Some basic help

AmosBurton

Chieftain
Ok guys so I’m feeling a little bit lost here. I played an unhealthy amount of Civ2 as a kid then didn’t touch the series again until Civ5 but I stopped playing Civ5 before Gods & Kings. So jumping into Civ6 the mechanics are somewhat overwhelming. I’m playing through on Prince right now just to get a feel for the new Tech/Civics tree and city layouts but I haven’t touched religion at all and I can tell my strategy is far less than optimal. So a few quick questions.

Is it possible to make it through while ignoring some of the parts of the game? Ie. not getting involved in religion/faith if I just want to play for a science or domination victory. Also can somebody explain why the campus district is seen as a negative? I’ve seen multiple threads that agree that building the district is bad but I’m not sure I understand why. My strategy in the past was to try and focus on science to get an early tech lead then build up an army more advanced than my neighbors to launch war either for fun or for a domination win. So I built a Campus in every district so I could build libraries and universities. Is it also dependent on the location? My capital happened to have a tile with mountains on 3 sides like that tile is perfect for a campus.

If it matters I am very much a recreational player so I’m usually playing on King and might occasionally try Emperor. I know I don’t have to have the perfect strategy to still come out as a winner at King but I like to at least attempt to maximize my performance.

Yes you can definately win the game while ignoring religion/faith.

The big thing that changed in terms of science is that campus/science buildings no longer give science multipliers like in Civ 5. They just give a flat boost and most of your science is just gonna come from the size of your population. Also great scientists aren't nearly as good as in earlier civ games. It's generally better to grow your empire and increase production first and only build campus districts and buildings once you're satisfied with the size and development of the rest of the empire. Science definately isn't as snowbally anymore.

As for difficulty levels, the thing you have to do is build more military units at higher levels. The main way you're going to lose is by losing an early war. Later on the AI won't do a great job at developing their empire or upgrading their units to more modern versions.

The easiest quickest dirties way for me to get going quickly in civ 6 consist of early military might and then trade and production. So first off my build que tends to look something like this: warrior warrior slinger builder settler. Early on I go for archers because just a few of them can fend of lots and lots of AI units. Secondly if horses are available I go for horsemen. Production is mighty important and internal trade routes help a lot. So when it comes to districts I tend to go for commerce and industrial. After that early military which may help you grab a few extra cities I try to research for industrial district asap.

When it comes to placing cities I look for strategic resources and hills and mountains. Mountains because if you get 3-4 around a hex you can get a campus which will get a lot of science and hills for production. Also the industrial district gets production bonus from adjacent mines. After that the rest doesn't matter as much. With this you can pretty much steam-roll the AI on prince/king without any problems.

Some general tips for Civ 6. I'm having some difficulty with the diplomacy. It hold a lot of promise but I can't keep anyone happy with me so I have given up on that until it gets patched or someone mods it.

The reason folks are bashing on Campuses is because the cost of any new district is governed by how many techs and civics you have unlocked. The faster you tech, the more expensive any districts you want to build will be.

So, a lot of folks are beelining towards the Industrial zone, and plopping those down (the cost is fixed when the district is place, you can suspend production and come back later and the cost hasn't increased).

It's very easy to tech like crazy, and end up in the medevial era with access to very powerful units that you cannot afford to build, because you can't afford to build an Industrial zones.

So, you have much more incentive to balance your access to hammers / gears, whatever, and how fast your tech is going.

Thanks guys. It sounds like I focus too much on buildings too early on when I should be building units/settlers. I have a habit of seeing new buildings unlock and wanting to build every building in my capital even though I know it should be doing other things.

Thanks guys. It sounds like I focus too much on buildings too early on when I should be building units/settlers. I have a habit of seeing new buildings unlock and wanting to build every building in my capital even though I know it should be doing other things.

I think that sums it up quite nice. I also tend to go for building everything but I find it easier to do in this game if you focus on production early and get some nice trade going. Once you leave the early game you can usually have a few cities where you got almost everything and they can just keep focusing on units and you can build buildings in your other cities. If you are a building builder as long as you leave the early game its quite satisfying.

Top Bottom