Should we get peace with Egypt?

Should we declare peace with Egypt on the 5/7 chat turn?

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaitan

der Besucher
In all likelihood we will be emerging from our anarchy into a Republic. If this should happen, do we want to continue our war against Egypt? Do we want peace with them even if we are a Monarchy? Further expansion into Egypt is not supported by our Manifest Destiny.

I'm not able to check to see what we can get from Egypt at this time. If somebody who has the game available could check and post it here that would be a great help.

If they do not want anything for peace, then I say we sign a treaty.

I say we take two more cities as we are close to them.

1 The one with Iron (Just south of Byblos)
2 The capital Thebes.
3 Then ask for peace and see if we can squeeze a city out of them. (Preferrably the one near Fox Nest)

I did not vote as I do not want immediate peace but I would like to see peace by "turn"s end. Another source of Iron would be nice not only for us but to deny others. :D

Let our mighty Immortals slice thru' the puny Egyptian empire and leave them with very little to restart another empire. I say we press forward to get as many resources as we can.

Take thier capital and a few other main cities, then sue for peace. :rocket2:

Depends. If we choose a Monarchy, then absolutely not. With China also attacking them, Egypt will probably crumble. Do we want China to get all the spoils?

If we choose Republic, & our citizens tolerate the war, then again, no, for the same reason.

However, if we choose Republic, & our citizens start revolting because of our aggression of war, then yes.

I don't think I can choose.

It has been repeated numerous times that our luxuries and improvements will sustain us in times of war during a Republic. Let's test this. I believe all of Egypt is in our Manifest Destiny. We need all of this area as a bottleneck to block advancement of other nations into our territory. This is also key to trade routes.

I think they only have 3 main cities left. Alexandria, Thebes and the one with Iron (whatever it is called.) I think that by taking them over all the way might over-extend our capabilites.

Originally posted by Cyc
It has been repeated numerous times that our luxuries and improvements will sustain us in times of war during a Republic. Let's test this. I believe all of Egypt is in our Manifest Destiny. We need all of this area as a bottleneck to block advancement of other nations into our territory. This is also key to trade routes.
Clarifier on Manifest Destiny: There are loads of good reasons to continue the war against Egypt - the ones Cyc points out as well as others mentioned in posts above. Manifest Destiny is not one of them. Our Manifest Destiny was defined as extending our territory to the effective reach of the Capital's area of effect. Asyut may qualify but territory further into Egypt will not.

I agree with Cyc on this one. Switching to Republic need not impinge too heavily on our ability to fight a limited war against one or two enemy civs. If we decide to make peace with Babylon once the alliance with the Aztecs has expired then it becomes even less of an issue. I'd consider the lands (and valuable resources) of Egypt to be part of our manifest destiny, so we should push on and show the world that we don't need oppressive political systems to achieve our ultimate goals.

Originally posted by Shaitan

Clarifier on Manifest Destiny: There are loads of good reasons to continue the war against Egypt - the ones Cyc points out as well as others mentioned in posts above. Manifest Destiny is not one of them. Our Manifest Destiny was defined as extending our territory to the effective reach of the Capital's area of effect. Asyut may qualify but territory further into Egypt will not.

Good point, Shaitan. I think Asyut qualifies as this and should be a top priority, as per our Manifest Destiny, even if we can get it peacefully in an agreement. Taking Egyptian cities near their heartland is risky if Egypt is not fully eliminated.

However, there may be strategic reasons why we may want to continue war on Egypt. I guess that is what this poll is for.

I'm also wondering about the poll wording. Are you suggesting that we make peace any time during the turn? Any time within 8 or so game turns? Immediately? I think I might vote yes, once Asyut is ours.

OK. I'll concede the point, but seriously, heading for Alexandria and Elephantine (while taking Thebes and Heliopolis along the way) would be a very decisive and strategic move when considering future planning. Taking Thebes will help in the flipping matter and the other three will set up the bottleneck control. Why would we want to stop when it is laid out in front of us and our forces are right there to advance? If Daaraa's assumptions about us stretching our forces too thin are correct, then I think edit: knight : production/upgrade should be used for quick reinforcements. We need to control the passage way.

Originally posted by chiefpaco
I'm also wondering about the poll wording. Are you suggesting that we make peace any time during the turn? Any time within 8 or so game turns? Immediately? I think I might vote yes, once Asyut is ours.
Sometime during the turn. Pretty poorly worded, now that you point that out.

The majority of NO votes have been qualified with "take X cities, then get peace". I wish I had thought to put that in the poll. Due to time constraints a repoll isn't going to be possible though. I will tally these as "write-in" votes and give the Pres instructions based on the poll and citizen comments.

I have a big problem taking polls too literally :) I think a general consensus will be acceptable as a result of your question & applicable to our situation.

Seriously, any time a poll is posted by anyone, I think it is of best interest to be as precise as possible, limit the choices, & qualify any uncertainties with a follow-up question in the opening post. Realizing this is a quick poll, I appreciate the effort Shaitan is putting forth.

If it is not too late, I recommend we take Aslyt and Thebes, the capital. Destroying Thebes will reset a great deal of their accumulated culture, reducing the risk of flips and allowing our borders to fill into the vacuum.

Perhaps a poor choice of words, I believe it is our national policy to capture all cities we attack unless it auto-razes, so no, I didn't mean destroy the city. But taking it will destroy their cultural improvements and reset their culture total, and allow us to build new cultural buildings of our own!

Top Bottom