Some civilizations you won't know are powerful/fun unless you play it...

Atinuviel

Chieftain
So I've been trying to get a victory with every civilization, and in the way are some of the more obscure ones that I've avoided up until now. In doing so, I find it incredibly refreshing to force yourself out of your comfort zone and try something different.

What really prompted me to make this topic was my current attempt with Denmark. At first sight his UA and UUs look mediocre: what's 1 extra embarked movement honestly? And who needs a better Longswordman when most early conquest can be done with archery and a cavalry unit? Well, I'm glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how fun Denmark is.

There's really no understating how strong Berserker is simply by getting it one tech ahead at Metal Casting as opposed to Steel. You're getting a melee unit that could potentially be viable all the way through the Renaissance early in the Medieval era, and with 3 movements it massacres ranged units. It also enables efficient fighting even in Great Wall, something that can stop a domination victory straight in its track. Pillaging is also incredibly useful with its 3 movements.

The UA facilitates fighting in a way very different from before. Players of Denmark would know well the Embarked Siege Unit setup and fire in a single turn trick and how well it enables taking city. Simple ranged units with logistics also work the same way: disembark and shoot twice, or disembark, shoot, and embark again to allow another unit to take its place.

Yep plus the Berserker synergises perfectly with the heroic epic which provides a very powerful promotion.

Also their UU in the medieval era means you get 80 turns to get your civ established whilst allowing neighbors to build your wonders for you.

Another neat trick that I figured out as I finished up my Domination Victory: the interaction between logistic units and the disembark mechanic. Once you have 4+ movement speed while embarked(so after Astronomy), you can disembark, shoot twice, then go back into the sea. This basically allows your Ranged units to act like Keshiks/Camel Archers, rotating through even a single choke point without taking too much damage in return.

Top Bottom