So... Do you like poetry?

Kjotleik

Kjotleik
Hello Civ-fans!

I have recently made my own collection of poetry available for free at MediaFire. Here is the link:

The Electronic Chronological Bi-Linguistic Collection Of Poems By Kjotleik

Why do I make this thread?

One of my poems is actually inspired by Civilization IV (who could've guessed?). That is the poem called..."The poem." I have currently written seven (7) parts of this poem, all of which are included in the 169-poem long collection.

Why giving them away for free?

To be honest; I don't think any publisher would be interested. I have not (in my own view) been writing THAT good poetry. But I still would like people to read it (and hopefully like ONE, or perhaps a couple of the poems).

Also, I'm afraid any publisher would've "removed" troublesome poems before a possible publication. I have a tendency to write a lot about faith and religions: Being pro-faith but con-religion. Read it for yourselves before making up your minds...

Why are some poems in a strange unfamiliar language?

I have written in both English, and my native tongue (Norwegian) for as long as I can remember. It is my decision NOT to translate any of my poems. They would lose some of their inherent qualities if I did. But if you like, you could always let a friend of yours that knows Norwegian translate them for you.

Does the link to MediaFire above not work?

Please notify me.

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :D

Poetry... I don't really like it, aside from a few random poems or authors. I now write haiku though. :mischief:

I like writing dumb limericks and haiku's, but other than that, not all too much.

Basically the same thing as JoanK :lol:

Thank you for your comments about what you like to write. Just a little comment on the "dumbness" of Limericks and Haiku's:

Sometimes I find it is a struggle to make my poems short enough - and easy enough - to read. Some of the most amazing poems are short and straightforward written. A well written Limerick says something about the society in which we live - and thus, is not at all so "dumb" as it may seem at first. Childish, perhaps, but certainly not without value for adults that understands more than the surface of it.

Oh this is getting too long. Once again a thank you for sharing your writing-preferences with the world...

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :)

It has been many years since, and I have written a fair bit of poetry myself. 2013 is precisely the year I started, and never looked back.

Today I wrote one:

The White Hand

There is a hand up there
That seeks me
I can see its eyes glimmer across
Ten thousand stars.

It’s an ivory hand, it’s a touch
Of silk that pierces existence
From the end of the universe to me.
Sublime incommensurable fingertips

Where I see the last of me,
A mirror each in which I am
Crushed
Strangled
Smothered
Beaten
Touched to inexistence.

My hand spans infinities
From end to end, it
Stretches out cold and inert
Carrying a breath of death.

I like poetry as song lyrics...especially topical parodies...like when China banned images of Winnie the Pooh because President Xi thought the silly ol' bear looked like him.

Christopher Robin and I walked along
Under light from a bright Chinese moon
Looking for Pooh over hill, over dale.
Silly bear disappeared around noon.
His hunny pot’s gone. Could he be gone for good?
Or will he find his way back to the wood?

So help me if you can, I've got to find
Tigger and Eeyore and Piglet and Pooh
Christopher Robin, there’s so much they must do:
Chase all the dark clouds away,
Teach all the children to play
The glorious days of Christopher Robin and Pooh

President Xi is as mad as can be.
His resemblance to Pooh, all can see.
It’s a vision of warmth, love and good will to all,
It’s not what a tyrant should be.

So, off with Pooh’s head from all internet sites.
Paranoia again stomps on our childish delights.
So help Xi if you can, he’s got to get
Rid of all joy, jubilation, and fun.
You'd be surprised there's so much to be done:
Stamp out free speech and thought,
Jail those who cannot be bought,

Back to the days of the Red doctrinaire,
Back to the days of Tiananmen Square,
These are the day of Xi.
Oh no, oh me!
Xi, Xi, Xi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom