1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So does the multiplayer with AI finally work?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Senap, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Senap

Senap Chieftain

Hi,
    Playing Civ5 multiplayer with AI has been very underwhelming (even with G&K), they don't make contact and there are no leader animations. All of this is very disappointing when playing co-op games with family, so I wonder if these parts of multiplayer have been improved upon with BNW?

If not, I might as well spend my money on better co-op games.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sinon

Sinon Chieftain

Single player BNW is fun, but the Multiplayer aspect is still bad, if not worse. Trade system is completely useless in Multiplayer teams because your team members are considered the same as your own cities when it comes to trading (Cant trade gpt/research, only Food/Prod and only one way). Extremely disappointing. Also the lag is terrible. 50sec - 4 min between next turns after everyone ends their turn.

3. Senap

Senap Chieftain

That doesn't sound good at all. Thanks for your input :)

4. Dragonmaster83

Dragonmaster83 Chieftain

Well the no research trade is a bit is understandable for "team" games. Teams already share research and tech so trading research would effectively double dip since if for example you were trading 3 research a turn to your team member. That 3 research is still being applied to your own team's tech tree.

5. Sinon

Sinon Chieftain

Understandable, and something we thought would be overpowered, but the lack of a gold trade system with allies, and complete removal of all gold generating tiles (aside from improvements and lux/strat) is annoying, as it forces us to work with the enemy and give them research. We expected it to be like Age of Empires' market system, which we greatly looked forward to.

TLDR Remove research but allow gold trade routs with allies in Multiplayer.

6. Naizarak

Naizarak Chieftain

So all these years later and multiplayer still doesn't work? what a joke

7. Lord Byte

Lord Byte Chieftain

The biggest issue I had is that up to now (haven't played BNW yet) they just don't play very well, not even remotely as well as in single-player. Is that because the bonusses only get calculated for the lowest difficulty player, and the better player just gets a penalty? It just felt more fundamentally wrong as if it was so much more passive, and it also not ever offering or demanding anything really sucked.

I hope it's just a bit more active / aggressive now?

8. NecroAngel

NecroAngel Chieftain

Looks like the multiplayer STILL sucks. Unbelievable that the developers are so utterly incompetent that they can't sort it out after multiple expansions. How hard is it to make a functioning multiplayer with basic features such as AI THAT WORKS, AT ALL including animations etc? Ridiculous.

It should be exactly like single player with optional changes to accomodate for multiple players to speed things up etc. When I encounter AI civilizations, it should still show the leader greeting me etc.

9. OzoneGrif

OzoneGrif Chieftain

I just finished a multiplayer game, and it worked almost flawlessly.

They definately improved multiplayer with BNW.

10. NCommander

NCommander Chieftain

As a note, I play mostly hotseat, but the AI been better post BNW, with the players set to King.

11. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

The AI can still not contact you, and no Leader screens. So yes, still completely broken in that regard. I also play LAN with family and this was a major disappointment for the whole family. :(
    At least we can play custom maps now though, and single player is much much more fun.