Slapping together a new high end machine

vitalix

Chieftain
Hey all,

I am building a new rig to play a variety of high end games. Here's what me and a friend have come up with. Any suggestions about quality, compatibility, better stuff for the price or anything else like that would be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance.

Vitalix

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives) Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SH-S162L - OEM
Model #: SH-S162L
** This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same make/model within 30 days only.
Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $31.99 $31.99
Intel-compatible Motherboards Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP
** This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same make/model within 30 days only.
Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $249.99 $249.99
Internal Hard Drives Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3250620AS

Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $79.99 $159.98
Memory - System Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
Model #: TWIN2X2048-6400

$40.00 Mail-in Rebate
Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $218.00 $218.00
Power Supplies Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update KINGWIN ABT-520MA1 ATX/BTX 520W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ABT-520MA1

Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $109.99 $109.99
Processors Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6400
** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $259.99 $259.99
Video Cards Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update eVGA 512-P2-N568-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 512-P2-N568-AR

Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List $299.99 $299.99

That's a very capable graphics card for today's games but might not cut it 6 months down the road. You might want to consider getting a mobo with 2 Pci-e 16x slots so you can have te option of running two GC's later in SLI mode. I am very jealous of that processor BTW I just bought an AMD X2 4200 before the price cut. Had I waited three weeks I could have saved over $200 or preordered a Conroe. That is going to be a FAST! machine regardless and should blow through any current game on Hi graphics w/o slowup.

Thanks for your comments! Any others most appreciated.

As for the proper thread, my apologies. Should I continue the thread here, post again in computer talk, or wait for the moderators to move the thread?

Thanks,

Vitalix

Get a better video card. If you can afford this system, might as well get a better video card. And make sure the mobo has SLi. Thats a given for a high-end rig even if you're not gonna use Sli at first. It will come in handy when you think about upgrading. Everything else looks good to me. The processor should blaze through almost anything you throw at it and the 2 gigs of RAM also help. The power supply is also good for the single card but im not sure how well it will function if you put a second video card in.

In all, its a pretty decent system that has just enough upgradeability to last a while before becoming obsolete

get an Nvidia 7900 video card, and go get an Intel Core 2 Extreme...oh sorry I didn't ask...what is your budget

because if you want a system that is going to last you need to fork the extra cash...like right now I am running on a Celeron D and 512 megs of RAM with an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI Pro.....odd slap of pc equipment but I am very outdated in todays market...but then again I usually just use this PC to code and design web pages with.

stickciv said:
. Thats a given for a high-end rig even if you're not gonna use Sli at first. It will come in handy when you think about upgrading.

I would strongly advise against this way of thinking. Getting one card, and having a slot for another with the intention of adding another in 6 months really doesn't work. It sounds good in theory, but in practice it never works out well.

The problem is that graphics cards advance soooo fast, they rarely go down in price a huge amount. They get replaced by newer models, and then they stop producing the older ones. In 6 months time, the chances are your current card won't still be in production, and the ones you do find, won't be much cheaper than the price you paid for the first one.

Add to this the fact graphic cards performance levels are advancing so quickly, its probable that a single £300 card in 6 months time, will beat 2 £300 cards that are currently available, and have more features to boot.

Use my example, as I fell into this exact trap. About a year ago, I built my pc with a 7800gtx 256mb, and paid about £350 for the card. A year on... 7800gtx's are obsolete, and the few manufacturers still sell them, are doing them for the same £350 they originally were. A single 7900gtx 512mb costs the same amount, and will actually beat 2x7800gtx 256mb in most benchmarks, and has more features as well.

It seemed like an economical way of futureproofing my system, but it really isn't at all. SLi is only worth it if you're a crazy nut who has to have the fastest stuff, and you're going to put 2 cards in right away.

jimbob27 said:
I would strongly advise against this way of thinking. Getting one card, and having a slot for another with the intention of adding another in 6 months really doesn't work. It sounds good in theory, but in practice it never works out well.

The problem is that graphics cards advance soooo fast, they rarely go down in price a huge amount. They get replaced by newer models, and then they stop producing the older ones. In 6 months time, the chances are your current card won't still be in production, and the ones you do find, won't be much cheaper than the price you paid for the first one.

Add to this the fact graphic cards performance levels are advancing so quickly, its probable that a single £300 card in 6 months time, will beat 2 £300 cards that are currently available, and have more features to boot.

Use my example, as I fell into this exact trap. About a year ago, I built my pc with a 7800gtx 256mb, and paid about £350 for the card. A year on... 7800gtx's are obsolete, and the few manufacturers still sell them, are doing them for the same £350 they originally were. A single 7900gtx 512mb costs the same amount, and will actually beat 2x7800gtx 256mb in most benchmarks, and has more features as well.

It seemed like an economical way of futureproofing my system, but it really isn't at all. SLi is only worth it if you're a crazy nut who has to have the fastest stuff, and you're going to put 2 cards in right away.

this is why you dont wait 6 months. It just means that if your budget is low for now, wait a month or two and THEN get the second card. At that point it will still be a viable option. 6 months for us=decade for computers with the speed they progress..

Top Bottom