So what is the best UU in the game?

I never bother with encampments in a game (unless Macedon) just build carts and carts and carts

Last edited:
Mamluke is probably the best UU. You can beeline the Minas Geraes and dominate the whole planet pretty easily though.

I think the Brazilian Minas Geraes is one heck of a UU. Replaces the Battleship, but comes a whole era earlier and is still only just a little worse than it's sucessor (the missile cruiser with 80 vs. 85 ranged strength). You can use this unit practically in 4 out of 8 eras of the game! of course, in late game there are more viable options to attack cities (bombers) but still...
Naval domination for half the game is ensured!

The Minases are probably my favourite, but it's got to do with my preferred play style, too: I don't like very early wars, they feel repetitive and somewhat exploitative, because an archers & warriors military is all it takes to dominate.

The thing about Minas is that you can get it so much earlier than the regular battleship AND you can equip the way too powerful +100% production card towards Industrial era ships, that applies to the Minas but does not apply to the Battleship - this whole thing is kind of crazy and really makes the Minas so incredibly powerful as you can build lots of them so fast and destroy everything that's on coast.

While I don’t think that the Cree UU is the most powerful, it might just be the most fun.

An extra promotion off the start means they will be able to move through hills or forests with ease.

Their combat bonus means they will be able to fend off barbs easily.

Combine that with extra xp for recon units and one could have lots of fun hopefully discovering all the new natural wonders. :)

Other than the Brazilian Minas Geraes, are there any mid-game UU's that people like? I always prefer to avoid early offensive wars as much as possible.

Other than the Brazilian Minas Geraes, are there any mid-game UU's that people like? I always prefer to avoid early offensive wars as much as possible.

I can't think of any. Too many require hard building which I don't care for. Samuraii, China's uu, France's uu. Not sure if Redcoats count for mid-game. But getting them for free (if you settle off continent cities) is always a plus. But I have yet to use them offensively. As I avoid mid game offensive wars.

Indonesia's Jong is probably the best one in mid game
I do not mind diggers or cossacks either

The thing about Minas is that you can get it so much earlier than the regular battleship AND you can equip the way too powerful +100% production card towards Industrial era ships, that applies to the Minas but does not apply to the Battleship - this whole thing is kind of crazy and really makes the Minas so incredibly powerful as you can build lots of them so fast and destroy everything that's on coast.

Yup, the card really makes this UU shine.

I forgot about my own country, but on an island map, the Longship is pretty good. It is buildable from the start, costs the same as the Galley it replaces, but is stronger and faster. It also synergizes with Norway's abilities, which allows it to be built more quickly, and to raid coastal tiles. On the right map, it can be devastating.

I played India a couple of times but never really liked the bonusses and actually never really tried out the Varus. So, I rectified that yesterday and that was impressive. Next door neighbours were even Nubia and Scythia but they got trampled :p hard. Fun stuff, can't wait to try them with the new leader.

Nubian Archers are probably my top pick. They are so powerful it is ridiculous. My last game had 4 archers with the promotion to attack twice on the same turn, because I used them so much. When I made those into crossbowmen, and then cannons, I was wrecking a more powerful Alexander even though he had knights and other tech that I did not have at the time. On a higher difficulty it is tough getting attacked by advanced AI, but those archers make it easier to deal with. Also, you only need one less archer to take cities with than all other civs, because theirs is so strong.

Warcarts is number 2. They are just too nasty. It's like having heavy chariots on turn one and they are quick to make. Once you keep 5-6 solid promoted ones, they become knights as a timing push, and the wars just keep getting easier. The only thing that stops that war machine is a lack of oil in the later game, but that does not matter much because science wise they are number 1 on that! Ziggurats need a number restriction or a nerf.

Nubian Archers and Warcarts are both so strong that I stopped playing the civs attached to them entirely.

Honourable mention to the Kongo UU, just because I love the whole civ so much. If you get the +10 vs ranged attacks promo it'll take less damage from city attacks than it heals when fortified untill field cannons come around (really long for AIs). Give the Ngao Mbeba a battering ram and you can just go ham on cities without fear of getting focused down by bombardements and crossbows.

While I don’t think that the Cree UU is the most powerful, it might just be the most fun.

An extra promotion off the start means they will be able to move through hills or forests with ease.

Their combat bonus means they will be able to fend off barbs easily.

Combine that with extra xp for recon units and one could have lots of fun hopefully discovering all the new natural wonders. :)

Stealing workers and settlers, waging war in combination with some archers, pillaging enemy improvements, using them as cheap garrison...

