SGOTM1-Persia Team Samildanach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Rocinante
I'm very sorry to hear the rules are meanlingless, Mad-Bax
Please count me out

Good. You are an idiot. Ultimately the reason we are having to milk is that you decided to play your own game on the opening turns. Milking takes planning - I'm glad we won't be seeing any more of your gungho "lets roll" ****. **** off.
As far as the game is concerned. I agree with Hap fast conquest is probably still the way to go - it won't be as fast because we don't have the galleys. However, if we are lucky, it could be still on if we get a Great Leader - the priority should be to rush the Great Lighthouse so we can skip across that channel without fear of losing galleys. We don't really need the FP - as we have enough military to take the iroquois continent.
Whee second place - now for first gentlemen - it is our destiny :king:

Now People, we do not get bonus points for eliminating others on our own team. (Or is that an option Mad-Bax?)

:sniper: :ripper:
[plasma] :rocket2:
:ar15: :die:

Sam, I look forward to seeing your turns posted. :)

Hmm, we lost a team mate? That's not nice :saiyan:

Well Sam, just post your safe this weekend then. :o
I hope we'll get a GL soon :smug:

Please don't turn this into a high maintenance thread guys. I have enough to do already, honest. :p

Play nice.

As I said before... Sam *should* have posted his save by now or asked for a skip or extension. Vaiar can wait a while or play immediately, it's his choice.

Originally posted by Rocinante
I'm very sorry to hear the rules are meanlingless, Mad-Bax
Please count me out

Sorry for spamming in this thread. But SG is not one of heihojin's PBEMs and it is really an unwise and sad decision. The 72h is not a rule, it is a code of conduct. Why someone not sticking strictly to the code of conduct might push you to drop? There are many busy people in SG who have to earn some living besides playing Civilization 3. Also, sometimes something can happen preventing a player from playing the turns. Is this impossible to understand? Am I posting something wrong or inappropriate?

Regarding heihojin's PBEM, you can check a very interesting discussion here. I assume that you are over 18 years old and would not be offended by some rude expressions. If either one is wrong, please, do not click the link.

@ akots Its O.K Mad-Bax spams here all the time:D
Looks like Krys got burned playing with some well known yo-yos.
I actually tried to get him into roster C as he is an excellent player but he was content to waste his time with that stuff.
As far as Rocinantes decision to leave the team - its fine by me. He wants to rush through stuff and doesn't contribute to the discussion - SGs clearly aren't for him. I actually knew it from the start and I'm glad he realises it now to.

Hap regarding your P.M. I wasn't deliberately goading him to quit by delaying - my main goal was to get the team to plan ahead - I specifically asked them to do this. I did however appreciate that Rocinante is impatient and that he might quit because of it - I didn't see this as being a negative outcome.

550 BC. ZZz
530 BC. Antioch build settler.
510 BC. Research reduced to 30 % - code of laws due next turn.
490 BC. Code of laws researched. Begins republic.
470 BC. Tyre founded.
450 BC. Zzz
430 BC. Sardis founded. Exchanged Col and philosophy to Iroquois for polytheism and contact with America. The Americans have MM.
410 BC. Our immortals are in gordium.
390 BC. 3 galleys with four immortals( 2 elites) are in position to make the crossing. Another galley is on the other side of the crossing ready to meet them at midway.
370 BC. The four galleys are at the midway point – fingers crossed.
350 BC. Aw crap – AdrianEs strat. doesn’t appear to work. It worked in TJ03C but I wasn’t the one doing it. The idea was that the immortals would be transferred to an empty galley if the one carrying them sank but in this case there were available galleys and we still lost immortals. Hmmm..either I’m doing it wrong or this strat. is BS. Two barb. villages cleared. Two immortals over on Iroquois island.

We should transfer the immortals over as hap suggested we still have 3 galleys. Use 1 to transfer 2 immortals to the mid point and the other galley can pick them up and transfer them safely.

Once again, its the [party] Back seat drivers report [party]

Americans: They have Mapmaking, but not the pre-republic techs.
They only have 2 cities.
Since the "Wonders (f7)" screen shows both of their cities producing wonders (pyramids, and colossus) They are not immediately a threat of expanding to other islands.

Iroquois: They have matched us with techs, they have only the 5 visible cities on the map, so even though they have mapmaking, they have not used it yet to colonize other islands. They may still be at war with the americans since their one iron square no longer has a road on it from the last time I looked at the map. :)
Grand River is currently producing the colossus, so that makes Boston and philadelphia the boat making threats. Their military can only be archers and spearmen. They are willing to trade us all their gold, and world map, for our world map.

