[Vanilla] Single-City Game (Extreme Settler Prerequisite)

Das Capitolin

Warlord
I have played vanilla Civilization VI for 1000+ hours, and continue to look for new ways to play challenging games (beyond the dozens of mods currently installed). It occurred to me that if I played an extremely large map with 40+ leaders and very few City-States in a game that limited everyone to settling only a single city, it could be very interesting... and a bit more balanced with AI on an extremely high difficulty.

Open the Units.xml file found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\, and search for the line with UnitType="UNIT_SETTLER". I began by editing the value in PrereqPopulation from 2 to 50.

This forces a city to grow to a population of 50 before being able to build a settler unit. If you create the game with a hot temperature and arid rainfall, it will make this a nearly impossible challenge. Alternatively, you can always conquer other civilizations and take their city... which is exactly what the AI will be doing.

I started a trial game five days ago with the single-city start, and so far I've found it quite rewarding. There are a few interesting side-effects, however. First, barbarians are rampant, likely the result of single large cities and plenty of space in-between for camps. Next, you'll find that some AI has focused more on hardening their city and conquering others... especially yours! Overall I've had a lot more fun with this twist, and recommend it to others.

My next task is to find and modify the setting to improve (increase) City-State strength, so they aren't so easily captured by over-powered AI at extremely high difficulty.

Top Bottom