1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I build Horse Archers?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by ImmortaI Reborn, Mar 1, 2011.

1. ImmortaI Reborn

ImmortaI Reborn Chieftain

Ive had this game for about 3 weeks and started playing online about a week ago. Learned real quick that its all about war. With that being said, I usually use Catherine, and tech AH and then Bronze. The question is if I have horses in my fat cross, should I try and rush horse archers, which is very slow, cause I gotta tech horses and archers. Or should I just rush chariots? Then if I find bronze in my fat cross should I switch over?

2. ImmortaI Reborn

ImmortaI Reborn Chieftain

Anybody gonna respond?

3. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

These days the games in the lobby are all about chariots rushes, which is a bit lame.

It all depends - if you have copper in the BFC, use it to make spears and prevent being overrun by those pesky chariots.

4. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

If, you don't have copper, then, build your Holkans, because, you thought ahead and chose Maya.
    :)
    Chariots rule on epic and marathon games.
    HAs do well when faces with opponents like Alexander of Greece.

5. TeraHammer

TeraHammer Prince

no, build tanks, they are better.

6. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

You can use both, get like 4 chariots and rest HAs in a nice stack.

7. Si_Lurker

Si_Lurker Warlord

There are few reasons for building fast units:
    1) It's hard to counter them and you force opponent to build spears which are useless for other roles
    2) Scouting/sentinel - it's good to know if some opponent sends 10 axemen towards you
    3) Pillaging/stealing workers - if you manage to steal a worker and pillage oponent a bit very early, you will cripple him for the rest of the game
    4) Dagger - especially with city elimination if you strike with a stack of 20 chariots/horsearchers/knights where unexpected you will be able to raze a city

The best defence to this is having your own fast stack, since if opponent moves a stack into your territory, you will be able to bring your fast stack into threatened city, whip a few archers/longbows and hit hit stack before he hits you.

Still if you build a stack of fast units, you should have some slow units (axes/swords/spears) around.

8. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Si_Lurker, Woods2 warriors and axemen do better at worker stealing. The AI knows a mounted unit can move 2 tiles. It considers the meleee unit a 1 tile movement max, so, we can sneak up on workers and catch them.

9. Luigiii2

Luigiii2 Chieftain

In my opinion, horse archers are a bit under-powered. Axe armies with a couple chariots for support should do fine in most cases.

10. Sueff

Sueff Warlord

Since we are in the MP forum noone cares what the AI does and does not know. :)

11. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

We play MP with plenty of AI, go to a high level and we end up just trying to survive massive AI attacks - although we've modded the game to make it HARD to survive. Lots of plumbing language and losing games keeps it from being boring!