SMAC 2, what are the odds?

Yes, 3D graphics, at least as good as CivRev, but less cartoonish and more photo-realistic style. Just look at any decent 3D shooting game, that's the kind of graphics I'd like to see. The map should look like Google-earth satelite+map rendering.

BTW: why did you guys abandon WPC ? It is very empty and sad... First 'poly, than WPC, I do not like to see the community falling apart..., sorry of the OT

Yes, 3D graphics, at least as good as CivRev, but less cartoonish and more photo-realistic style. Just look at any decent 3D shooting game, that's the kind of graphics I'd like to see. The map should look like Google-earth satelite+map rendering.

BTW: why did you guys abandon WPC ? It is very empty and sad... First 'poly, than WPC, I do not like to see the community falling apart..., sorry of the OT
I would hope that any graphic bells and whistles in a hypothetical sequel didn't get in the way of what's important, though. SMAC was always about good game play, design and storytelling- and those things can get lost pretty easily when focus shifts to the gee-whiz stuff. SMAC was made deliberately, I think, with less-than-top visuals. That's not what the game was about. It's not a shooter.

As for your question, it is my strong wish to work together with those guys in an atmosphere of mutual respect and courtesy to make the site great. Barring that, I can do my art anywhere I am at least left in peace. It bothers me to see how dull things have gotten, but taking care of Uncle is job one. It has to be.

How's the Middle Earth scenario coming? Start a thread so I can comment, willya?

I would hope that any graphic bells and whistles in a hypothetical sequel didn't get in the way of what's important, though. SMAC was always about good game play, design and storytelling- and those things can get lost pretty easily when focus shifts to the gee-whiz stuff. SMAC was made deliberately, I think, with less-than-top visuals. That's not what the game was about. It's not a shooter.
You are right, game play is #1 priority. I wouldn't put graphics above that, but the 11 years has seen lots of advancement so even without focus, the graphics ought to be much better.

As for your question, it is my strong wish to work together with those guys in an atmosphere of mutual respect and courtesy to make the site great. Barring that, I can do my art anywhere I am at least left in peace. It bothers me to see how dull things have gotten, but taking care of Uncle is job one. It has to be.
I do not know what happened and if it is personal, then it is none of my business. All I wish for is a good community in a forum with sufficient SMAC support. You and vyeh were instrumental to achieve that, so whoever made you leave had made a huge mistake... :(

How's the Middle Earth scenario coming? Start a thread so I can comment, willya?

Currently, it is on the back-burner, but not forgotten. I have been "busy" with the GOTM, just transcended today (in 2211, not bad for Drones eh?) and now I will be busy with the Ultimate Alien Crossfire. Once that's done, then comes Middle Earth. I will keep you posted and count on graphics support from you ;)

You have my graphic support, of course. I'm one faction apiece from wrapping up two major projects- alternate official factions and SMAniaC- so don't take to long to bring me work. My sister's going to start teaching me how to use Poser next week- I can get paid a little for building poser models and posting them for download...

...I'm not sure even SMAC2 would appeal to me more than a little money...

Back to SMAC 2, I understand the pessimism that many sequels are disappointments. It is my hope that whoever works on SMAC 2 will take advantage of the SMAC community in developing SMAC 2.

The SMAC community is fortunate to have many sites filled with content. Besides 'poly, there is CGN and this forum. The SMAC community extends across sites.

Maybe some day a company with rights to the Alpha Centauri name will decide that they can make a sequel that will be profitable (after ten years, there is a whole new generation of gamers) and will make SMAC 2. (We can always pray Firaxis hires scient.)

Top Bottom