1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

So what is the best UU in the game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lee Duane Fitzsimmons, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Chieftain

I think UU are one of the most interesting and fun parts of the game and pushes the player (in a friendly way) to play a little different with each civ.
    I think the top 3-5 UU have already been listed. A personal favorite is the Viking Longship, that enables early pillage raids before warmonger costs goes up and of course the ability to steal workers and pick up some extra goodie huts.

I also like Alexander's Hetarois. A couple of these, together with a Great General, can cause quite some damage .

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

While not the strongest, I think Immortals are top 5 material, especially now that they can take cities. They are enhanced very much by Cyrus ability and are weaker without that for sure. But since people are taking the Aztec ability into their argumentation why Eagle Warriors are so good, it should be done for other civs with strong UU/UA/LUA synergies as well. Besides Immortals, Varu + Chandragupta might be a contender for top 5 as well. And the Sumeria UA makes War Carts even stronger, too. Or Saka+ both Scythian abilities. Overall, I still think Eagle Warriors win. Mamluks can be almost unstoppable however.

Ondolindë likes this.
  3. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

As Chandragupta Maurya has been announced, I think Varus may turn into one of the best UUs when he declares war of territorial expansion. It has bigger strenght than horseman and it decreases enemy strenght. Add increased movement and strenght from Chandragupta's war of territorial expansion, and you(r enemies) have serious nightmare on the borders. The only problem with Varu is its production cost.

Since the Battleship is already among the best units in game, one that comes sooner, doesn't need special resousces and has +10 strenght compared to the Battleship is increddibly OP.

And there are of course several more, like Mamluks, War Carts or Eagle Warriors.

And P-51 Mustang is among the worst, even if nobody asked about that :p

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy "Save a horse..."

Nubia's Pítati Archer is the most overpowered unit in the game. Archers are already the most essential component of early warmongering - when the penalties for doing so are so low and the benefits are so high that you absolutely should be conquering neighbors through the classical era irrespective of what victory you're pursuing - and these are superior in virtually every way with no real drawbacks.

I've a personal fondness for the creative mechanics of the Conquistadors and Redcoats. More than any other unique, they change how I'm playing during the era in which they're available, with me saving faith to crusade as soon as my Conquistadors drop and colonizing other continents like crazy when Redcoats become available.

Hoplites synthesize well with Grogo; easy kills racks up culture which unlocks more civics which Sparta benefits from particularly due to its additional wildcard slot.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I hate fighting against these as my opponent. Which should be a consideration for best UU. In that how well the AI uses the UU matters.

Honestly I've never gotten much out of eagle warriors. I don't think I have ever gotten more than 1 worker all the times I've played Aztecs. Way too overrated in my opinion. And waging warfare that early isn't as useful as later on (when the AI has built districts).

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  6. Cyberian

Cyberian Chieftain

That Pitati Archer looks very strong especially the movement. Haven't played them yet as its DLC but I would probably rate them after Eagle Warriors and Warcarts as those can be built turn 1 (or are even already on the map).
    1 - Eagle Warrior
    2 - Warcart
    3 - Pita Archer
    4 - Saka Horse Archer
    5 - Legion

Later era units are nice but only the early units really matter imho.

7. Softly

Softly Chieftain

Alot of people saying Eagle Warrior here. While I agree they are very strong, they are also very very expensive (65 prod vrs 40 for a warrior). There is alot that needs to be build in the early game, and that extra cost really hurts. On standard speed deity, by the time you slot in the Agog card and build 3-4 of them the AI already has a horseman/swordsmen army. I would put them top 5 for sure but don't think they deserve the top spot. On slower game speeds they would be better.

People saying conquistador, redcoat or minas all make good points but none of that really matters in a game where the victor is always decided in the first 100 turns anyways. You could have an atomic era UU that gives +20 strength and it still wouldn't be as helpful as legions. Can't imagine I would put anything other than ancient/classical era units in the top 5.

I would have to give the crown to the Pitai Archer. It is a stronger and faster improvement for the most important unit of the game that you were going to build alot of anyways. Add the +50% production speed (plus another 50% from Agog) and the +50% experience (range unit promotion tree is the best) from the Nubian civ ability and IMO they get the #1 spot.

Phoenix1595 and Japper007 like this.
  8. Cyberian

Cyberian Chieftain

The Eagle warrior enables a completely accelerated early game in all areas due to the free workers. More expansion, more production, more research, more everything. Also its considerable strength increase makes him much more survivable against other units and city fire and get XP quicker less time to heal and so on. Yes the production increase is substantial but its still OP af. Won my first deity game on release with that and it was insane how easy it was compared to other Civs its just totally broken.
    The production increase also is not that substantial when you already get one eagle warrior for free and you don't need to build builders.

