Soldier Personalities

usi

Shogun
With this mod, newly trained units might start with special promotions representing their personalities, e.g., Fierce, Cunning, and Charismatic.

Details
- Currently, a newly trained unit has about 20% chance of getting one of the promotions, and about 3% chance of getting several of them
- None of the promotions obtained this way is stronger than most experience-based promotions
- Only Archer, Melee, Mounted, and Gun units may be promoted, and different kinds of units get different promotions (there are overlaps though)

List of Promotions Available So Far
  1. Fierce - +25% attack (no defense) bonus in open terrain; for mounted and melee units
  2. Gifted - Gains 50% more experience; for mounted and archer units
  3. Cunning - +15% combat strength vs wounded units; for archer and gun units
  4. Brave - +25% attack bonus in rough terrain; for melee and gun units
  5. Cautious - +1 visibility; for archer and gun units
  6. Heroic - +50% more contribution to GG points (half of Companion Cavalry and quarter of Samurai); for mounted and melee units
  7. Charismatic - Heals +1 HP per turn; for mounted and melee units
  8. Intelligent - +15% combat strength vs fortified units; for archer and gun units
  9. Swift - +1 movement; for mounted and archer units; for mounted and archer units
  10. Tactical - +15% city attack; for melee and gun units
  11. Elusive - +15% defense against ranged attacks; for archer and gun units
  12. Noble - -50% upgrade cost; for mounted and melee units
Feedbacks
It is my first mod utilizing Lua, so please inform me of any bugs you found. Suggestions are also welcomed.

Lua file modified
UnitFlagManager.lua

Can you give us a list of what the promotions are and what they do?

Cheers,

This is a cool idea and I'd like to expand on it a bit with my own idea here:

If you have a great general in the city it could greatly increase the likelyhood of getting one of these promotions, like the general is imprinting his personality on the troops. Maybe think you could even set it up so each general has a personality based on his real life one.

Hi usi.. you may want to indicate where to find you in your mod. I had a hard time finding you.

First off I LOVE this mod. I have one problem so far.. Im not sure if its your mod or the other mods im using. My units seem to be sprouting a TON of personalities after they are built and roaming around a bit. It was kinda neat at first when a scout i had all of a sudden picked up swift. But now I have a ton of warriors with pretty much all the personalities.

In short.. the personalities are becoming like tribbles. Hepl!

Using the following

TOTAL MOD ALPhA
DAN MARTY MOD
TREE GROWTH
TRANSPORT SHIPS
TECH DIFFUSION
INFO ADDICT
BALANCE (all of them)
MORE UNIT information
Specialized barbarian units.

EDIT: I also want to say.. the personalities are really one of my favorite things when theyre rare.. so I hope I can figure this out! I LOVE THIS IDEA!

REQUEST: If you have some additional free time. Some nice penalty personalities might be cool too. You could end up using these units as cannon fodder. Would be a nice flavor twist

The mod is still in beta, so a lot of additions is likely, though I will be busy for a month or so.

Can you give us a list of what the promotions are and what they do?

So far, there are 12 of them (I'll also update the first post):
  1. Fierce - +25% attack (no defense) bonus in open terrain; for mounted and melee units
  2. Gifted - Gains 50% more experience; for mounted and archer units
  3. Cunning - +15% combat strength vs wounded units; for archer and gun units
  4. Brave - +25% attack bonus in rough terrain; for melee and gun units
  5. Cautious - +1 visibility; for archer and gun units
  6. Heroic - +50% more contribution to GG points (half of Companion Cavalry and quarter of Samurai); for mounted and melee units
  7. Charismatic - Heals +1 HP per turn; for mounted and melee units
  8. Intelligent - +15% combat strength vs fortified units; for archer and gun units
  9. Swift - +1 movement; for mounted and archer units; for mounted and archer units
  10. Tactical - +15% city attack; for melee and gun units
  11. Elusive - +15% defense against ranged attacks; for archer and gun units
  12. Noble - -50% upgrade cost; for mounted and melee units

This is a cool idea and I'd like to expand on it a bit with my own idea here:
If you have a great general in the city it could greatly increase the likelyhood of getting one of these promotions, like the general is imprinting his personality on the troops. Maybe think you could even set it up so each general has a personality based on his real life one.

