SGOTM3 Rome - Team Tao

Zwingli said:
...I am pleased that we did not resort to resource disconnection to spam cavalry, but relied on old fashioned city production ;).
While I agree with this and I also try to avoid breaking any deals, declare honorably and etc. in my own games, I'm really starting to wonder if its a good idea to avoid using resource disconnect. I play SGOTM/GOTM for a lot of reasons, but I do play them to compete. If your competitors are employing this tactic and your not, it can make a huge difference in date. The other "honorable" gameplay rules can be compensated for by good planning, but building massive numbers of cheap units for upgrade simply cannot.

The other "honorable" gameplay rules can be compensated for by good planning, but building massive numbers of cheap units for upgrade simply cannot.
I agree that in 90% of situations resource disconnection (for cavalry) provides an overwhelming advantage over any alternative. I enjoy a good challenge nonetheless and would prefer to continue with alternative strategies in SGOTM. If the team decided in advance to incorporate pillaging cycles, however, I would go with the decision. :)

I must admit, this is not a technique I tend to use - on the few occasions I have tried it something goes wrong, I then have no money for upgrades, plus loads of cheap and now almost useless troops that cost me an arm and a leg to support. I obviously need to practice more... (Ah - just found an excuse to play more Civ!)

The fortress city along with combat settlers are techniques I have used to good effect.

Having finished quite quickly, I suppose we will have a while to wait for the next game - I wonder if mad-bax will allow the team to stay together, perhaps if we tackle the variant (only 50% will win!) again...

I've just noticed in the maintenance thread that mad-bax announced that the next SGOTM will require people who play 1.29f to patch up to GOTM25, but PTW players will be able to play unmodded. My PTW is GOTM modded, my Vanilla is not - better start downloading then - good job I've got broadband!

Furiey said:
A thoroughly enjoyable game albeit somewhat bloody, I wonder what the next one will be?

Yeah... so do I :mischief:

Was this difficult enough?

The next game will be on one of ainwoods maps. I am playtesting 3 different variants, those being 5CC, OBC (one built city) and Zero Research Space race.

You guys will have to install the GOTM mod in order to play it in 1.29f. I hope that this doesn't present a problem since it would be nice to see this team stay together.

Good game guys. Well done! :thumbsup:

I thought this game was incredibly challenging in the early to mid-game, but by very late-mid to end game we were really just going through the motions. We seem to be a fairly strong team overall, despite being out of the laurels, and it appears that we'll probably place somewhere in the top third. I guess what I'm trying to say is that given the high-caliber of play in this competition and given the fact that I don't think any team will post a loss this month, the level could still be turned up a notch.

Of the variants listed, both Zero-Research Space and OBC sound very challenging and perhaps more interesting than a 5CC only because I've played 5CCs before. Although I suspect an OBC will be a little easier than a 5CC in the long run.

mad-bax said:
You guys will have to install the GOTM mod in order to play it in 1.29f. I hope that this doesn't present a problem since it would be nice to see this team stay together.
I would suspect since tao, Zwingli and myself are Mac players, the patch isn't a problem and we're already patched up. I assume if we're playing GOTMs currently, we can use that already patched version of civ instead of patching our vanilla to post-GOTM25? Furiey has already posted her willingness to patch and she has broadband too, a big plus. Maybe we can even entice her to start playing the GOTM too. :)

Demiurge said:
I thought this game was incredibly challenging in the early to mid-game, but by very late-mid to end game we were really just going through the motions. We seem to be a fairly strong team overall, despite being out of the laurels, and it appears that we'll probably place somewhere in the top third. I guess what I'm trying to say is that given the high-caliber of play in this competition and given the fact that I don't think any team will post a loss this month, the level could still be turned up a notch.
Despite being the weakest link in the team (this was my first attempt above Monarch) I would have to agree here. At first I really was not sure which way the game was going to go, then we got a GL and built the Great Library gaining Monarchy (et al), revolted with only 2 turns of anarchy, following which we started our Golden Age. It was still not easy at that point, but I would guess that that was the turning point.

