1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SMAN's The World at War

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Scenarios' started by sman1975, Nov 12, 2018.

1. MariusMagnus

MariusMagnus Chieftain

I just caught this today. The Telegraph Office's 10% culture boost does not work because you attempted to implement it through the Building_YieldModifiers table, you have to use the CultureRateModifier attribute in the Buildings table for culture yields.

2. sman1975

sman1975 King

Thanks, @MariusMagnus - just double checked this to see it not working... :hammer2:

IIRC somewhere, the game engine doesn't use the Culture yield like it does all other yields in the game. It should. It just doesn't...

Looking over the mod, the Art Gallery will also fail using this approach. Will add this to my list of fixes for the next version.

Good catch! Thanks.

3. Party.Gif

Party.Gif Chieftain

Hi! It's me from steam's bugs thread!
    I still can't upload the log but I can provide a picture

Attached Files:

4. sman1975

sman1975 King

Well, there's nothing there, so it doesn't provide any information concerning the problem. If there's a fault in the way the new font is designed, I'd expect to see some kind of hint here. Makes me wonder if we don't have a good enough version of the log.

I probably should have provided better instructions in getting a good log. We need to look at a "clean" version of the log with all the mods in question (EUI + WAW) enabled. So, here is a list of steps to follow:

1. Exit Civ5
    2. Restart Civ5 (forces a new version of the logfiles to be generated, so we don't have too look at older data, which may be misleading)
    3. In the Mods area, enable both EUI and WAW mods
    4. Start a normal game
    5. Play 1 turn
    6. Exit the game
    7. Exit Civ5
    8. Go to the Logs folder, and get a copy of the 3 logs in question (Database.log, Lua.log, xml.log)
    9. Post the logs here

The website doesn't allow posting files with a .log extension, so all 3 files can be zipped together and posted, or you have to rename each file with a different extension the website will allow (such as .txt).

Hopefully, this will give us at least a little something to review.

Thanks

5. Party.Gif

Party.Gif Chieftain

Hello, thanks for replying and sorry for the late response!
    Here are the files in question.

Attached Files:

6. Klainkompf

Klainkompf Chieftain

7. sman1975

sman1975 King

Thanks for the suggestion, @Klainkompf - I do plan on incorporating the Renaissance Era mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544452801) into an upcoming version. I'm not 100% sure when, but it seems like adding a prehistory mod might be fairly straightforward to do at the same time. I was thinking about this mod, though:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187671255

It has 10 times the number of subscribers. Was wondering, why would the Dawn of Mankind mod be better? It makes lots of changes to the entire tech tree, as well as many other adjustments that conflict with WAW.

Additionally, I'm concerned by the number of techs already in the mod. Civ5 uses a very crappy formula to calculate tech costs, based on several game settings. The problem is, if there are too many techs, it becomes quite easy (almost impossible to miss, actually) a situation where the cost calculations get so high as to overflow the number internally to the computer, so the game will thing these expensive (late game) techs will only take 1 turn to research. Obviously, this is a bad thing, so...

I'm not opposed to adding a compatibility script for either prehistory mod, but I'm looking for a rationale that would point to one being better than the other?

Additionally, I'm not opposed to creating a new "hybrid" version of a prehistory add-on, one that I can control 100%, so as to make sure compatibility works better. I'm not opposed to collaborating with anyone, but in my experience doing this the passed few years tells me this is a dramatically time-consuming effort that usually craps out before any good results can be achieved.

What do you think?

8. sman1975

sman1975 King

Hello everyone! I've been vacationing from modding the passed few months, but am back to put a few fixes in several mods. Mostly ankle-biters, but if you have any suggestions about this mod, now is a good time to get those changes in. Thanks!

9. Klainkompf

Klainkompf Chieftain

Hello! Thanks @sman1975 for answer)
    I like the Dawn of Mankind because it not only adds new eras, but also introduces logic into the technological chain of Antiquity and the Middle Ages.
    But I understand the logic of the technical problems of the game, because for many years I’ve been trying to create the perfect modpack for playing with friends in the hot-seat mode and could not overcome the crash in the mid-game.

10. hambilus

hambilus Chieftain

I just discovered this as I've recently returned to Civ V largely due to wanting these larger total conversions and modmods. I loaded up all your modules with VP (this one, irregulars, unique units and after the revolution) and so far all is well. I really look forward to playing and providing further feedback, even if only in the form of "Wow that was great".

I'm running with a few extra mods let me know if they are known to cause issues so I don't waste your time.

Whoward's
    2 units per fort
    3 units per city
    Global - 5 city tiles

Wonder Race
    Terrain - poor tiles tweak
    Really Advanced Setup

Thanks again for the great work.

11. MariusMagnus

MariusMagnus Chieftain

I know some efforts had been made to make this compatible (but not balanced) with VP, but I never knew that it was integrated into the main mod. Must of missed / forgotten that, but good to know that it's there and still functional nevertheless.