[small feature] Should founding fathers we rejected once be available again when the player who took them has died? [IMPLEMENTED]

Should founding fathers we rejected once be available again when the player who took them has died?

• yes

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • other suggestion (see comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jooe

Warlord
With the "new founding father system" FFs can be selected again when the player who took them first has been eliminated from the game.
The current mechanic disallows this though if you have once rejected that founding father (eg. in early game when you were prioritising another one).

I would like to change this mechanic in the following way:
* A FF has been offered to the (human) player and rejected
* An AI player has instead chosen to recruit the FF
* The AI player has later been defeated
* The (human) player is offered to recruit the founding father again. (currently, this is not possible)

I am not sure the functionality I suggest was designed as such on purpose or just because it would have caused additional effort to implement. Before I start trying to change that mechanic, I'd like to know if there are any vetoes against that change.
Note that if you play with "old founding father system", nothing will change at all.

On a first glance, this seems a simple programming task, so I am quite sure to be able to do it within a few hours. As it is quite a small change, I'd like to implement it before beta release. Therefore please object quickly, otherwise I'd start working on it soon-ish.

I don't mind this feature and will support the adoption of this change. however, it would be worth creating a poll. at least it's more informative than the posts in the thread)

I think it would be good to enable recruiting previously rejected FF's after the other civ retreated from the new world. After all, for a player it could made sense to reject a FF early on with other priorities, but would find it favourable to recruit them with a second chance in a later stage.

In general I do not see any issue recruiting rejected FFs in general as long as they are available. It doesn't matter if they have never been taken or have been released due to player (team) death.

A little side note, which may be important. FFs are recruited by teams, not players. Usually there is one player in each team, but the code does actually support multiple players on a single team. In other words releasing FFs should be done on team death, not player death and in rare cases that's not the same. People tend to forget or never having discovered the difference between players and teams because it's such an underused feature, which can only come from custom setups in custom games.

A little side note, which may be important. FFs are recruited by teams, not players. Usually there is one player in each team, but the code does actually support multiple players on a single team. In other words releasing FFs should be done on team death, not player death and in rare cases that's not the same. People tend to forget or never having discovered the difference between players and teams because it's such an underused feature, which can only come from custom setups in custom games.
Actually I was planning to revise (again ...) the code for player death/team death as part of this change.
Something like CvPlayer::kill() called if verifyAlive() is false, CvTeam::kill() called if CvTeam::isAlive() goes false - and those function then doing all the cleanup necessary (which is now in verifyAlive() IIRC.
The cleanup for CvTeam would then unassign all FFs and notify all the other teams about those FF being recruitable again so they reset their "ignore" status.

After committing this to the main branch, I now see one new negative vote. Please voice your objections here - is this a veto from someone inside the WTP team? We then might have to consider reverting this change ...

There is something wrong with the Founding Fathers. Sporadic ones are left out ...

Bug_FF.png

Attachments

• Bug_FF.png
    Bug_FF.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Update:
I played on and took the next founding father (James Cook - Exploration).
Then when I reached the prerequisite for the skipped founding father (Eusebius Franz Kühn - Religion) again, I could select him ... very strange ...

Did this happen when you earned the necessary FF points in a short time?
Because one of the changes means that you will only be offered one FF per turn, not necessarily the cheapest one (The order is probably determined from loading the XML). If you have been offered one FF and took it, then even if you have enough FF points, you will only get the next offer on the next turn.
This is to avoid an unfair advantage caused by the order of players during a turn.

But there might also be other bugs introduced, one never knows ... If you have your savegame from before this happening, you might want to upload it so I can have a look at it.

Just chiming in to say that this is an interesting feature. Surely it will incentivize the conquest of the player that happened to grab a desirable FF. Perhaps a slight tweak could be considered: release some or all FFs in case the capital is captured! :crazyeye:

Top Bottom