Sid Meier’s Civilisation VI: The Kotaku Re-Review

Did people never play Civ III?
I DID! 🙋‍♀️ It's actually my second favorite version after Civ 6. Probably in the minority there, but I had a ton of fun modding that version. I only wish I had the time to go back and explore the options Flintlock's mod has opened up.

I DID! 🙋‍♀️ It's actually my second favorite version after Civ 6. Probably in the minority there, but I had a ton of fun modding that version. I only wish I had the time to go back and explore the options Flintlock's mod has opened up.
Civ2 remains the most easily moddable, by far. Some mods and scenarios in the SL step well beyond the bounds of what's expected of, "Civ," in very innovative ways. ToT's adding of four layered maps, with different terrains and scriptable ways of travel between them still remains a grand feature. But Civ3 is cool, too, and I just bought the GoG version for $10 or something when I dusted off my CD-ROM's and they wouldn't work in Windows 10.

I probably actually logged the most time on III but that's mostly because I was a had a lot of free time at that point. It had a lot of good ideas, that weren't exactly fleshed out that well, but helped build later games. Coming off of AC it never really felt that good though, like a step back. But looking back it opened up the possibilities of great leaders especially.

Did people never play Civ III?
I did after playing tons of Civ2, my entry into the series…and hated it… I think I played 2 or 3 games then stopped…

6 is receiving a lot of flak in here, I tend to disagree… For all it’s flaws, it kept (and still keeps) me coming back for more.

To me, replayabilty is the main point. in Civ 6, they have succeeded imho at making the civs feel and play different and offered a lot of them, on top of making THAT part of the game easily moddable. I think this is to be loudly praised so that next iteration keeps this as a success.

I also, contrary to many, think the district system is fabulous and fun. Is it perfect ? no of course not. But I think it’s a great add to the game, just make it replaceable and it’ll be fine.

Really, just make the game much better at going for specific win conditions, and better in general at handling it’s armies and most importantly at handling sea and air units, and the game will be a jewel.

And yes, please, get rid of diplo win or remake it altogether !

Edit: Oh… almost forgot… Not saving the hall of fame in the cloud and losing it on reinstall is totally shameful imo… please correct this in the next iteration, hall of fame means a LOT to some players

Last edited:
Top Bottom