Not necessarily WTP related stuff [SMALLTALK]

@MightyToad

Civ4Col seems to be on sale (66% reduced) again on Instant Gaming and other sites (for around 7 Euro, which is probably 9$).
It is usually sold as Steam Download.

I can not guarantee you like it, but for many - including myself - it is by far the best game of the Civ series if modded.
Trust me, you really want to play it with a mod: either TAC (improving base game) or WTP (massive overhaul with new content)

Give it a try and see what you have missed all these years. It is the only game I keep returning to since 13 years.
And since it is built on top of an advanced Civ4BTS engine, you can still mod it as well with Civ4BTS modding knowledge.

Attachments

• Col_Steam.JPG
    Col_Steam.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
I do modding a different game, and certain files acessed by ms excel.
Well the files themselves are in a archive, so no chance the game acess the uncopressed files in a very different directory, so the excel fails.
In certain tabs automatically makes second characters from upper case into lower case - randomly! - when anything modified in that row.

Right now after all modification I do manually check and correct.
But is there any way to prevent it to occur?

Hi guys,

I thought I might share a few tracks of my current "modding music" with you guys.
(I like to hear music while modding. Usually an endlessloop of 5 to 10 songs that I change every week.)

Hi guys,

maybe some of you have been wondering why I have been a bit quiet considering modding activities recently.
To sum it up it is related to my real life. I am currently on a journey to find real passion again in my career - something I had lost.

I had realized that I was not feeling passionate anymore about my work but stressed even though I was considered "successful".
I had realized that I had build my entire life around finding self appreciation by being "rich", "important" and "respected".

So I got lots of extrinsic motivation (money, success, respect of others) but my intrinsic motivation (fun, joy, creativity) did not exist anymore.
So I woke up about a month ago, realized that I felt burned out and tired and that I had to make a decision: quit my job and search for passion again.

I am not really sure how to describe it to somebody who has not experienced it yet but it was probably one of the best decisions I ever made.
The term "mid-life crisis" sounds way too negative for it. Because infact it has been a really relieving and positive experience so far.

In fact I have even gotten offers for new jobs much more interesting and also better paid than the one I had before.
Also I am still considering to become / stay independent, maybe even starting a business of my own.

But as I said, I am still on that journey ... and it is currently my main focus that binds my attention and motivation.
I am thus also not sure I will continue modding again. (I will not be participating in any new releases of WTP in the near future.)

My message to others - and I had to learn it myself first at the age of 42:
If your gut tells you you are not happy then change it. Take a risk because real passion is worth it.
Life is simply way too short to be just "content". Money is worth really nothing if it comes at the price of your soul.
Thus never stop dreaming. Keep looking for a purpose in your life ... something where you find passion and fulfillment.

Best regards
ray

P.S.:
I am not saying I have completely stopped modding. I have not.
In fact I will most likely keep modding a bit privately for fun here and there.
Also I will keep sharing some of my work with the WTP team if it wants to have it.
I will simply not participate in any releases, since I lack the attention and motivation for that.

Maybe this here may help you a bit to understand what I am talking about:

Last edited:
Best of luck to you @raystuttgart :hatsoff:

I suppose I beg to differ since I don't see the point in looking for fulfillment from a job since it's only purpose should be to make you money - never mix business and pleasure! But then again, I am just a filthy money-grubbing contractor :lol:

I don't see the point in looking for fulfillment from a job ...
You don't have to.

---

There is a simple truth I noticed recently again though:
Being passionate is no obstacle to making money or being successful at all. Quite the contrary.
When you are passionate you might make even more money and be more successful.

Because people notice. And when they see you are really passionate they may want to work with you.
And vice versa they notice as well. I personally always hated to work with unpassionate people.

So why not simply aim for both?
Passion (intrinsic motivation) and money (extrinsic motivation) = double motivation.
Motivation is the key to success in my experience and you can never have too much of it.

In which order you prioritize is up to you.
How much you prioritize each is also up to you.

By the way, it is also up to you how you measure success.
You may also measure it in money or in fun. Both is important I would say.

I am not saying: Do not make money.
I am saying: Be passionate about what you do.

