Sheaim Society

I don't think normal people could ever live in a society driven by an agenda so sick, the only choice for those people would be just to flee, otherwise you would have to be in contact with Pyre Zombies, Eater of Dreams and other mad experiments.

So people who try to run away become sacrifices in the most gruesome, painful rituals they can think up. Or else some sort of slavery worse than death is thought up. And if the person actually does succeed in escaping, they find some poor wanderer whom no one will miss and who looks somewhat like the person who escaped, and sacrifice that person in such a way that no one gets a close enough look to know it was the wrong person.

If people do not believe escape is possible, the vast majority of them will not attempt it.

If I am remembering correctly only about 2% of the Sheaim society know the true goal, namely that they are bent on destroying the world. Others are there for arcane power.

Just my luck – a topic on my favourite topic appearing just when I'm off working away from FFH and stuff. Either way, I'll drop my five cents on the topic: A random selection of my ideas of Sheaim society, as seen in some write-ups from a thread linked earlier, in a few bullet-points:

* Os-Gabella leads a government of women, mainly adopted daughters. The highest positions are held by the women, with the one exception of Tebryn, who deals with arcane matters.

* Order is kept and war waged through three separate forces. One is. .the regular army, where the skilled are rewarded by their own merits, men and women alike (the highest commander is always female, and part of the government). The second are the arcane corps, led by Tebryn, responsible for mages, the penitent legions of pyre zombies and whatever the gates produce. Executioners also bleong to the arcane corps, since fire magic is required for the pyres, and death for the zombies. The third is an all-female order of assassins, spies, reclusive mages and small elite military units. Linn, the only named original character appearing in my short stories, is a young member of this one.

* Tebryn controls an underground organization of spies, mages and informants that have a large amount of control over the Sheaim nation. It is uncertain how much of this Gabella is aware of –. .either she is in the dark, or allows this control for her own purposes. Maybe large parts of the organization has even been subverted? Possibly even twice? Endless possibilities for intrigue.

* The legal code emphasizes freedom behind closed doors, though the few major crimes are punished harshly: Murder, repeated theft, banditry and such by burning, while the worst crimes – examplified by treason, mass-murder and rape (Remember, Os-Gabella rules.) also have the criminal's soul bound to the charred remains to serve in eternity as a pyre zombie.

* Sheaim commoners are generally private people, though quite friendly within the family, and once the ice has melted to strangers, so to speak.

* Women are seen as equal to men, though the society is not a matriarchy as such, apart from the highest levels.

* Last names are not fixed, and follow pseudo-nordic patterns: Svein, a random citizen, might for example call himself Svein Thursson, for his father Thure. He might also call himself Svein Almsson, for his mother Alma, or Svein Sveinsson, for his great-great-great-grandfather, a great hero by the name of Svein. Women use similar conventions, so Svein's sister Heimla might call herself Heimla Thursdottír or Heimla Almdottír. Marriage does not normally include the adoption of the last name of your spouse. Orphans with unknown parents do not use last names, while "daughters" of Os-Gabella go by Gabeldottír if the situation demands.

* Heavy crime is low, even in cities. Seeing criminals bound to burn in eternity marching down the street does that.

* Prostitution is frowned upon by the government, but is still present in larger cities.

* Religion is encouraged if present, but not normally compulsory.

* Os-Gabella may or may not engage in ritual sacrifice of new-born boys taken by her daughters, in an attempt to appease gods and/or study the process of dying, hoping to apply it to herself.

* Magic is taught in guilds closely bound to the arcane corps and ministry, and Tebryn himself oversees any elevation to the rank of Archmage. Mages are men, more often than not –. .Archmage is the highest rank a man can aspire to, and many harbor plans of replacing Tebryn in time. Unlicensed magic is allowed, but not encouraged, and skilled practitioners often find themselves "convinced" to join the corps.

* People disappear. It's a fact of life, deal with it.

* Racism is mostly a non-issue. Undead, orcs, lizardmen, dwarves or elves, all are allowed and left more or less alone, even if distrusted by some.

's all.

One little note that's been dwelling in my mind, and might eventually grow into a prospective 'pedia entry. The history section mentions manticores as an example of one of the creatures created by Kylorin's students. As Os-Gabella was one of his students (and was supposed to be a master of Dimensional magic) perhaps she stuffed the Manticores into a convenient pocket dimension after she and the other students were beaten by Kylorin (I assume Os-Gabella would've done a runner lest she suffer the same fate as Perpentach and Barbatos).

Top Bottom