SGOTM 22 - Xteam

Saves are available. How much exploring do we need to do before we settle?

In place or 1-north doesn't look too bad?

Saves are available. How much exploring do we need to do before we settle? I'm good with Neil's suggestion.

In place or 1-north doesn't look too bad?
To be clear: I'm only against a coastal capital city if no seafood is present, which is fairly likely, so I am against moving the settler two tiles and delaying settling yet another turn if no seafood turns up. Probably worth the extra turn to find out if seafood is available, (before settling in place) and one more turn to move settler there.

No tech trading makes Space even more difficult.

We need to decide on the first couple of moves and get going.

OK, here is neil's suggestion.

edit: Western warrior to move SW twice, southern warrior to move S then SW, settler to move SW or 2SW and then wait?

Who wants the mouse in their hand?

edit:
And the map:
Spoiler :

We should start with moving two warriors SW. We need to see if there is seafood. Have someone played around with the test save. Will seafood really be that useful?

Concur. We should test a seafood/coastal capital. How much will the loss of hammer production hurt us? If we do scout for two turns, don't think we need to move the settler until the second turn depending on scouting results.

Before we test seafood start, shouldn't we move the Warriors and scout to see if it is necessary?

Otherwise, let's just settle inland?

Yes, no point doing any testing until we have map info. It is smart to move the settler just 1SW so he can move back to SIP on the second turn if no seafood shows up.

No tech trading surely kills Space.

I am happy with Great Wall as our first wonder as even though raging barbs on Monarch are not a disaster, they can be unpredicatable. As we need lots of wonders anyway and at least 1 building to settle city 2, it seems like the best thing to build first.

edit: I can go first if there are no other takers

Checking in! Sorry for the delay, still having internet issues.

Will catch up on the thread immediately.

Yes, no point doing any testing until we have map info. It is smart to move the settler just 1SW so he can move back to SIP on the second turn if no seafood shows up. Moving settler only one tile does not save a turn if settling on coast, and it does prevent settling site three immediately if no seafood is found.

edit: I can go first if there are no other takers
Good show.

We can save one turn if testing shows that the coast is no good no matter the seafood. In that case we can settle turn 1.

OK, good point.

I will run some test saves based on finding nothing and something

Just from playing out a few times from the test save, Great Wall is a must. Barbs are just such a pain and it means we get 1 wonder down (from 7).

-SIP gives lots of early production due to the unforested hills that can be mined.
-1N (aka Spot 3) sucks. It does not have the unforested GH's that SIP has (it has the same as coastal), but nothing else going for it except bananas which need IW & Calendar, with no tech trading! (try it for yourself if you doubt me :))
-Coastal is great IF there is extra food, we have a slower start, but tons of food.

This requirement is killer:

• Your capital has at least twice the number of civilians as your city count (including the new one). So if you own three cities and want to build a fourth one you need a population of at least eight.

To own 5 cities we must have a pop of 10! Of course we can run farms but this will be a slow grow... and means no cottages and no whipping...and few mines to build those 7 wonders we need

So exploring the coast is a risk, but I think it is totally worth it. Worst case scenario we SIP 1 turn later than everyone else.

edit: I have attached a few saves (SIP/coast with first settler out/settled) and a new 4000BC test save with: BUFFY, fish on coast, 1 tile fix

Attachments

• X-Team BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    29.9 KB · Views: 154
  • X-Team BC-2120_SIP.CivBeyondSwordSave
    63.3 KB · Views: 115
  • X-Team BC-1880_Coast.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.8 KB · Views: 164
After reading the rules again, I think early BW is a huge mistake as we can use our 4 warriors in the capital to allow us to settle the second city.

If we get BW, we need to build 4 new units.

It will almost certainly be worthwhile delaying BW until after city 3 even, as without it we will need to build 2 cheap new units (warriors/scouts)
OR
build 6 Axes/Spears !

edit: no more thread spamming tonight!

I think we should get animal husbandry and the wheel early. Chariots are good for standing in our capital.

I think we should get animal husbandry and the wheel early. Chariots are good for standing in our capital.
Let's hope Horses are available to us.
:)

edit-
Nice job on the tests neil. The other point that really comes out of your testing is that we need good scouting to locate resources to help us stay happy and healthy, happy prioritized I think. Hope we can have grumblers counted as citizens when we found cities...

Nothing I read says "happy" citizens, just population!

I am of the opinion that food will be more critical than ever based on the population requirements.

I favor exploring for seafood before settling.

I am also in favor of the GW for the reasons neilmeister listed.

After reading the rules again, I think early BW is a huge mistake as we can use our 4 warriors in the capital to allow us to settle the second city.

If we get BW, we need to build 4 new units. My reading is that is only true once we've connected copper, but we can still use chopping, which would be the way to get SH or the GW, and Slavery if needed (insurance against barb problems).

It will almost certainly be worthwhile delaying BW until after city 3 even, as without it we will need to build 2 cheap new units (warriors/scouts)
OR
build 6 Axes/Spears !

edit: no more thread spamming tonight!

I believe 1N has a 2-commerce wine tile going for it and lots of forested hills.

Top Bottom