Sid Meier Interview on Gameplayer

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Aussie gaming site GamePlayer has posted up a 3-page interview with Sid Meier where he talks about Civilization Revolution, in particular how the multiplayer will play out. Below is an excerpt:

Which strengths of the consoles are you leveraging to enhance the Civilization experience?

We see Xbox Live (and PSN) as one of the biggest opportunities for enhancing the Civ experience. Civilization Revolution will deliver the best multiplayer gameplay we’ve ever offered in Civ and we’re excited to take full advantage of everything online has to offer – from the robust multiplayer systems to downloadable content to community building. We will be providing lots of new content through Xbox Live including things like gamer pictures, theme packs and our “Game of the Week” – a Firaxis created game map that will determine the “Best Civ Player in the World” each week. Some of the content will be free and some will be micro-transactions.
Thanks to Chris for the news tip.

Just to comment on that excerpt. Surely we already have the best multiplayer gamplay EVER? :) I understand the need to hype it up for console gamers though. (Especially those that aren't Civvers elsewhere!)

This seems it's going to get longetivity because of Live multiplayer, which I dont' really use my console for. Hmm...might not get it. :\

Another comment - online multiplayer has been available much longer on PCs than on consoles. All of the things they intend to do on XBox Live could have been done for Civ IV on PC. I do not understand why they are treating online multiplayer as a "new" experience, and are all excited about all the features they intend to have for XBox Live (such as "game of the week", player profiles with pictures, downloadable content, online high-scores, etc) when the same could be achieved on the PC.

better have online for the wii if i get one more game that comes semi-done fro the wii im gonna kill osmebody

I wonder if the "game of a week" is only for X-box Live as I'm one gamer who refuses to pay for Live.

Another comment - online multiplayer has been available much longer on PCs than on consoles. All of the things they intend to do on XBox Live could have been done for Civ IV on PC. I do not understand why they are treating online multiplayer as a "new" experience, and are all excited about all the features they intend to have for XBox Live (such as "game of the week", player profiles with pictures, downloadable content, online high-scores, etc) when the same could be achieved on the PC.

This isn't a hard question to answer....

The reason they are treating it differently, and as something new, is b/c it is a paid service and they plan to milk the hell out of it w/ micro-transactions.

When you get right down to it, XBOX-live and "Games For Windows Live" ( :rolleyes: ) are nothing more then the same exact features and systems that we PC-gamers have been enjoying, gratis, for years. The main difference though is that Microsoft saw the opportunity to implement a closed network for it's consoles, and to charge gamers for these things.

let's just hope that some of this revenue will be channelled into more patches for the PC version as well :)

let's just hope that some of this revenue will be channelled into more patches for the PC version as well :)

We can dream. But the fact is the console games are outselling the same PC title like 10 to 1 and there is no money in patches. I think Bhuric may end up being the patcher for Civ4 which isn't a bad thing.

We can dream. But the fact is the console games are outselling the same PC title like 10 to 1 and there is no money in patches. I think Bhuric may end up being the patcher for Civ4 which isn't a bad thing.

YA I agree hes a great modder but what your saying to me is that we need to rely on mods for better improvemnt. This makes sence. Civ2 modding was not much. With Civ3 vannila it started to get more active. PtW more an more become familiar with the term, then Conquests improved editer made mods a household name.

ON we go Bring it to civ4 by now civ3 has evolved beatifully, Not unnoticed by its creators, modding is advertised as a selling point for the first time.

Warlords arrives and moddin spikes up even more as Blakes AI mod and Dales Combat mod are started to be called 'patches'. BTS comes would later adds these mods to the main frame, thus further blurrin the line between pro patches and amatuer content. Today is been shown the mod you see pop up an the C+C today can be merged into the product by paid programmers tommorow, nice for this site by giving the impression store bought quality improvements can be had here free.

They are tryin to tell us that modabilty x this forum = all the the patch support we will ever need.. IT makes sence the ones who care enough, the biggest fans who come here get qualty improvements and stay happy. The ones who don't show up here can't be that loyal ones and like some say, are used to disposable gaming . They got their money from em and will get in again with a new ad campaign not patches

Who ever wants to pay for Xbox Live? Makes no sense.

Port this to PS3, and maybe we will play it.

Doing Civ4 as a multiplayer game is like a bunch of guys who bring their turtles to race against each other...A very slow game. The family MPs over the miles, and boy is it slow...even if you pop on a timer.

Oh, and will Civ4 still have Out of Sync issues on Xbox like it has on the PC? LOL

JohnYoga

Top Bottom