So how would I set up my own forum?

Rodgers

Following YOUR child home
Is this difficult? Would I need to spend much time and money on it? Or could I just set it in motion and stand back? Would I need a really expensive computer?

If and when you do, you gotta tell me where it is.

There is so much I've been waiting to share... :beer:

PS- I would start my own, but I haven't got the computer space at the moment...

or does it not require computer space?

Well, that calls for some wampum - 'cause nothing's free.

Your thirst for power so acute, Rodgers? :lol: ;)

Everything is free in the world of open-source. Ezboard is for beggiers who dont know what they're doing. Requires no space but has ANNOYING popups. If you want a more powerful board you can try phpbb or ikonboard. Just find a webhost that supports php, mysql. If you can find a free one (Lycos works well enough) then your total cost will be $0.00.

@Spycatcher-

1) can you password protect the free sites...

2) can you curse up a blue storm and talk about womens privates on the free sites...

Two yeses will give you a passport to "Sultan Bhargash's Seraglio" coming soon to a forum near you...

1) Yeah depends on how you want to do it and what you want to protect. If the server is apache simple .htacsess will work wonders... You can always find java scripts and php security stuff
2) Umm depends on the host.. you would need an "adult content" clause in the contract.

If you have DSL/Cable/other, you can download the Apache Server (it's free - look on phpBB.com, there might be a link somewhere). BTW, phpBB is free too. There's also free DNS hosting (that is, have something like myboard.coolhosts.com - note, I made that one up).

It's a lot simpler than you think. :) Just be sure to have enough RAM (512megs to a gig minimum). I can successfully crash Apache on my computer (384megs RAM) if I run Civ3 2 or 3 times.

Top Bottom