Single Player - How is the AI affected by Online Speed?

Bliss

Warlord
Since I don't like warring too much in CIV (because games get too long) I intend to only play with Online Speed from now on, but I'm afraid that the AI may not respond well to such speed. I readed somewhere in this board that "AI doesn't value things right at online speed" and it ocurred to me that I might be playing games exploiting stuff/bugs that I don't even know that are wrong due to AI limitations.

Are there some well known deficiencies that people have found when playing against AI using online speed? If so, I'm wondering if I should move to quick speed.

By the way, I like playing with Standard map size (and Am very aware of the implications that quicker speeds have against conquest in general, but it's a price I'm willing to pay).

Concerning warfare the online speed favors the defender because you can chunk units faster so if you play almost always defensively it can be a good thing for a human. Larger maps than standard don't fit well with online speed. Movement points are the same for all speeds. So it clearly unfavor faster speeds.

It's mostly a matter of taste. In multiplayer games it's 99% online speed because most games are played in 1 session.

Concerning warfare the online speed favors the defender because you can chunk units faster so if you play almost always defensively it can be a good thing for a human. Larger maps than standard don't fit well with online speed. Movement points are the same for all speeds. So it clearly unfavor faster speeds.

It's mostly a matter of taste. In multiplayer games it's 99% online speed because most games are played in 1 session.

Do you think domination on a Huge Map (12 civs) is doable? Using battleships, nukes and paratroopers?

Only trade bugs.

if you don't trade anything with them they actually play pretty well, better than on standard speed.

Yeah, they do pretty well, I'd agree with Lily_Lancer. Only serious issue is map-size, since, as Tarbanak remarked, movement-speed stays the same.
My regular mp-crowd has changed to standard-speed, since we like large maps, but it was a real bummer in online speed, to move troops from the end of your realm to the border of the target, because it happened more than once, that moving those troops alone sufficed to give the opponent enough time to research better troops and upgrade his accordingly. Units are just outdated super-fast and war - at least on long distances - is seldom feasible.

What exactly is wrong with trading?

One thing I noticed is that the AI tend to value cash 2 times as effective as in standard speed, and you can exchange cash for GPT at a decent rate such as 12~15 gold for 1 GPT. (however the GPT is still 30 turns)

There exist other trade bugs but I don't exactly know why they happen. Such as diplomacy favor values too highly or some other bugs like joint war or alliance.

After all, If you ban trade like I do, there won't be such bugs.

Top Bottom