Just to note, we are inside their borders but not yet at war. If we are forced to leave, our two immortals will move to the mountain square near niagara falls. I do not know if that is worth doing. I am just mentioning it. (Also note that our galley would be moved to a useless location, so this is an important point against this.)

We have a warrior sitting in Sidon to the north. Move him to a barracks and promote him.

We should take out the iroquois quickly before they can build boats and settlers. If that happens, this game might really drag on. :( The Americans are too busy messing with wonders to bother us. Actually I would hope we could knock out Grand River, and the AI would restart the collosus in another city, thereby wasting that production as well :)

So, how do we move our troops across.

Turn1: Move both galleys A and B 1 square towards gordium, load all units onto galleys, move galleys back 1 square to were they started. one movement point is not used.

Turn2: only galley A moves east 2 squares (2mp). Galley B will stay where it is this turn.
Galley C on the "grand River" side moves 1 square west. The troops wake up, and jump over from Galley A to Galley C,
Galley C moves back 1 square and waits. (Can not unload troops this turn). Galley A moves back one square towards Gordium, but will end his turn in the sea and may sink. (50% chance.

turn 3:
Galley C, unloads troops, then moves one square west.
Galley B moves 2 squares east, wakes troops and lets them jump to galley C. Galley B moves back towards its coast, and Galley C moves towards the grand rapids coast. Troops will unload next turn.

Repeat as necessary. Since 50% of the galleys will survive on the Gordium side, we can carry at least another 3 immortals over.

Also, Galley B has one extra turn before it has to ferry troops across, so it could also load the immortal out of Tyre.

Attachments

• sgotm-sam-350bc.jpg
    sgotm-sam-350bc.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 258
Hoi, ok nice I'll play tomorrow morning and read the posts better!! :)

Sounds good Vaiar, so good luck with your turns.

One correction to my notes, don't worry about the immortal in Tyre just yet, I was thinking that galleys carried 3 units instead of just 2, Gordium has enough for the first 2 loads.

Thanks Sam. And next time you run into AdrianEs, give him a good bonk on the head from me too. :hammer:

My guess is that there was no magical movement of troops from one ship to the other, he just happened to be lucky as to which ships ended up sinking.
If I get really bored waiting for my next turn, I will set up a test game to investigate this. I will rename each Galley so as to be able to verify which lived and which didn't.

I am about to start my turns. :scan:

Preturn check

Moved Sidon warrior to Persepolis to get him upgraded. It seems to me that all the cities are having a great time making nothing but temples, but I understand the rationale behind it.
Yuck, Hiawata is out of his tipi making angry noises to our immortals and says that our troops are a declaration of war against his people. Well, that makes a stinky decision for me to take. What to do now? Haphazard argues that our troops will be moved, but most important he raises the question of the position of galley C and its subsequent displacement of Hiawata is allowed to remove our troops out of his borders. So, with our unspoken permission, I take the risk and declare war on the Iroquois.

330BC For some reason dear Abe is pissed with us. We are a country at war now. Haphazard’s galley trick faze ‘turn 1’ is completed. GRRR :mad: Stinking Grand River had at least three units stationed in it: 2 spearmen (both dead) and still 3/3 warrior. Our immortals north of GR are now 5/5 and 3/5. Our southern immortal discovers a barbarian encampment. Workers are building mines everywhere.
310BC Antioch has three turn production line for immortals opened now. The Iroquois don’t do anything in the mean time. We took GR and there was a settler in it, so we have two extra workers now. The immortals are 1/5 and 5/5 now. Second turn of our boat operation completed.
290BC Our boats are still there and two more immortals are on the enemy continent now. Barbs destroyed and 25 gold extra.
270BC The Iroquois don’t seem to notice we’re there. The first three immortals are on their way to Salamanca.
250BC Washington builds the Pyramids and the Iroquois managed to get an archer to GR. The archer was killed and I rushed a spearman in GR. I ferried another immortal over using the boat trick. Let’s hope the galley remains afloat. Some barbs killed. Three immortals are standing at the gates of Salamanca and tow other ones one tile further.
210BC Two spearmen guarding Salamanca were killed. Five at its gates now.
190BC Ladies & Gents, we took Salamanca and are engaged in heavy urban warfare with resisting religious zealots. South-East of Salamanca a warrior and settler were spotted and quickly disposed gaining us two slaves who are to make a road to GR. An archer coming from Philadelphia was destroyed.
170BC Alarm!!! :aargh: Iroquois’ galley seen at the east coast at the continent!!! Two elite immortals are now standing on the mountain near Philadelphia.
150BC The Galley disappeared. The two spearmen guarding Philadelphia were quickly vanquished, but for some strange reason they were frightened of a peasant crowd defending the famous city (only a worker there now). Enormous starvation at Salamanca and after a hurried spearman, the size was reduced from 6 to just 1. Historians will condemn Xerxes later on for this gruesome slaughter.
130BC The angry peasant mob is trying to flee Philadelphia and has annexed the spices to feast on, but not for long….. A strict but merciful immortal approaches the partying crowd and tells them of the accomplishments of great Xerxes and how they can contribute to his glory. The stunned mob immediately stops their orgy and takes its shovels to dig a road to show their commitment to the empire.

