Rise

Chieftain
My system is

Windows XP Home
Service pack 2
Intel (r) pentium (r) 4 cpu 2.40ghz
512 RAM
NVIDIA geforce4 mx 440 with agp8x

you should probably wait a couple of weeks and see what's going on... erm... let's just say it's a bit buggy right now

your system seems fine tho

ok thanks for the advice i may just wait awhile but temptation probably willget the better of me

Your video card is at minimum requirements. Try the system test here.

I would count on having to buy a new video card first.

Honestly friend, I have a slightly better computer than you, 768 mb ram, and the same video card, and it runs until the late 19th century, then i crash at every turn. You and I both need new video cards. :(

His specs are almost like my laptop,only go version of the video card, and a slower AMD processor. Runs fine except for the food bug in a post here, and wonder music stuttering. I only play small maps or smaller and those run fine, I make no guarantees for larger ones.

Rise said:
ok i need a new video card what do you guys suggest?

frankly, i'd wait to see whether you actually NEED a new card. i'd hate to think more people are dropping dough on hardware they may not actually need.

i DID in fact buy a new card b/c i was having the [supposed] T&L problem with my intel 8xx card. intel says that card does NOT support T&L thus, i figured i would always have a problem with that card regardless of whether or not there was a software patch put out to help other folks. i got the fx5200 and it did solve my immediate problem. no more black terrain, no more chesire cat leaders. BUT...the game still runs choppy and slow. so....

i'd say wait and see if they offer some other recommendations before you spend more $ than you need to. in a few more days or weeks, we'll all probably have a better idea what works and what doesn't.

Rise said:
My system is

Windows XP Home
Service pack 2
Intel (r) pentium (r) 4 cpu 2.40ghz
512 RAM
NVIDIA geforce4 mx 440 with agp8x

I have the exact same system and same video card, my game runs good but its a lil laggy, Im thinking its a ram problem and will probably upgrade to 1G in the next few days

I'd wait until there are fixes released for this game either by civ patches or video card driver patches. I can run everything at the highest level and 4x anti-aliasing with a ati 9600xt 128mb and it looks good to me -- when it doesn't crash to the desktop, reboot, or go all to hell... which will happen anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours into the game. From what I've been reading though, it doesn't look to be card specific.
But right now, this game doesn't warrent purchasing any equipment for.

The game itself, is simply amazing. The CTDs and Reboots are not. If you dont like frustration from playing for stretches at a time and then crashing, wait until we find the source of all these crashes and reboots.

Top Bottom