Should we disband all cultural buildings in Gordium?

Sell our culture?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

classical_hero

In whom I trust
Gordium will expand in three turns and this will mean that we will win by domination, rather than culture. Our goal was to win by culture.

According to Civassit, we will go beyond the domination limt when we expand. We are ony one tile away from domination.

From an aesthtic point of view, we should not deny cultural benfits from our citizens for any reason. The people of Gordium deserve all that they have worked for, and should not have it taken away to fulfill some generic game perameter.

How do you want to offend the people: by denying their (our) vote? Or removing their culture? We probably should have thught about this before taking our usual route of decimating our neighbors. The dilemma should have been addressed much sooner.

I vote an emphatic NO and urge all others who believe in the ideal aspects of the game to do the same. I do not expect the number crunchers (aka those that miss the point of this game entirely) to follow suit.

I say we should keep the cultural buildings in place. Each little culture will also (IIRC) add to our score once the game ends.

Donovan Zoi said:
From an aesthtic point of view, we should not deny cultural benfits from our citizens for any reason. The people of Gordium deserve all that they have worked for, and should not have it taken away to fulfill some generic game perameter.

How do you want to offend the people: by denying their (our) vote? Or removing their culture? We probably should have thught about this before taking our usual route of decimating our neighbors. The dilemma should have been addressed much sooner.

I vote an emphatic NO and urge all others who believe in the ideal aspects of the game to do the same. I do not expect the number crunchers (aka those that miss the point of this game entirely) to follow suit.
thats the same reason I voted no,
its not worth winning by culure if we have to starve a city from it

Time to get this game over with.

^ ^ ^
:lol: :rolleyes: :lol:
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

Pity that peaches have pits . . .

Maybe we should do a repoll again on "Do we REALLY want to win by domination?". ;)

Strider said:
Time to get this game over with.
Cant wait to get started with Demogame 7 and bring in the old rules back? ;)

Donovan Zoi said:

First two paragraphs: this is complete nonsense to me. The only way to win this game by 130K culture (which we voted for TWICE already) is to stop Gordium from expanding. Selling culture buildings is the least painful way to achieve that, especially for the "people of Gordium". Oh, and by the way, this WAS addressed much sooner, by one of your beloved number crunchers.

Last paragraph: I suppose I am one of those number-crunchers and I find this paragraph rather offensive and narrow-minded. I gather that some people here prefer to play the game without thinking ahead (or perhaps without thinking at all :lol: ), and I have tried to respect that point of view.
Suggesting that those people who feel that game decisions have to made in a consistent way, based on reasoning supported by facts, "miss the point of the game entirely" and "do not believe in the ideal aspects of the game" (whatever that point and ideal may be - don't you think that different people may have different goals here? :confused: ) is a statement that can only be meant to offend, or to childishly vent pent-up anger. I don't think any of the "number-crunchers" (who are they, anyway?) ever resorted to such tactics.

I'll not vote on this one. I suppose I shouldn't get in the way of those who want to end it. Losing interest plays a role as well....

EDIT: repaired smilies

zyxy said:
Last paragraph: I suppose I am one of those number-crunchers and I find this paragraph rather offensive and narrow-minded. I gather that some people here prefer to play the game without thinking ahead (or perhaps without thinking at all :lol: ), and I have tried to respect that point of view.
Suggesting that those people who feel that game decisions have to made in a consistent way, based on reasoning supported by facts, "miss the point of the game entirely" and "do not believe in the ideal aspects of the game" (whatever that point and ideal may be - don't you think that different people may have different goals here? :confused: ) is a statement that can only be meant to offend, or to childishly vent pent-up anger. I don't think any of the "number-crunchers" (who are they, anyway?) ever resorted to such tactics.

The Democracy Game has always been two games in one with two ways of looking at the game. One way of looking at it is that we're playing a game of Civ, as a team, within a structure which mimics a government. The other way to look at it is that we're simulating a society using the Civ game as a way to regulate that society and provide the story line. Some people are driven by playing the game of Civ as perfectly as possible, others are "driven" by having the Democracy "work well".

Unfortunately, it seems getting enjoyment from the game does not go both ways. Call the "play civ wihin a democracy" camp the "C" team and "play democracy within a civ game" the "D" team -- in general terms the C folks will be happy with a D-type game, but the D folks will just walk away from a C-type game. Once the discussion turns to game play mechanics fun is gone if your intent is to mimic the society, because from the society's citizens point of view they don't have omniscienct abilities that a game player does have.

Or to put it another way, from the "D" point of view our actions should be similar to the civ we're playing. Would the real-world English effectively sack their own town to artificially avoid going over a mystical limit on how much territory to hold?

No, DZ's post is not what you think it is. It is a call to bring the DG back to a democracy which happens to be regulated by a civ game, so that those who prefer role play can still have fun.

DaveShack said:
Would the real-world English effectively sack their own town to artificially avoid going over a mystical limit on how much territory to hold?
Well there is no mystical limit in the real-world, but public buildings such as libraries are being closed to be replaced by larger buildings in other towns nearby. There are also cultural artefacts being returned to the country from which they were taken in the days of empire.

Sigh... I would love it if we could mod the game to the effect of us having a civil war and turn it into a PBEM, with domination people being the "rebels" and taking control of half of the empire. T'would be quite fun.

RegentMan said:
Sigh... I would love it if we could mod the game to the effect of us having a civil war and turn it into a PBEM, with domination people being the "rebels" and taking control of half of the empire. T'would be quite fun.

*shh* Don't let Strider and Falcon hear that! ;)
(DG1 joke)

classical_hero said:
Please vote in this poll. I put this poll up so that we can win by the method we had chosen already. Do the right thing and end this game the way it should be ended, and that is by culture. Do not get put off by these people who want it their way. We have put the poll up many times and it has come back in favour of culture. I say to you that you do the right thing and vote to disband all cultural buildings.

BTW, if this poll is tied, then we will disband the cultural buildings in Gordium.
If we were planning ahead we wouldnt have been conquoring soo much, or we would not have built culture on the front line in the first place...

What an embarrassment. Convenience and coercion over principle.

Let the war games continue, imperialist swine! You can take away their books and try to capture their souls, but the people of Gordium will not forget this outrageous decision visited upon them by Congress. :ninja:

And to think they are the lucky ones. In our nation's soulless thirst for more blood, our military strategy has now switched to razing the cities of the weak, once again to fulfill some in-game parameter. Why not end war altogether, so that our cultural message may actually ring true? Alas, that would be too easy, as our automatonic military strategy seems to require that an enemy(?) skull be lodged under our boot at all times.

What an embarrassing victory this will be. The worst of all time. Yet thanks to the complicity of the press, these war crimes will be glossed over when our victory hits the front page in the near future.

I am off to Gordium to incite their good people into action. Perhaps you can use my act of defiance to raze Gordium once and for all, and buy yourself a bit more time. (hint, hint....wink, wink)

Maybe you should start a thread.

Delphi County II

;)

We need some good roleplay..

Top Bottom