So why is Confucianism a relgion?

Wasn't Confucius an agnostic theist who believed that the worship of Tian (loosely translated as Heaven, sometimes) is required for political stability? Or am I incorrect on that one?

That's good material then. Confucianism certainly fits several of the definitions of religion that exist in multiple dictionaries. I don't see the holes in the argument for its inclusion in civ IV then...it fits definition-wise and in terms of # of followers...and in terms of historic significance.

Part of me wishes they were all pushed up. Sure, "choose religions" can change which 2-3 religions dominate per game, but I'd like to see a greater variety in games...where say sometimes 2 religions take over as currently happens, but in other games even 5-6 are viable and cause a lot more hatred.

Although it probably doesn't happen as often as you want to, I have experienced certain multi-continent multi-civ games where various religions were founded and established on differing continents. One such game on aggresive ai bts (no mods, choose religion on) custom continents (6), 18 civs led to 5 different factions of religions consisting of about 4 civilizations a piece. This coinciding with the aggressive ai led to massive world-wide faction based warring around the early industrial era.

In the end freedom of religion was a nearly non-existent phenomena and i believe all but Islam had at least one leader representing their faith. I can post a save game if someone explains how that is done so neat and cleanly on these forums.

Double post

Confucianism is not a religion, it is a more like a government philosophy. It is in the game because it has made a huge impact on the world. Neo-confucianism IS a religion.

Top Bottom