I agree the Pita archer is nice but if you use it in classic archer role inside the city or on a hill overlooking forest or shielded by warrior its a considerable increase over the archer but not a total revolution like the eagle warrior.

9. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Nubian archer. Carts maybe a somewhat close second. But nub archer is just a better version of the best unit in the game already.

10. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Sacrilege! :eek::D Give it another try. They are amazing, but you have to go and find yourself some early trouble (not characteristically of me, but I make an exception when playing the Aztecs). Plus, you don't need to necessarily wage an all in war right away with loads of adversaries. Just enough to get some builders, build your city and, of course, your districts. Unlike you, I get loads of builders. Sometimes, wondering if something was up.

So, happy enslaving builders!

They are awesome. One of the things why I enjoy Nubia a lot. However, although cheap, they don't have other advantages as the Eagle Warriors, but they are so good, yes.

11. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

I agree it is probably the Eagle Warrior, the other contenders are the Pitati Archer and War Cart. Being available early is a major factor for a UU. The earlier you get an advantage, the bigger it is. Also, the early unit types are not going to face as varied opposition, and they are always relevant at some point. I am not always going to have much use for a bomber, but warriors and archers play a part in every game.

I am curious if we will get a unique slinger or scout replacement at some point.

EDIT: I didn't have to wait long. Hello unique Cree scout.

12. Softly

Softly Chieftain

Honestly we would need to define "best UU". Are we comparing the units in a vacuum or taking into consideration the synergy with the Civ/Leader. Sakka Horse archers really only reach their full potential in the hands of Scythia (many examples Redcoats, Pitai Archers, Long-ships). Compare this to Legions or Varru which would be amazing unique units in anybody's hands.

13. drubell

drubell Chieftain

The thing that prevents the Eagle Warrior from ever being #1 on my list would be because they can't be boosted by Great Generals (at least, not without upgrading to swordsmen of course)

I'm surprised there's not more love for the Varu. The Varu is an absolutely devastating unit.

Any unique swordsman (Kongo, Macedon, Rome, was there more?) is top-tier straight off the bat. With a Classical Great General and no need to worry about iron, 4-5 unique swordsmen and a battering ram will easily take over the world on most maps.

In R&F, the Netherlands frigate will definitely be on a top-tier list as well. It's a frigate that hits cities with the strength of a damn battleship.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  14. liv

liv Warlord

The Varu cannot be upgraded to knight which takes away fro it.

How top is your top tier? If even the Kongo one fits on it, I mean

15. drubell

drubell Chieftain

The Varu doesn't upgrade to Knight because it's a light cavalry unit, not heavy. That's not unique to the cavalry lines overall. Though, it does help make a great unit in lieu of Civ 6 only having 3 light cavalry units which I've written on this forum many times is atrocious; it makes the Varu competitive in the Medieval and Renaissance where normal Horsemen are garbage by the time Knights show up on the map.

The Kongo sword is as high on my list as any unique swordsman. I don't know what to make of your insinuation that the Kongo's swordsman shouldn't be considered top-tier. In my view (and experience), any unique swordsman that improves base combat strength and doesn't require Iron is going to roll over the map with little to stop them, especially with early Great Generals.

16. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Eagle Warriors and War Carts are the obvious ones, not much to say there

I also really like Hetairoi personally, you can really stack up the combat bonuses hard once you get your first great general with the double effect from that on top of the instant free promotion

17. liv

liv Warlord

So what are tanks. The Varu upgrade to tanks. Same as knights
    The Ngao Mbeba is weaker than the swordmen on attack. It is good that it does not require iron but its weakness does not make up for it when it comes to "top tier"

18. drubell

drubell Chieftain

Not sure what it is with your specific criticism on my answers, but if that's what you want to do, I'll counter with the question of how you're going to win against a competitive AI or player with just war-carts, as per your answer. No GG boosting and doesn't upgrade until Knights, which you'll need Iron for. And battering rams are slower to move than war-carts.

19. liv

liv Warlord

War carts are amazing. You can take almost everything in the beginning of the game with just a bit of production. I disagree with those who say jaguar warriers are better. Jaguar warriers are fun. But they are more costly and slower and you do not get as much bang for your production as with war carts. Yes you can get some workers with them but once you have gone through the first wave of ai units they seem to not produce them fast so it is just cities to take left

20. drubell

drubell Chieftain

War-carts can't be boosted by Great Generals and are limited by the movement of battering rams as soon as walls go up, which tear war-carts to shreds.