But then again, I am just a filthy money-grubbing contractor
I doubt that this is all you are. Otherwise you would not be modding.
So I am very sure there is a part of you that thinks that passion is a good thing.
Where you search for it and where you find it is up to you.

Last edited:
Just a short comment on why I liked what you wrote:
I think I understand very well what you wrote about passion. And that it is so much more important than "extrinsic motivation". I wish you all the best on that journey of yours :)

I was heavily struck by some kind of infection during easter holidays.
Seems like I caught it from my parents who were sick first and still are.

Sneezing nose, light to medium fever, caughing, sore throat, complete energy drain ...
All typical symptoms of a normal cold though, so nothing really dramatic.

Still I spent most of last week lying in bed sleeping or drinking tea and watching old tv series.
Slowly but surely I start feeling healthier again and also start feeling the energy to get active again.

So I am pretty sure that this weekend I will be modding a few hours again.
("Yields" is still lots of work ... and it won't get done by itself.)

This is my current "motivation music" that really helps me pump energy a bit once I feel drained.
(Music always helps me to find the right mindset and to energize doing sports or modding or grindy work or ...)

So in case one of you also needs a bit of energy, here you go.

Last edited:
Sneezing nose, light to medium fever, caughing, sore throat, complete energy drain ...
All typical symptoms of a normal cold though, so nothing really dramatic.

Every sign of a common cold or flu could as well be a sign of a weaker form of Corona, too.
You should at least get tested for Corona, just in case. :think:

Every sign of a common cold or flu could as well be a sign of a weaker form of Corona, too.
Possible of course, but what difference would it make to know which exact virus infection it really is? :dunno:
From my perspective "sick is sick" and knowing the exact virus does not let you feel any better or help you recover faster.

My family has been fully vaccinated including booster shot and we were trying to socially distance as well.
Otherwise all we could do was what you normally do with a virus infection (sleeping, sirup, warm tea, chicken soup, ...)

I remember at least 4 times being sick with mild to normal virus infection symptoms in the last 2 years.
(Thus potentially I have even already had Covid 19 in some variant without even knowing it.)

Additionally if my government or my doctor tells me that I should take a "booster shot" each 6 months I most likely will.
I will try to prevent being caught on the false foot when then next wave is coming. I'd rather have my body a bit prepared then.

Summary:
Basically I have come to the point where I think we need to accept that Covid 19 will not go away and start to handle it like we handle e.g. the flu as well.
As long as we react reasonable to it and slowly but surely recover again, there is no point in panicing. (But yeah, I will get myself a "booster shot" each season.)

Last edited:
Possible of course, but what difference would it make to know which exact virus infection it really is? :dunno:
From my perspective "sick is sick" and knowing the exact virus does not let you feel any better or help you recover faster.

I see two reasons.
1) Knowing if you have a common cold - or perhaps a weak form of Corona with similar symptoms - means to know how dangerous an infection would be if you get into contact with someone. While vaccination and booster shot give *some* immunisation, they are not the almost 100% foolproof thing as the childparalysis or other vaccinations have been. You just have better chances to not catch, and if you catch it regardless, for a milder variant of Corona.
2) Knowing that it is Corona could mean a different treatment from a doctor, in the light that an untreated (or treated only with Grandma´s chicken soup or other traditional cures) Corona Infection can lead to "Long Covid" with longterm symptoms which is unlike anything a cold or flu could do.

(Thus potentially I have even already had Covid 19 in some variant without even knowing it.)

There are not only tests to check if you are infected but also tests to check if you had been infected by Corona.

This is the music I currently (right now) hear while modding. :)
It is an old song, but I still like it. It has some strange energy to it.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am going to start a new job next month (in 7 days actually). :)
To do so, I will have to move to a new City (Landshut, 72k people).

Landshut is one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Germany, even Europe.
Especially when there are Christmas Markets, Carnival or Medieval festivals.

Actually I have already been living and working there for several years in the past.
I have been hired by one of my former customers as a manager now - so it is kind of "back to the roots".

Thus, I will be quite busy the next 2 weeks and will probably have to reduce my modding efforts.
But once I have finished my moving and settled in a bit again, I will pick up my activities.

