1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So many races.... but where are the drow?

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by Neomega, May 21, 2010.

1. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

What would it take to make the Svalt "drow"? Maybe you could do a module.

2. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Yeah, but dark elves kick ass.

3. Widget

Widget Chieftain

I've no argument on the "dark-elves" front (sounds a lot like Svart to me aswell) but wasn't the OP about "Drow"?

The Svart really engage me as a version of the Dark-elf, but the Drow are a race I only know from (A)D&D. Don't get me wrong though, it still wouldn't work, IMO.

The key factor for D&D Drow is the subterranean-dependancy; without a "two-world" system (a la Myrror) I couldn't see them working.

4. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

I think the "once elves" tend to be the Drow version in this world, though it would take MC or Kael to be sure.

Here is all that is in the Bestiary of Erebus:

5. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

plus :
    Ljos are not "High elves" (they are more like feral elves of Warhammer)
    khazad are not "Dwarves"
    Luirchips are not "gnomes"
    the clans are not exactly "Orcs"
    svart are not exactly "Drows"

Conclusions : Erebus is not the forgotten realms.
    Of those, clan and svart are the ones that are very close to their Forgotten Realms counterparts.
    Clan is simple to show.
    svart : work high with illusions (ie : masterful summons in defense), work best in the night, focus on the recon line + with Esus (assassins, shadows....etc does ring a bell with the Drow) ; focus on Female units ... Where are the male svart ? well, at the same place as the male Drow : down of the brutish units.
    For me, the svart are really a very close analogy to the Drows, but adapted to the surface, and maybe liberated from the Spider Godess.

For me there are no need for Drows in Erebus :
    1) they can't even fit the lore
    2) in evilness they can never reach the sheaim ; as dark elves, they won't have anything more than the svart, and their spiderlove is already taken by the Archos. It would be svart on lizards + spiderkins + demonic summons, + no priests and only cult of Arachn.
    3) even if you make them, they are supposed to have difficulty to go on the surface in numbers : their are few entry points + all their magical abilities disappear when exposed to too long moon/sun radiance.
    good find here :D I didn't knew that.

6. Breez

Breez King

If you wanted to make a module to add Drow, I think I would start with the Archos and mod them instead of starting with the Svart

7. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Tolienesque cliches? Like evil orcs turned from humans a good race? Eh. Drow are not tolkienesque at all, did you mean something else?

P.S. And yeah, Archos are the most drow-like of the all races for me. I don't see Svarts as drows at all. They live in trees, they are very egoistic and they are evil. They are closer to Diskworld elves than Drow for me.