1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SMAC 2, what are the odds?

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Elsewhere Adv, May 31, 2009.

1. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

No way a science fiction game could use Civ. Civ has to start in 4000 BC and end in 2000 AD. Alpha Centauri starts in 2100 AD.

2. Darsnan

Darsnan King

I'll disagree with this statement: look at Foundation and that whole series. The Galactic Civilization falls, and some solar systems fall into complete barbarism. The sci-fi authour Pournelle also had a series of books about a Co-Dominium which ultimately failed, and many solar systems fell into barabarism before a new power arose to unite Humanity once again. Both of these are fertile ground for a mod IMO, as you can mix and match different things from the past, present, and future in creating new worlds for adventure.

D

3. Russia4Life

Russia4Life Chieftain

Civ 2 Test Of Time had a sci fi version of civ....

4. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

...and Alpha Centauri is a straight continuation of the Civ storyline. It is the expedition you launched in CivII...

Sid Meier's Civilisation: Alpha Centauri 2 :nod:

5. Elsewhere Adv

Elsewhere Adv Chieftain

Quick question, are the rights to SMAC 2 divided up between 3 companies? Since Brian is working for a different company as Sid, and I think EA still holds the rights to the name?

6. Russia4Life

Russia4Life Chieftain

I think EA has all the rights to the game. I doubt sid or brian have any say in the matter.

7. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

I think Firaxis also has some rights to the name Alpha Centauri since they developed it. So the rights are split between Firaxis and EA. I did a quick search on 'poly and saw somewhere (I can't find it now) where Brian Reynolds said BHG had no rights to SMAC.

8. Elsewhere Adv

Elsewhere Adv Chieftain

So it's basically just EA and Firaxis that hold the rights to a SMAC 2? Awesome, thanks for the info.

9. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

That has always been my understanding. Firaxis developed the game so they own the rights. When EA distributed SMAC, it got a license that included rights to the name.

I think it must be fairly standard for developers/distributors to hold joint rights in a title.

What I think must complicate the issue is that Brian Reynolds, who designed SMAC, is no longer at Firaxis. So it would be hard to include him and I think there is a recognition that a sequel wouldn't work without his vision.

10. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

The odds are probably greatest if a fan mods it. :)

11. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

Well there is the Planetfall mod of Civ IV:BtS.

12. Dasphios

Dasphios Chieftain

Well... Granted that it's likely still a few years in coming, but with EA in the process of gaining control of Take Two (which owns 2K, which owns Firaxis), we might see two of those three elements brought back together. Just something to consider.

13. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

I don't think the issue is the division of rights betweeen EA and Firaxis, which must occur anytime a developer uses a distributor.

I think the real issue is that SMAC was much more a Brian Reynolds game than a Sid Meier's game. And Brian Reynolds is at Big Huge Games, which has no rights to the Alpha Centauri name.

14. Buster's Uncle

Well, ultimately, I'm pretty happy with the game the way it is. We have scient and his scient-ificPatch in the works, and we have modding to keep it fresh. I don't need no steenking AC2.

15. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

I kind of liked the unit promotion system in Civ IV. I like those workshops that become factories. There were some things that weren't developed in SMAC that you can see traces in alphax.txt: energy/projectile weapon/armor distinction; psi resources from map squares and there have been calls to have more than 7 factions.

16. Buster's Uncle

Sure; there's a lot of room for improvement, but I dare not hope that a SMAC2 wouldn't be a step down in overall excellence of design.

Sequels to anything are rarely as good as the original....

17. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

Civ II was better than Civ. SMAC was better than Civ II.

18. Buster's Uncle

Sure. I've played all three and you're right. I'm just being cautious. The point about sequels stands, notwithstanding the exceptions.

...More factions at once on large maps would be really wonderful, but then scient has expressed interest in looking at that eventually...

19. zsozso

zsozso Chieftain

A lot depends on how the sequel is done. It is clear, that AC could benefit a lot form the 10+ year advancements in graphics and CPU power not to mention AI development. It should be possible to write an AC-playing AI that actually plays well with good strategy. I'd love to be involved in the development of that part :)

20. Buster's Uncle

They'd need better graphics, too...

But seriously, I'd say that the way to aim is "the same, only bigger and better." The structure, storytelling and gameplay is faultless in my book. If they can keep everything that works, I'm all about SMAC2.