Best? That's a dumb question as everything is good in it's own way.

But... here's my list.

Most fun; Legion. If I'm in a bitter mood and just need to be aggressive to some poor AI civs to make myself feel better... I'll load up Trajan, beeline the legions (no other techs needed) and go ham. Once I conquered half a continent and start seeing crossbows, I can just hit that restart button and do it all over again. I can do with 2 Legions what it takes other nations 3 or 4 archers and some warriors, even faster. Legions just wreck cities, and even though you may start conquest a little later than you would an archer rush, it goes so much faster. Toss in a ram when you see walls start appearing and they just dont stop.

Best Tasting; Samurai. (i.e most flavor) if everything is perfect (that is you use world builder or actually randomly draw a Yosemite start) a beeline can work, and you can use these units to trash sword/archer armies. What I love about them is the Hats, animations, and sound effects. Every samurai you make comes out with a different look to them. Very cool indeed. It's mainly just the hats they wear but they are very varied. The "schwing" of the swords is so much fun to hear as you trash archers like they arent even there. And there is no reason to upgrade them to Muskets. the strength difference doesnt make up for the need to run them back to Giant's Causeway... just keep them going. Also attacking at full strength while injured means you spend less time resting than you do attacking. Just keep fighting until you get a farm. The only melee units I've ever had get to level 3 and beyond without using a general.

Most OP; Eagle warriors of course. Those workers... those tasty tasty workers... and they build districts too! Now I got real lucky in my game on Resources... and happen to find an island with 3 more on it... which made my Eagle Warriors more powerful than AI swordsman. A warrior with 40 strength is just dumb. I actually avoided getting ironworking as long as possible because I didnt need the swordsmen... but imagine the power of Monty's swords if his warriors were better than AI swords... That whole civ is just stupid OP. My archers were on par with crossbows... in the ancient era. Nerf Monty.

The surprise love; When I loaded up my first game, I was real disappointed to see U-boats as a UU. WTF? NO! Game... Just NO! Give me my Panzers! However... Although it took me a few games to realize... the raider class is the best class of ships. They can do everything (except take cities). And I fell in love with the class in general. So cheaper subs, that see farther aint bad at all.

The 'Huh... that's kinda cool'; Redcoats. Seriously it throws me into a fit to come close to losing a unit... I work so hard on those promotions, I cherish every unit I make, and goto great lengths to make sure they never die. But redcoats... that's a different story entirely. It's real nice to have a free unit that you dont care about to do suicide missions to pillage that campus for those bulbs. Do it for the BULBS! "A single life is lighter than a feather, but a bulb is heavier than a nation." Kamikazi Redcoats are very useful... because FREE! I had so many of the darned things I couldnt suicide them fast enough... I couldnt find jobs for them all.

Looks good on paper, but I havent played em yet; The archer, warcart, varu.... I'll get around to them sooner or later but I sure hate fighting them.

Last edited:
Best is unqualified
the eagle warrior is not the best in MP.. are we just talking SP?
Best Value for Money? best Early game Unit?
Is the qualification based on taking away other national abilities (like eagle warrior +x amenities?)
Best unit at its time in the game? (The mustang is pretty OP)
Best all round... the mamluk is pretty cool

Best is unqualified
the eagle warrior is not the best in MP.. are we just talking SP?
Best Value for Money? best Early game Unit?
Is the qualification based on taking away other national abilities (like eagle warrior +x amenities?)
Best unit at its time in the game? (The mustang is pretty OP)
Best all round... the mamluk is pretty cool

This is probably just best in each person’s opinion. :p

Old thread, but I stumbled upon it while looking for another thread.

Has Rise and Fall changed anyone's opinions on best UU? One thing I've noticed about Rise and Fall is none of the UU's really stand out. The Dutch ship is pretty good, but comes so late when warfare isn't that attractive (for a civ that gets bonuses through peaceful actions). Impi are pretty good, but their true power only comes with the early corps and armies. I'm playing as Chandra right now, and the Varu are pretty awesome, but of course this unit was in Vanilla Civ6 as well.

I want to try the Dutch ships but waring with the Dutch feels so wrong. Also like to give the Minas a go but nothing about Brazil excites me, I had no interest in playing them

Jong.
You can buy it with faith, which your civ is making anyway just being close to water, and with tons of harbor, and with luck you can get the battleship-general during medieval age that will destroy all coastal cities that will snowball your faith

Top Bottom