Sid Meier Civ 5 has stopped working Crash

Had the same thing happen (posted this on the thread about "that cyclic CTD is back again"). Very frustrating. It happened with original Civ 4, and was a reason I just quit playing that altogether until the expansion packs came out.

I am excessively frustrated with Civ V right now. I am tired of the constant crashes, something I have never before experienced in previous games except the rare mod related crash. I am on a Huge map, modern (and some are in the future) era, something like 12 nations (one almost wiped out). I am experiencing crashes every other turn or so, sometimes it takes four or five restarts and/or letting it sit for a day before I can continue. Other times, it works fine after a single reload. ALL crashes in this batch have been during computer turns. At first, I thought it was nuking, but I shut off nukes (set max instances to 0 in the XML) after the most powerful nation built a few (they expended them all by now, I think). At one point, the only way for me to advance was to declare war on someone that I was not ready to fight (fortunately, that worked out well and I picked up 4 cities at little loss). Some things I have tried:

Switch from DirectX 10/11 to 9 when someone reaches the Modern Era. Seems to help even if its graphics are much worse.
Stop having Helicopter Gunships traverse long railroaded areas. Unfortunately, I can't stop the computer from doing this which may be the cause of my current crashes (any confirmation?).

Computer specs:
Intel Quad Core i7 2.80 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows Home Premium 64 bit (could be problem right there)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Card

I am in a really, really interesting part where I am facing off against the most powerful nation in the world that has been at the peak most of the game, has most of the wonders/civics, just steamrolled another nation so they are more than twice the size of the next largest nation, and is the most advanced with largest army. I got them to declare war on three neighbors (all in three different directions) and then backstabbed them by declaring war on them. I hope that all four of us can take them out, but it will be really tough and a lot of fun. We may do okay until they start rolling out the Giant Death Robots then we are screwed.

I just started having the problem today. I had been playing earlier but had saved the game and quit. When I tried to play the game later, it kept taking me back to the steam window and eventually I got it to the option to select the version of Direct X I wished , and once I made my selection, I have tried it with both options, I get the loading screen and then nothing. The window's message that Civ 5 has crashed.

The irony is that I had only resumed play yesterday after a long hiatus caused by my computer crashing after Civ was loaded. After a few turns, the screen would go black and the computer would freeze up. I removed the side door to my case and attached a small household fan, using rubber bands to the computer and the additional cooling allowed my video card to continue functioning. I guess the thermal grease attaching my fan to the video card has gotten old and is no longer effectively transferring heat to the sink.

Anyway, when Civ 5 is functioning, I spend way to much time playing so this problem may be for the best.

I have the same problems as everyone else. Never had this problem before and now I'm crashing to desktop all of the time. Sometimes on turn 90 and sometimes on 200 it doesn't matter it seems to be random.

I looked in the event viewer it say error occurs with steam and DX 11. I did what everyone else does in trying to fix this. I'm done messing around with it. I'm making so many changes to my computer now I don't even know what I did anymore.

What really makes me mad is that I've been playing this game since it came out. One of the few games that I purchased right away instead of waiting for price drop. I've been playing Civ 5 for a very long time with no issues. Now all of a sudden I have issue.

I bought a kick ass machine and so I could play this game. I'm not interested in turning back this, tweak this, check that business. I paid good money for this game I shouldn't have to be a computer programmer (which I am) to get this game to work.

I'm running I7 quad core 2600, 3.40 cpu with 8 meg ram, GTX 550 with 1 meg.

Does anybody have a solution for this nonsense?

I was having crashes with the same error EXTREMELY frequently (every ~10 turns). I updated directx and verified I was running the latest WHQL nvidia drivers, no change. It happened at the same rate in DX9 & DX11 mode.

It turned out it was something in strategic view. I was playing basically solely in strategic view. Most of the crashes seemed to happen during AI turns, or during the 'auto action' phase, after you click end turn yet before it hands off to the AI players.

I switched to only using strat view VERY sparingly, and never ending the turn with it on and I played for maybe 6 hours without a crash.

Total shame, I really like the strategic view.

To me it's completely superior to the 3D view except that there are no (not even basic) battle animations/indicators, and that you can't see the city bar unless you zoom way in. Oh, and that it crashes the game every 15 minutes ;)

sys specs
Win7 Pro x64
Core2Duo (E6600 I think, at work right now, can't check)
4 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 GTS 512

I was having random crashes between turns too when a leader was trying to communicate. I solved the problem by turning the leader scene quality setting to minimum. You do that by going to options then leader scene quality from the main menu in the game. The only down side is the leaders are no longer animated (just get a still picture but with voice). No biggie for me since leader animation isn't anything special anyway in my opinion.

Top Bottom