Simple way BNW can improves AI intelligence and War

Jman5

Warlord
One of the more annoying aspects of the AI when it comes to warfare is how it handles defensive civs. If they attack a well entrenched player and lose spectacularly, they will often continue the war until the player gets sick of it and goes on the offensive.

Basically, the AI has trouble recognizing when a war of aggression is a lost cause. They will continue sacrificing units against the walls of a player's city until the player builds up a bigger army and attacks. In theory this might make sense, but in practice it's too late. A half decent player will build up his army, wait for the suicidal wave to attack his city and then counter attack the now defenseless civ. When the AI finally sues for peace at this point, it's laughable because he's screwed.

My suggestion for the upcoming expansion is to give the AI the ability to keep track of his losses versus the enemy losses. When they reach a certain threshold he sues for peace. And I'm not talking about the "give me 4 of your cities and all your gold" peace.

Hmmm. . . in most my games once the AI realizes they've just turned a bunch of men into hamburger with no gain they wait 10 turns or so then sue for peace with a little tribute.

What the AI really needs to learn better is concentration of force... While waging a war of attrition, they will send their troops in small bunches rather than in massive waves

This. Plus defending their ranged units (i.e. staying in formation) and that dancing your units around for no reason whatsoever (instead of fortifying) gets them killed.

Top Bottom