ..523 ...427
    7. Currency .......598 ...488
    8. Monarchy ......448 ...366
    If you want to estimate the cost of a tech not shown: Multiply the base beaker cost by 81.5%

We have 86 points invested in Darius and 244 in Sal. Both Sal and Darius know Poly.
    I would suggest that we steal poly from Darius.
    Next steal Priesthood from either Gilgamesh (52 eps) or Darius (57 eps).
    Then steal Monarchy from Sal.

All the while praying to the rng gods to favor us with successful spies and a Great Spy. :D

Should I continue to update the test game?

3. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Deity GOTM Staff

Interesting, Joe. Hadn't considered anything like this approach. You are saying that, by stealing Poly from Darius, we don't waste the points we have in him and will save our Sal points to get Monarchy later. Makes good sense to me, as there is no rush to get Poly before we have researched Lit. That is now the plan, and will be playing in a few hours with all points on Darius.

4. Cactus Pete

Htadus, I posted my intent earlier, before playing, but you didn't comment. Chose that site because we are so far behind that I didn't think we had time to wait for cultural expansion to make the city useful. Longbows are inevitably coming, as you have noted.

5. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Another factor is when do we want to build wineries. We could always going 0% research and 100% espionage for 1 turn and split EPs with enough going to Darius to steal Poly and balance going to Bennus, then 1 more turn to get enough for Bennus to steal Priesthood and balance going to Sal. Then back to 100% research and 4 eps/turn to sal till ready to steal Monarchy.

I did not think about it before, but Sal also knows Riding which we could steal for about 305.

6. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

We must have Poly to start research on Lit, just to be clear.

7. Cactus Pete

Understand Poly needed for Lit, but we have a ways to Aesthetics first.

Monarchy will be helpful. Going to try to get Poly without losing spy, then research enough spy points for Priesthood by the time spy is in place for 5 turns. Will try to build additional spy(s), but need units.

Playing . . .

8. Cactus Pete

Didn't play long before Brennus dismissed our generous horse trade and declared war on us this turn, advancing on Rome and potentially threatening Cumae as well.

I don't expect that I will be able to successfully defend Rome, unless the rng is exceptionally favorable and the AI is particularly feckless, even by AI standards. If we lose either city, would suggest we concede the game.

I've made the obvious unit movements and am pausing to give the team the opportunity to suggest some brilliant tactical moves before proceeding.

Save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=Xteam_SG022_AD0175_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

9. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Whip that cat now and hope he takes his time pillaging and put the overflow into archers. They have better chances against the force than cats. Whip every turn if possible since we can let the cities grow but can not found a city that easily.

CP, I thought you were going to claim the copper city, not that it would have made any difference.

10. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Deity

I can't see anything, but whip something!

11. Folket

Folket Deity

I will have to take a look tonight.

12. Folket

Folket Deity

I'm not certain it is that bad. We will just have to fight Brennus. The biggest problem is to gave 8 archers in our capital when we capture Rome back.

13. Folket

Folket Deity

But Whip an archer in Rome. It will defend better then a catapult.

14. Cactus Pete

I'll play through outcome in a few hours.

15. leif erikson

16. Cactus Pete

RL intervened and it took me longer to get back to the game than anticipated.

The AI was a bit inept but the rng was not helpful at all. We sacrificed some units and have kept Rome but have lost Cumae, along with a cat, 2 archers, a warrior, and chariot -- wounding many but killing only a triple CR axe in the process.

I've made the obvious moves this turn and left the rest for the next player, if the team wishes to continue.

Need to turn it over, as I have two conference presentations to prepare for next week (then I am going out of town and completely out of contact until the 18th).

Save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=Xteam_SG022_AD0250_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

17. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Good Job CP. Who is next?

18. Folket

Folket Deity

Well, it feels like we are to late for everything. We really need monarchy fast and conquering the world with praetorians looks less and less likely.

Will we be able to raze Cumae? If not we can't capture it before we have 8 defenders in our capital. An option would be to bypass Cumae while plundering his other cities.

I guess our plan need to be mass praetorians while trying something to improve our economy. Which may be to steal our way to monarchy or building cottages for our capital.

We will also have Sumeria declare war on us very soon.

I'm agreeing with Cactus Pete that the hole looks very deep now.

19. leif erikson

Agree with this assessment as well.

The question is whether we should continue, or not? :hmm:

20. Folket

Folket Deity

Let us try to make a plan for doing something the next 20 turns and let someone play it. First we need to confirm if we can capture Cumae or not.