'sleep' mode error: Computer won't sleep like it used to :(

Daftpanzer

canonically ambiguous
So, like, I installed an old PCI dial-up modem in my PC (fairly new PC, running Vista), and now it won't 'sleep' like it used to. It gets so far, the screen goes black, but then stops - the power and fans stay on, and it doesn't respond to anything. The only way out is to cut the power (no reboot switch :) ).

Usually, it would have the appearance of being shut down completely (no fans/lights), while presumably just keeping power to RAM so it would spring back to life when you tapped a key / moved mouse etc. I really liked that! (no permanent internet for me, so PC can be idle a lot of the time)

Later, I found the power management options in BIOS and switched the 'hibernate mode' or something, and changed it from something-3 to something-1. Now, it will go to sleep and recover successfully, but the power lights and fans stay on, presumably that is the less efficient mode-1.

I can live with the problem if I have to, I just wondered if anyone else has had anything like this, and could shed some light on why this is happening? I'm curious as to whether its because of the specific PCI modem I put in, or if it would happen with any PCI card inserted (there was none before), or whether its because I've scratched something on the motherboard while I was fiddling about :cry:

Thanks for any advice :)

Most likely bet is that the driver for the modem isn't fully compatible with vista. To check, remove the modem and the diver and see if it goes back to normal.

Beyond that, it's a version of windows, so you really ought to shutdown and do a full reboot. Not only will that save more electricity, but windows when not rebooted commonly gets funky.

You can search online for a newer driver that might solve the problem.

@Cutlass, thanks!

I do switch of my PC at night, though I like to put it in low power mode if I'm watching TV or something. The driver being used for the modem looks like a default windows one (attributed to microsoft), I did try installing the original drivers which came with the modem, but Vista says they are out of date or something :dunno: The modem itself seems to work fine though. I'll have a look at finding some drivers for it online.

Top Bottom