So this is my first Civ game...

Go to the Revolution Advisor screen (F3) and click on 'Start Revolution'.

However before you can do that your global rebel sentiment has to be 50% or more, it is also displayed on the Revolution Advisor screen. This global value bears no relationship to the individual colony rebel sentiment values and is based on your total population.

I have just about everything figured out it seems- but how do I get my global rebel sentiment up? I can never get it higher than like 25% and I don't know what to do different. thanks

Your global rebel sentiment is based on liberty bells per turn divided by your total population so you can increase it either by producing more bells or reducing your population. Assuming you don't want to kill off your valuable colonists, the answer is to employ more statesmen, especially elder statesmen, and build newspapers.

If you have a large population and few colonies you might not have space for any more statesmen. In this case build some small 'legislative' colonies with three statesmen in the town hall and a single farmer to feed them, and build a printing press there.

thats my problem, I have one colony with like 17 people and the other with 10 or 12, only 2 colonies. So I need to put people in the town hall place in the middle to produce liberty bells, preferably statesmen- got it!

You can actually do a calculation to see if you are producing enough bells. You calculate your maximum possible rebel sentiment as follows:

Rebel sentiment = bells per turn x 25 / total population.

Your overall rebel sentiment will trend towards this value over time. It won't happen straight away but you can see how close you are to reaching the 50% mark. You can add up your bells per turn from the Domestic Advisor, while your total population is 'All Units' minus 'No Profession' from your Military Advisor.

There is a downside to this of course - as your rebel sentiment increases the King gets worried and adds more units to the Royal Expeditionary Force. In the end it turns into a race between the two of you. You are trying to gather enough rebel sentiment to declare independence and the King is trying to produce enough military units to scare you off.

The English slaughtered me. Is there no way to get the Indians to help me fight them? I had defensive pacts with a couple of them, but they did nothing to help me lol

If you choose the 'Native Rights' freedom when you declare independence then Indian tribes that you have defensive pacts with will automatically declare war on the English. That said - they won't be much use unless you sold them plenty of guns before the war. Even then they only offer minimal help, you pretty much have to rely on your own military.

Still you will have learned a lot that you can put into practice for the next game.

another question haha- what does it actually do when pioneers build improvements to your settlement?

The Pioneer improves the land around your colony by building farms, mines etc. This adds to the productivity of the workers in your colony. A Farmer will get more food from a farm etc. The action icon for the Pioneer tells you just what gains can be made. For instance if the Pioneer is on a forest the 'build a farm' icon will indicate something like +3 food, +3 tobacco, -7 wood, -4 fur etc

So I need to buy a vet soldier, and have him do something in the colony- then also have a school to graduate people from?

and why the HECK is it that my guys have full health but as soon as I tell them to fire on an English soldier, their health drops to almost zero??

Just be thankful it doesn't drop below zero, in which case he'd be dead. Yes combat does result in injury and the soldier has to rest up a few turns to recover. This will be helped if he has a surgeon in attendence.

and why the HECK is it that my guys have full health but as soon as I tell them to fire on an English soldier, their health drops to almost zero??

Also please consider that there is no synchronization between the health bar update and the little combat animation (if you asked for the animation). :crazyeye:
The outcome of the combat and health bar update is immediately calculated whereas the animation of course takes a little time.
Probably a (minor) bug.

So I was totally kicking England's butt, they had stopped fighting and were just standing around, but I ran out of turns and LOST. I expected to win by surviving through to the end, so how DO you win?

You win by defeating the REF, if time runs out the King declares himself the winner :)

However the patch does help a lot - one of the changes is that when you declare independence the clock is reset and you are given 100 turns to win.

Top Bottom