[SOLVED] Adding Packs to a WorldBuilder Map

BlackEmperor

Chieftain
Hello,
I wanted to know if it's possible to add expansion packs (perhaps even modded content) to an existing WorldBuilder map? I started working on a map a while ago and since then, the Byzantium & Gaul civs have been released as part of the New Frontier Pass. However, I'm unable to place these civs in my current map (they don't show up in the list). I'd basically have to create a new map from scratch to have them available, but I'd like to avoid that. I tried to work around it by placing starting positions for "random" civs, but this doesn't really seem to work (I can't choose either Gaul or Byzantium during game setup and instead have duplicates of preset civs that spawn on top of other civs). I guess the more advanced map mods use lua files or something to achieve these things, but I've no experience with that.
If I could somehow export the map's contents (tiles, features, resources) and import them into a new map, that would work as well... but I have no idea if that's possible either.
I hope someone can help!

You can open up your .Civ6Map files with a SQLite editor, and under "ModDependencies", you can add expansion packs. If you're not sure what the parameters are, you could create a new dummy map that uses all of the DLC and open that up as a reference.

I infer from the wording to your original question that you are able to place starting locations in World Builder and have the selected civs spawn there when you create a game using that map. I have been having trouble getting this to work -- I place start locations in WB, save the map, ensure the mod is enabled, then create a game... but my set starting locations are ignored, and when I open the map back up, the starting locations I placed have disappeared as if I never saved after placing them. I figure I'm missing a step somewhere but I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be...

I infer from the wording to your original question that you are able to place starting locations in World Builder and have the selected civs spawn there when you create a game using that map. I have been having trouble getting this to work -- I place start locations in WB, save the map, ensure the mod is enabled, then create a game... but my set starting locations are ignored, and when I open the map back up, the starting locations I placed have disappeared as if I never saved after placing them. I figure I'm missing a step somewhere but I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be...
Well, in that particular map I created, civs have fixed starting positions, so I don't use random ones. Starting locations only show up in Advanced mode by the way (which is diabled by default when loading a map in WB), but I think you already know that.

Yeah, the only way to place starting locations at all is by first enabling advanced mode.

The one difference I can see between what you describe doing and what I did is that I was setting start locations by whether they were human or AI players, not by specific civ; I'll try doing it that way, and see if it works...

Thanks for responding!

Ah, I see. I've placed them all as humans I believe, but AIs will still spawn in these places as well. So that might do the trick.

You can open up your .Civ6Map files with a SQLite editor, and under "ModDependencies", you can add expansion packs. If you're not sure what the parameters are, you could create a new dummy map that uses all of the DLC and open that up as a reference.
Sorry for necroing the post, but how exactly does one use SQLite? I've never heard of this before. I've edited map files before, but never using this.

Edit: nvm, I figured it out

Last edited:
Top Bottom