A few Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Landshut_Isar.jpg
    Landshut_Isar.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 257
  • Landshut_Isar_2.jpg
    Landshut_Isar_2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Landshut_Isar_3.jpg
    Landshut_Isar_3.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Landshut_Stadtansicht_Isar_01.jpg
    Landshut_Stadtansicht_Isar_01.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
I am currently still busy settling in after having started a new job incl. having moved to a new city. (see above)
Also I have bought a new laptop and a new game (Wasteland 3) after not having played any pc game for about a year.

Thus I am currently taking a break from modding and focus again on real life and actually playing a computer game again.
Eventually though I will pick up my modding activities again - probably once I finished Wasteland 3.

By the way:
Today is the first day that I got internet in my new appartment.
(Which is the reason I did not post here in the forum the last weeks.)

Last edited:
I just recently noticed again that I am getting old ... :old:
Especially when trying to buy games I more and more realize that I do not like the same games anymore as I used to.

-------

e.g. These 2 categories I used to love but hardly buy anymore.

Role-Playing-Games taking 100+ hours
I used to love such stuff and could dig into such a game and finish it within about 2 months.
Now I realize after these 2 months that I hardly played 20 hours and total already start to forget parts of the story.
These games are simply not fun anymore when you do not find the time to play them regularly ...

Real-Time-Strategy requiring fast reactions
Really liked that genre as well, but when being tired from work the last thing I want is something fast and hectic.
I still sometims like to play stuff like that but once the missions get too confusing and difficult I usually abandon the game.
It is simply not fun to me having to react and click stressfully when I want to relax from a hard week.

-------

So the only thing that stays for me is stuff that allows me to play in a relax fashion.
So the only things I still like are games like e.g.

We the People Mod (allowing me to have long breaks without requring me to remember much from weeks ago)
Tactical Turn Based Games like e.g. "Banner Saga" (short, thus easy to finish in a few weeks) or "Battle Brothers" (longer but very little story to remember)
Rogue Lite Games like e.g. "Dungeon of the Endless", "FTL", "Slay the Spire", "Deep Sky Derelicts", "Darkest Dungeon", ... (where a mission or run does not take long)
PC Board Games like e.g. "Terraforming Mars" or "Lord of the Ring Adventure Card Game" (where a game session takes just one evening or afternoon in average)
Interactive Movies similar to "Telltale Games" (which are short and actually do not need too much interaction apart from a few decisons and clicks here and there)
Casual Games or even Idle Games like e.g. "Fallout Shelter", "Idle Champions" or "Gems of War" (which are so easy that even a 12 year old is able to play)
-------

So almost all games I play today are either "slow", "short" or "casual" - ideally turn based.
You will not find many "fast", "long" or "complex" action games in my list anymore.

I have however bought games RPG games like e.g. Pathfinder, Wasteland and really enjoyed the first hours.
But it takes me so many weeks to finish such games that at some point I even start feeling that it is a chore.

There are often games on sale where I think "Wow that games looks cool and I used to love such stuff in my 20s.".
But then I think too myself "When should I find the time to actually play and finish this?" and don't buy it.

---------

e.g. Baldur's Gate 3: I feel so tempted to buy it but I don't because I would not have the time to really enjoy playing it.
(For those who do not know I used to assemble and adapt my private BG-Trilogy mod and am a huge fan of the series.)

It is kind of like buying a "Porsche" without having the time to drive it.
Then feeling frustrated when people tell you all the time how great that car is.

And also if I would ever touch that game I could only enjoy it if I also started to mod it.
(Similar to the time when I was modding on my private BG-Trilogy mod.)

---------

Summary:

It gets harder and harder to find games I really enjoy playing and also succeed to finish.
I have gotten old ... :hmm: ... :dunno: ... :) ...

Last edited:
Hi Ray, you are not alone. :undecide: I feel the same way.

I am a big fan of the Anno series. I bought Anno 1800 as soon as it came out, played it twice for a short time. But somehow I didn't have the time to delve deeper ...:sad:

Let's see how it goes with the new Master of Magic from Slitherine...

Top Bottom