Yeah, that's a great idea.
And AI loves to place GGs in cities, so doing so shouldn't give too much benefits to human players either.:lol:

Hi usi.. you may want to indicate where to find you in your mod. I had a hard time finding you.

Oops! Thanks for pointing out!

My units seem to be sprouting a TON of personalities after they are built and roaming around a bit. It was kinda neat at first when a scout i had all of a sudden picked up swift. But now I have a ton of warriors with pretty much all the personalities.

I'll need to take a look, as personality promotions are supposed to be uncommon, and scouts should never get any personality promotions.
My guess is that the problem has to do with lua (programming) files, which are not very malleable, but I'll need to check.

REQUEST: If you have some additional free time. Some nice penalty personalities might be cool too. You could end up using these units as cannon fodder. Would be a nice flavor twist

That's easy to add, and I like the idea, so hopefully that will be added in the next version (v3).

Sorry Usi... it was a scout that Became an archer due to goodyhut. So it could have gotten swift after it changed. I should have mentioned that.

Nice mod, reminds me of Fall from Heaven in civ4

newly trained units might start

Can all your units get this, no matter how they where created? If I buy a unit for gold, or if a militaristic city state gives me a unit, will those units too have the chanse to get the special promotions?

Now I found what was causing the problem of too many promotions.
Spoiler :
I edited a function called "OnUnitCreated", which is triggered by an event called "SerialEventUnitCreated."
Based on these names, I assumed that the event is triggered when and only when a unit is created.
However, it appears that the event can be triggered at other times, e.g., when the unit is upgraded.
I'll fix the problem after I got some time.

Sorry Usi... it was a scout that Became an archer due to goodyhut. So it could have gotten swift after it changed.

Thanks for telling me that, since that piece of information helped me find the problem.

Bug: No longer displays the yields in city view

Hmm..., that doesn't happen to me.
Could you upload the save and a screenshot or two?

Can all your units get this, no matter how they where created? If I buy a unit for gold, or if a militaristic city state gives me a unit, will those units too have the chanse to get the special promotions?

Units can get these promotions no matter if they are trained or purchased.
I think units gifted by city states can also get the promotions, but I have not made sure.

Units can get these promotions no matter if they are trained or purchased.
I think units gifted by city states can also get the promotions, but I have not made sure.

Gifted units can have promotions. I have a swift archer right now that Belgrade gave me.

I also love this idea. I also had the issue with way too many promotions - glad to know it's fixed now. It's not game breaking enough for me to stop using it anyway, since I'm playing Emperor and the AI gets way more promotions than I do still. But I can use them more effectively... so it balances itself fairly well.

I have also had scouts that upgrade to archers / spearmen / etc gain promotions, wonder why, but I actually think that's really cool though! If you think about it, as the unit trains, perhaps its personality develops? So, if you did add penalty bonuses, and left the ability for units to gain personalities on upgrades, it would show the development of personalities over time. Although I do think this would still work better if the rarity of personalities was increased.

OR - make it so ALL units start with at least 1 personality (everyone has a personality, after all, some are just less extreme (different values.)) Then make the chances of secondary and tertiary personalities through training (combat wins or upgrades) less and less common. Just my two cents, I really enjoy playing with this mod. +1 sight is amazing! =D

Love the idea of this mod, but I sadly haven't been able to play it.

It seems to be incompatible with my other installed mods, most likely the conflict is with Kael's Queen of the Iceni mod. I much prefer Kael's large single unit graphics, which is why I need to keep it enabled.
In any case, when I start a new game with my usual mods and yours, I get a graphics glitch - all the units have a long row of symbols over their heads, so long, that they overlap with other units'.

I realize asking for compatability with other mods is a bit presumptous, but Kael's is special because it is the sole source of single unit graphics (AFAIK) - I'd be grateful if you could check it out.

Thank you people for liking the mod, and sorry for my inactivity these days.

Actually I have been adding some new promotions, but I am having hard time coming up wih good personality names.
I would really appreciate if you can list some adjectives (or maybe nouns) that might be suitable for the mod.

Top Bottom