Sid Meier Civ 5 has stopped working Crash

Same problem as well. From the event log

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.20, time stamp: 0x4ca37045
Faulting module name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.20, time stamp: 0x4ca37045
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001d7905
Faulting process id: 0xcb0

Same happend to me, i just reinstalled steam and civ V and it works now again. I think windows 7 sees it as a spyware thing or something. I got crashes after a windowsupdate i think. but the same 0xc0000005 code i had.

I continue to get the crashes with the message mentioned at the top of this thread. Today, three crashes; two towards the end of a game (but nowhere near 70 cities), and one fairly early in the next. This time crashes did not seem as random as last time. They occurred after a special event, some of which presumably required a lot of processing. For instance, I took out a city-state that another city-state wanted taken out; the surviving city state and I became allies, so I got their resources, including coal, and I had been unable to build factories in most of my cities due to a lack of coal. So I can see how that might have required a large amount of processing and/or memory access. (But I'm running an i5 with 4 GB DDR3, so I don't know why that would create a problem. Operating system is Win 7 Pro (64-bit).)

Is this helpful to de-buggers, or am I just wasting my time and yours typing this stuff? Sure hope the bugs get cleaned up soon.

Same problem as well. From the event log

Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.20, time stamp: 0x4ca37045
Faulting module name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.0.20, time stamp: 0x4ca37045
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001d7905
Faulting process id: 0xcb0

:sad: i have the exact same problem and my crash usualy happens mid game when i try to move the units the game freezes also if i dont play the game and just let it sit it still crashes. This has been happening non stop even after the fixes recomended by steam forums. Sometimes it happens on turn 5 sometimes i can wait as long as turn 400, but no matter what it happens
hd 4870
8gb RAM
2.6 quad

damn annoyed put most my weekend into a game as russia on a largemap and now in the year 1992 when i end turn it gets to a certain point with the ai and crashes everytime. i have tried everyting in can think of even gone back 10 turns or more but always always crashes at that point.

The game has became stupidly slow at this point. Maybe its the too many cities theory. i wont be playing this game again until they have patched these performance issues. I like this game otherwise and have defended it up to now....

This might sound REALLY strange, but try deleting all of your workers. High worker count cuases my game to slow down immensely (2 minutes per turn) or just straight up crash it. I deleted my workers and game worked (pun intended).

Having similar issues with one game which is one standard map settings. Is there a unit cap or city cap?
Can't really be as I defeated a lot of the AI units and this shouldn't be the issue. Why should the worker count make such a difference? Will try it our tonight though.

I don't have a clue why workers would cause my game to become unstable, but I noticed in late game (1800+) that when my game's auto unit cycle goes for workers, my game would stop for good 10 seconds (if not just crash). So I just disbanded most of my workers and the game began to run fairly smooth again.

I read somewhere that AI's worker count also causes some major slowdown.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94139

:sad: i have the exact same problem and my crash usualy happens mid game when i try to move the units the game freezes also if i dont play the game and just let it sit it still crashes. This has been happening non stop even after the fixes recomended by steam forums. Sometimes it happens on turn 5 sometimes i can wait as long as turn 400, but no matter what it happens
hd 4870
8gb RAM
2.6 quad

I reinstalled Civ and it works perfectly after that. I think some windowsupdate thought civ was a malware or a virus of some soort.

I have exact the same problem, and almost the same system. But it crash when I try start Civ-V.
I have tried to start in both dx9 and dx10/11 mode. Same result.

The only difference between our system is that I have GF9600GT

regards
niklas

I was having crashes with the same error EXTREMELY frequently (every ~10 turns). I updated directx and verified I was running the latest WHQL nvidia drivers, no change. It happened at the same rate in DX9 & DX11 mode.

It turned out it was something in strategic view. I was playing basically solely in strategic view. Most of the crashes seemed to happen during AI turns, or during the 'auto action' phase, after you click end turn yet before it hands off to the AI players.

I switched to only using strat view VERY sparingly, and never ending the turn with it on and I played for maybe 6 hours without a crash.

Total shame, I really like the strategic view.

To me it's completely superior to the 3D view except that there are no (not even basic) battle animations/indicators, and that you can't see the city bar unless you zoom way in. Oh, and that it crashes the game every 15 minutes ;)

sys specs
Win7 Pro x64
Core2Duo (E6600 I think, at work right now, can't check)
4 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Well, I solved my problem. Civ V is working again. :p
What I did was to uninstall the game and there after I removed all the files had with Civ-V to do.
Installed from the DVD, did an install from Steam last time.
It seems that Steam's own did not work out, for any reason :confused:

I have exact the same problem, and almost the same system. But it crash when I try start Civ-V.
I have tried to start in both dx9 and dx10/11 mode. Same result.

The only difference between our system is that I have GF9600GT

regards
niklas

Do you play Offline? If your game does not get patched then it may work just fine. I have had my troubles after the patches were announced. If your game does not say 0.621 or 1.135 then it has not been patched.

I am going to try deleting my workers to see if it helps me, but the last patch Dec.15th did not solve my problem.

This seems to be the place to post...

Civ V has stopped working crash to desktop mid-game. It happens randomly start of the game sometimes but more often later in the game.

I'm running windows 7 64bit, i play the dx11 version mostly but it has happened as dx9 as well.

I did that steam verify integrity of cache trick someone mentioned above and it did find a missing file, but i'm hoping there's a solution other than verifying the game prior to every time i want to play...

my video card:
nvidia gts450 - driver: 260.99_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Application Version: 1.0.1.135
Application Timestamp: 4d065295
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00022262
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

one other question, does Civ5 have any multi-monitor support? it's extremely stubborn trying to tell it which monitor to open in, it feels like it chooses one at random and the other one is turned into a black screen.

If I install Civ from the DVD disc does the game work with Steam and all patches.
But if I install the game from Steam and let the install file to be downloaded does Civ not work at all :confused:

Do you play Offline? If your game does not get patched then it may work just fine. I have had my troubles after the patches were announced. If your game does not say 0.621 or 1.135 then it has not been patched.

I am going to try deleting my workers to see if it helps me, but the last patch Dec.15th did not solve my problem.

If I install Civ from the DVD disc does the game work with Steam and all patches.
Yes, the game has to be launched through Steam.

But if I install the game from Steam and let the install file to be downloaded does Civ not work at all :confused:
Er, it should work just fine...

Yeah i my civ crashes on the strategic view and have the error "civ has stopped working" error

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CivilizationV.exe
Application Version: 1.0.1.135
Application Timestamp: 4d065093
Fault Module Name: CivilizationV.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.1.135
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d065093
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0022dc5f
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

anyone know what this means?

After the last patch I was getting this all the time. The further in turns I was the worse it got. I did note that on the times that I was able to hit Ctrl ALt Del and check available memory, the physical memory was always down to less than 1k left. Most the time it would just state civ5 stopped working and sometimes it would do a complete lockup.

I have 4G of memory: Nvidia 9800 GTX Intel Quadcore. What I did was go into the video options and left the anti aliasing on 2X then turned off or set to the lowest settings the rest of them. I exited civ and then restarted it. When I came back in the game the graphics where terrible but I am at turn 650 now from 409 with 0 crashes. On turn 630 I nuked the heck out of Rome with about 15 armies in the blast radius. There was a 3 second delay after that but the computer kept on playing.

Top Bottom