These were my turns, I hope I did well :) .... we are loosing money though.

After posting in the maintainance thread I noticed that our former team mate made his own team :ack:

Well, Samildanach noticed that too I see :D

Wow Vaiar, looks like you did fantastic. :goodjob: With a little luck I think I can shut Sam out of this game. ;)

There are nine immortals on the island, so it is just a matter of planning my movement out now to make sure there are no opponents left at the end of the next 10 turn.

I need to put the kiddies to bed, but after that I will take a deeper look at the situation.

You really did well Vaiar, and don't worry about the cash flow. There are no bonus points given for cash sitting in the bank.

Originally posted by haphazard
With a little luck I think I can shut Sam out of this game. ;)

:cry: That ain't fair.;)

I think we have enough immortals to finish the job. I think we should switch Antioch to settlers and fill some more spaces.
Well played again Vaiar:) I was only expecting us to have a foothold by this point.
Something else we could do is pillage our iron supply and start producing warriors for Military police. A lot of our cities are so corrupt that even if we put the luxury slider at max they don't have enough commerce to improve the happiness situation.
I'm not sure if its worth building harbours but once we capture the size 4 american city we may be able to pop rush one there after disbanding surplus units in it. And build one on the continent as well. I don't think we need those barracks - one of those could be changed to a harbour if you decide its worth doing. Hopefully I won't be seeing this game again. Good Luck Hap:)

Analysis:
Washington is down to size 2! What have they been rushing?
Iroquois are almost gone. (Thanks to Vaiar)
9 Immortals on the 2nd continent. More than enough :D
All enemy cities are on grassland or desert, so no extra defense
bonuses.

My objectives for these turns are:

Conquest within 10 turns.
Maximize score by planting settlers as best as possible.

CONQUEST:
The 2 immortals north of Boston should take that city, it is on
desert, after any healing, they turn to Niagra.

The stack of 3 immortals beeline for Washington, 6 turns to
kill that city. This is the one I feel nervous about since washington
has been rush building something. If it is defensive troops I would
like to have a 4th Immortal. If the Boston troops do not need to be
healed, I may split them between washington and niagra. Offensive
troops are actually not a threat since I will be advancing along the
mountain chain

The 2 immortals on the road network arround Salamander will charge
to new york and bypass Niagra. I will not slow them down to take
niagra, leaving that for other troops. Again, 6 turns to kill that
city. (I will also send the immortal in the galley south to New york
to link up with the land strike, the 3 together should take this city.

Remaining immortals will adjust as necessary, probably towards
Niagra/New York.

ETA is 6 turns, or 10BC

PLANTING SETTLERS:
Panama builds settler in 1, he will go north of the horses.
Gordium builds settler in 3, load on boat to go to island north. (can
hit grassland south of iron in 5 turns.
Antioc builds settler in 3 fill in land in desert to SE. (Use workers
to build road this way. If second settler produced, fill in gap in
the SW, again use worker to build road.

Other notes:
With 6 turns to go, I am going to give up on republic
and put all my money into happiness. 100% happiness is -4gpt, so
with 153gp in the treasury, I can be generous. A few "we love the
tyrant day" will also help things along.

Bactra builds Temple in 2, but not enough time for borders to
expand.

Any production with a completion date farther than 10 turns out
(as padding) is abandoned.

geez, this is probably the most planning I have ever done before
a CIV turn. But since I can count the squares seperating my troops
from final victory, I decided to micromanage these last few turns.

SAM, I saw your post, good Idea, I will change the cities over to warriors to keep people happy. I don't think it has any effect on corruption though.

Originally posted by haphazard

SAM, I saw your post, good Idea, I will change the cities over to warriors to keep people happy. I don't think it has any effect on corruption though.

If a city is only generating 1 gold in commerce then even if you set luxury spending to 100% you will still only have 1 gold being spent on luxs in that city. Adjusting the lux slider only has an effect on happiness in ciites which have gold available to be spent on luxs.
At least, I think this is how it works. I could be wrong - remember me and the galleys. Check it out for yourself and see what effect changing the lux slider has on happiness in our most corrupt cities.
Good Luck with your 10 turn finish plan.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom