Sid's Memoir

rastak

Emperor
Not sure where to post this so a mod can move it. I'm in chapter 4 and I feel like I was transported back when I was in my 20's. F15, George of the Jungle and Railroad Tycoon. I played Railroad Tycoon for 19 straight hours after I installed it. I could not stop playing Civ 1 which seemed like the game Empire x1000. I played a few hundred hours of Pirates! on the C64 and Covert Action was fun too. Add in F117a and Gunship and the fun never stopped back then. Thank you SID!

Sid Meier's Memoir! was a great book. Highly recommend.

Sid occupied a lot of my time with his games. Loved them all, which makes it strange to me that I never bought or played Civ I. I jumped into the series with Civ II and have played the rest of the series. Looking forward to the Memoir.

Must. Read.

Finally got around to starting this. I bought it years ago but hadn't got to it yet as I don't read books as much as I used to. I'm a subscriber of Retro Gamer magazine and I always enjoy their interviews with 80s & 90s game dev legends where they talk about how they got started, creating a studio, the rise to fame, the studios end and what went wrong etc and Sid's book is already sounding like that. However the retro gamer articles are often about people and studios I only have a light interest in whereas the story of Sid and Microprose is of great interest to me, so I'm loving this so far!

I liked the book and his background. He goes into detail about his first company and his business partner the pilot. Discusses the huge rise of the gaming expo in Vegas which is interesting. His family background in Switzerland.

I forget if he goes into much detail about why he did not develop Civ 2 and up to present day. I would like to know what he thinks of Ed Beach and the current state of the game and how it has changed since the beginning. Also on a business side does he get royalties per unit since his name is on the game etc.

As a huge Civ fan the book does not just focus on the expected game but his overall life and his significant role in the pc gaming business.

Would be nice to see a book dedicated to Civ from the beginning to today with chapters from the developers and design teams that made it possible.

Brew God

Top Bottom