I have not attempted any of the possible variants mentioned so they all sound pretty challenging to me…

Demiurge said:
I would suspect since tao, Zwingli and myself are Mac players, the patch isn't a problem and we're already patched up. I assume if we're playing GOTMs currently, we can use that already patched version of civ instead of vanilla? Furiey has already posted her willingness to patch and she has broadband too, a big plus. Maybe we can even entice her to start playing the GOTM too. :)
I would guess GOTM Mac players just use that patched version, I will patch my Vanilla. As for GOTM, I have played a couple before, although at Conquest Level (with PTW) and I never managed to complete in time to submit – in fact GOTM21 (albeit conquest level) was my first ever attempt above Regent. I have been wondering whether I have time to start another game between now and the next SGOTM and have started eyeing CGOTM34, so you never know…

I am playtesting 3 different variants, those being 5CC, OBC (one built city) and Zero Research Space race.
All three of the varients sound interesting, although not extremely difficult :). The challenge will come from achieving a fast victory, which will require unconventional strategy (especially for non-research Space Race). I am thinking that many of the teams will be looking for an easier game after this month's warfest. I expect 2-4 losses this month (at least 1 diplomatic or SR defeat due to tech deficit) and a couple brutally difficult wins.

Edit:
I think the currently unfinished varient teams fall into 3 catagories.

Runaway Victory
Staff
X-team
Peanut

These teams have a dominating position, and are poised to win while the AI is in the early industrial era.

Conquest Loss
Sesn

This team looks to be in a downward spiral and is losing territory with every turn.

Difficult Victory/Tech Loss
All other varient teams

These teams probably won't lose by conquest, but could still lose by UN if they can't make an impression on the second continent in time. Given the difficulty we and other teams have had assulting the second continent, doing sufficient damage against factory equipped AI civs with tanks is not a trivial task. Nonetheless, if they stave off a tech loss they will eventually win.

Yes, the cries of pain have been heard. ;) So at least the opportunity to play a building game next time. It was going to be 3CC conquest, but someone already did that IIRC.

Zwingli said:
Conquest Loss
Sesn
It appears you were right afterall Zwingli. I hadn't checked all the threads prior to posting. Has anyone tried to analyze our game yet to see where we might have improved? Maybe tao will we he gets back.

@Furiey: Having played after you this game, and being able to get a better feel for your playstyle, I think you underestimate yourself. I don't think you'll have any problem when you decide to play emperor on your own games. I know I've improved my gameplay immensely just by playing alongside everyone and now feel much more confident than I used to.

I'm back and everything is over. :thumbsup: Congratulations to the team. To all the discussion above, I can only re-iterate that IMHO the Great Library was a crucial stepping stone, since without it we would have been backward and might have missed the Middle Age Wonders caused by not having the techs to rush them by Leaders.

Please also note that we did pillage the Aztec saltpeter at least once with an explorer to prevent them from building cavalry.

I also enjoyed the team play, especially noticing that Zwingli prefers a more extremely aggressive style, while I prefer some safeguards.

Re: Furiey's question on possible improvements:
  1. IMHO The Pyramids would have helped a lot, but there was very little WE could do for it.
  2. In hindsight, it might have been better to place Greece earlier on the menu, because that would have allowed earlier eastward expansion of our core, while the northern AIs were busy fighting among themselves.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - putting Greece last on our continent effectively gave us the choice of when to fight them - there was nothing to stop us declaring on them earlier than their time. Of course, rather a lot seemed to be happening and it didn't even cross my mind to consider that...

I also noticed Zwingli's more aggressive style - at times he kicked us forward (and a good thing too) when I would have held back a little longer.

Thanks Demiurge, I know my game is improving, I'm learning all the time. Perhaps I need to find the time to play more games by myself to find out how much, but at the moment with the limited time I have for Civ, that doesn't seem likely. I was going to have a go at the current CGOTM as I'm on holiday this week, but so far I've done nothing more than open the save :(

Top Bottom