So... how to get started?

I started basically the same as you. You'll want to check out the civ v modding guide here, and compare to the current civ mod you have to what it says in the guide. Its a bit unorthodox because theres little to no documentation, but its fairly easy to grasp the basics once you look at it this way.

Ok... I am on the first few steps of creating a Civ as outlined in that guide, I copy-pasted in the relevant text on page 30 to my Canada.xml file, and went along changing Celt to Canada, and Elizabeth to Hutama, but what about where it has English? Do i change that to Polystralia? and it says European near the art assets, what am I supposed to do there? Should I just skip those? or delete them? I'm already lost here.

I would recommend taking a look at an existing sponsor and then just replacing that sponsor with yours. For instance, if you took at look at my Holy See sponsor, you could just Search and Replace the tag POPE for CANADA, and then all you'd need to do is change the text in the GameText files and create a new trait. Trying to use the Civ V guide will be very confusing for newcomers - not only is that guide not for BE (so it misses a few fundamental steps, or suggests doing something that can't be done in BE), but it is also very outdated.

Take a look at the CIV:BE files. Just create a seperate folder in your ModBuddy project and put everything in there as reference files. Look up how the CIVs are designed in BE and replace the entries from the CIV5 mod guide with the stuff you see in the BE version.

something i struggle with is how to make a unit be build-able, i make a new entry that works but unless i make it unique for a civ it can't be built

something i struggle with is how to make a unit be build-able, i make a new entry that works but unless i make it unique for a civ it can't be built

If the UNITCLASS and UNIT are made properly and told to appear in the proper TECH. They should become available once the proper tech is researched. Your best bet is to take an existing UNITCLASS and UNIT file and simply alter them to suit your needs.

Spelling errors and pretty much anything can block you from seeing results so be careful.

Alright, anyone know how to install the GIMP 2 .dds plugin? I downloaded it for the Civilization Icon tutorial (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=463116) but there is no .exe file in it like the tutorial says, and moving the entire file to the plugins folder doesnt work.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

EDIT: I got it!

Top Bottom