Some combat questions...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Feb 12, 2013.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

1) The Formation promotion grants a bonus against "armor" units. What, if anything, constitutes an armor unit in pre-industrial eras?

2) Does a unit that's fortified become unfortified after it's attacked? I've seen my fortified units lose their shield-shaped icon after getting slammed.

2. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

1) I don't believe there are any "armor" units before land cruisers.

2) I can't say for sure, but I am fairly certain units that are attacked do not lose their "fortification" bonus against other attacks that turn. I believe this fortification remains after the turn as well...

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

On fortification, make sure your unit is actually fortified. If you click on the shield with cross-hatching on the main unit menu (just above the snooze button), your unit is on alert, but not fortified (no defensive bonus).

To get the fortification defensive bonus, you need to either (1) click the fortify heal button (if your unit is injured) or (2) go to the secondary menu (where the unit deletion button is--don't click the wrong item) and click on the solid shield. If you are truly fortified, you will remain fortified when attacked (in fact, I lose more injured scouts that way -- when fortify healing they won't wake up or scream for help when attacked).

4. Mylor

Mylor Chieftain

The keyboard shortcut for fortification is (F). It's quicker and easier than clicking to the second menu options. ;)

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

That works too. :)

6. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Thanks, guys.

I always wonder why fortify is buried in a submenu option.

7. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

I think they are still fortified while on alert if they get attacked from far enough away for them not to activate first, but yea they definitely lose the defensive bonus once they activate. I wish it would just show the strength modifiers on the unit info instead of having to attack something to see them.

8. thegingerninja

thegingerninja Warlord

Formation is for horses. Ambush is for armor

9. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

What's your evidence for this? :confused:

I have always assumed that a unit that spends zero (i.e., not even a fraction) of a movement point during a turn is considered fortified, so on alert, healing or 'skip turn' also qualify. You aren't informed of your defensive bonuses, and you aren't informed of the orders of AI units ...

:hmm: have you been collaborating with your enemies in a multiplayer game???
    I've played only SP.

10. BHN Tech 4312

BHN Tech 4312 Warlord

I wouldn't think it would use the words fortify in commands if you were always fortified when not moving.

11. Biologist

Biologist Emperor

I think the difference between Alert, Fortify, Sleep, and Skip Turn works like this:

Alert causes your unit to fortify, and remain fortified until the beginning of your next turn. Number of attacks, enemy sightings, etc. do not affect this. Note that alert can be used on some units that by definition cannot fortify (e.g. naval units and cavalry); in those cases it just means that the unit will sleep until approached by an enemy unit. Awakened units do not lose accumulated fortification bonuses unless upgraded, moved, ordered to attack, or ordered to skip a turn.

Fortify causes your unit to fortify and enter sleep mode indefinitely. The unit will not awaken at all until activated by the player. Wakening the unit does not remove fortification bonuses until the unit is ordered to move, attack, upgrade, or skip a turn.

Sleep causes the unit to enter sleep mode indefinitely without fortifying. It works identically to Fortify, except that no fortification bonus is applied to the unit.

Skip Turn causes the unit to stay in place without entering sleep mode or fortifying. The unit will be alert at the start of your next turn.

Note that Alert, Fortify, Sleep and Skip Turn can all be canceled before the end of the player's turn.