Should we have a "Bad Player Game of the Month?"

Four Four Seven

Spearman
I think the concept of the Game of the Month is a great one. However, there is a large segment of us who simply can't beat the AI at Emporer, who rarely have time for a long game, and who are shocked at the ridiculously high scores some people come up with.

Solution? A "Bad Player Game of the Month!" I propose we institute a second (informal) GOTM for those of us who aren't Civ aces! My humble suggestions for this:

1) If you can beat Emporer, you're not eligible. You can still play, but your score won't show up in the standings. This is the minor leagues, we don't want superstars!

2) We'll play at the medium levels. I personally would prefer Regent and maybe Monarch if we're feeling particularly bold. If people want easier levels, especially to start out, that would be okay, too.

3) We'll only play on tiny, small, and standard size maps. There tends to be a direct correlation between being a bad player and playing less frequently. In order to have time to get a game done, we need to keep the map smaller.

4) I've read all about the strategies for scoring high ("milking", "ICS" and all those other fancy terms... ). Those, again, take more time. I suggest we simply look your ranking by year of victory. Perhaps we have winners for each type of victory. If you lose (like we bad players often do), you note your year of defeat. Tiebreaker for same-year victory can be score, I suppose. That's it!

5) If you win the "Bad Player Game of the Month," you go into the "Bad Player Hall of Fame." Note that if you win again, we may get annoyed at your ability, and we'll ban you! ;)

6) If you cheat/use trainers in the "Bad Player Game of the Month," you clearly have nothing better to do with your time, and that's just plain sad. But maybe we can allow a limited number of reloads for those who don't think through their actions too carefully? Then again, that's a slippery slope, so maybe not...

What do people think? I'm interested especially in the opinion of other "bad players."

Sort of like the NASCAR Bush series, I suppose. Well, I qualify. But, surely if one can win on monarch their not a bad player. Are they? I mean I'm trying, really I am.

I support all your options except #4. And, #6 is .... eh.

I don't know why I'm posting on this any how. I've got a mac and still playing 1.21. In fact, we have our own informal GOTM running. See ya.

Yes, the tournament solves all/most of your issues except #5 and #6. There are 5 different divisions to play in. They play on tiny - large maps (1 game on each size map). They emphasize fast finishes (year of victory). Score does play a role, but not much. Speed is more important. For each game (I believe they still hold them about every 2 weeks), there is a different victory condition to shoot for.

I'm a horrible tennis player, but I actually play better against more advanced opponents than I do against people as bad or worse. Just do it....fear nothing...don't be afraid to lose...

*chugging Powerade as I post* :hammer:

here here! I died 2 times in 10 turns in the current GOTM... I gave up now :(

Originally posted by SirJethro
...Just do it....fear nothing...don't be afraid to lose...
Absolutely! :goodjob:

There should be 2 versions. A chieftain/warlord one and a regent /monarch one. I also like playing for a long time. I don't like fast finishes. Maybe something like total food/shields/commerce when you win. Recording the number of save/restores is a good idea (not including at the beginning of a session of course.) Plus each game should have amount of water, amount of land, etc. to allow different kinds of games and players.

Man, I like the idea.
However, if it has to be a BAD Player contest, than you must NOT win the game!!! :nono:

I mean, in order to win the Bad Player GOTM you should have got the fastest and most humiliating loss of all, and scored the least points.
Of course, this should not be the purpose of the game: everyone should be playing to win: like the GOTM, this could not be checked but left to the participants' responsibility.

Now, this would automatically rule out all the best players, because they just can't help but win with thouse outrageously high scores... ;P

Well, if you can't beat emperor, that doesn't qualify you as a bad player. The last GOTM was on regent, I did manage a fast diplomatic victory. That is, in my standards it was a quick diplomatic victory. But the nice thing about GOTM is that I can now (or better, when matrix uploads the rankings) compare my own style with that of someone who is better than me.

Thus, I'll become a better player. I have no intention of winning a GOTM, not only because I know that is out of my league, but also because I have no intention of milking (by the way, I've still to meet the guy with scores like Aeson's in person. untill then, I don't think it's human)

So what's the point of a bad player league? You don't simply want your name here on CFC, do you? Just play the GOTM, but only the easier levels, and learn something. But read my lips: this GOTM will be my first emperor victory:lol:

Phil Martin and I had a little contest to see who could win at GOTM with the LOWEST score.

Of course then Sullla came along and showed us how to do it!

The problem is that GOOd players can do anything better than bad players - even scoring LESS if they want to. Its all about understanding the mechanics of the game.

Col,

You hit the nail on the head!!

Some of these discussions of "Bad Player Only" tournaments and special game conditions for GOTM play, are a reaction to high milked scores that truly require lots of work.

But a much bigger issue is just to try and help players focus on the tactical tools that will let them get to first base in the game.

Civ3 IS a strategy game and not just some shooter game on a map. Many people do not realy grasp how important the manipulative strategies ana positions can really be to determining how the game plays. Even before you can play good strategies you have to possess some basic tactical skills that give your the power to implement your strategies.

I cringe everytime someone posts a comment that they have difficulty winning on warlord or regent. Not because I'm that great, but because it really is easy to beat the crap out of all your rivals at those difficulty levels.

These are just some of the reasons for creating the strategy example pages that try to help people focus on improving how they can improve their play of the first 50 to 100 turns of the game.

Forget tanks; ignore cruise missles; don't even think about nukes or stealth. All this stuff is eye candy to distract you from playing the opening game like you deserve to rule the world.

Here's a direct link to the articles on Improving Your Opening Play Sequences:

Improving Your Opening Play Sequences

If any one of the self-professed "bad players" reads this article and plays through the example scenarios without giving them the skills to increase their chosen difficulty level by at least one level, then I will personally pay for their pay for their brain transplant. ;)

We also have another competitive game format in the planning stages that will let people of different skill levels play the same game on different difficulty levels and still compare results. We'll have more announcements on this new game format in the coming weeks but you can access some of the preliminary in formation through the links that already exist in the article referenced above.

Guys, don't dismiss what the other two have said about the tournament. Things are a little slow over there at the moment, but I believe there are all new webpages in the works, and I hear there's going to be a link on the main CFC website soon. It really does answer most of your problems - It has small games if you like, and the primary victory condition is finish date, although there is a score componant.

Season 3 opens up soon (Friday the 13th or so). Give it a try!

Top Bottom