Some ideas for VP and/or modmods

Unrelated thing: I'd absolutely love if we could give Industry a more clear niche by making it more appealing to those going for a cultural victory (Rationalism is great for SV, Imperialism for domination victory), so I'd give the opener or one of the first two policies the ability to get golden age points for every unit purchase or investment, and I'd have each Industry policy increase the golden age length).

One idea I had a while ago was to have Industry speed up TRs by 25% or so. This would trigger more TR tourism and speed up the development of franchises. So all in all a good general ability that also has some tourism focus.

Regarding strategic and global monopolies on strategic resources, I'd be in favour of flipping bonuses, i.e. have the "combat" bonuses apply to global monopolies as they are stronger and should be harder to attain, but I'd buff the bonuses to strategic monopolies by a little bit to make them a bit more worthwhile.

Regarding strategic and global monopolies on strategic resources, I'd be in favour of flipping bonuses, i.e. have the "combat" bonuses apply to global monopolies as they are stronger and should be harder to attain, but I'd buff the bonuses to strategic monopolies by a little bit to make them a bit more worthwhile.
100% agree. I've mentioned this before as well.

I think it'd be cool if there would be a world congress resolution that would double a certain monopoly's bonus. Right now you can only attack other civs in this manner, but strengthening your own monopoly would be more useful universally. You could call it subsidizing luxury.

It'd also spruce up the variety slightly in world congress resolutions. Diplomatic attitudes regarding it should be easy to calculate as inverse of banning that particular luxury.

Another idea is to have a world economic leader similar to world religion or world ideology, where their monopolies/corporations/trade routes gain some kind of bonus as an opposite form of a sanction.

The marble bonus should be changed to something less strong than the current bonus to empire culture, because it's sometimes attainable with even one copy (sometimes even near your capital with the East India Company), so I'd propose changing it to giving 6 happiness to the empire.

The marble bonus should be changed to something less strong than the current bonus to empire culture, because it's sometimes attainable with even one copy (sometimes even near your capital with the East India Company), so I'd propose changing it to giving 6 happiness to the empire.
Yeah, I hunt it down whenever I can, and any city with marble is usually the top candidate to build EIC. That said, the monopoly is definitely not attainable with only one copy; securing a second copy normally requires forward settling another civ or taking an opposing capital city. I kind of like the unique bonus it provides in relation to the other monopolies, but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to some kind of tweak.

Kim, it happens when there are only three (or two or one, as it sometimes, albeit rarely, happens) copies of marble on the map, then 1 (plus one from EIC) is enough to gain a monopoly.

Kim, it happens when there are only three (or two or one, as it sometimes, albeit rarely, happens) copies of marble on the map, then 1 (plus one from EIC) is enough to gain a monopoly.
I think you need to have more than 50%, so if 3 then 1+1(EIC) is not enough. Because then other player could have 2 copies and 2 against 2 - you both would have 2 copies of marble and who get the monopoly?

As I play mostly large maps - they usually have more marble - so for me bonus is OK. Also you have so many variables for culture, that usually bonus gets to like 3-4% in reality, may be less.

There are always 6 marble in a Standard map (75% of number of civs). Unless terrain doesn't permit.

AndreyK, the first to get over 50% gets the monopoly, so in your scenario, the first one to 2 copies would get the monopoly (and keep it even after the second civ got 2 copies of marble).

Azum4roll, playing on oval map (8 civs), I often see maps with 3 copies of marble.

AndreyK, the first to get over 50% gets the monopoly, so in your scenario, the first one to 2 copies would get the monopoly (and keep it even after the second civ got 2 copies of marble).

Azum4roll, playing on oval map (8 civs), I often see maps with 3 copies of marble.

Are you sure about that. I regularly get 50% of resource first but no bonus. Always need 51%+ to get it.

You are correct, you need to get over 50%, but that means 2 copies of marble out of 3 are over 50% (2/3 = 66%).

Alright, so to clear up any confusion I decided to test this.
Yes, if there are only 3 copies of Marble then having one and then building EIC gives you the monopoly.
BUT to get only 3 copies I had to play on a tiny size map (4 civs). So this seems to be a pretty rare issue.

Spoiler Before Building EIC :

upload_2021-3-5_8-32-59.png

Spoiler After Building EIC :

upload_2021-3-5_8-39-13.png

Alright, so to clear up any confusion I decided to test this.
Yes, if there are only 3 copies of Marble then having one and then building EIC gives you the monopoly.
BUT to get only 3 copies I had to play on a tiny size map (4 civs). So this seems to be a pretty rare issue.

Spoiler Before Building EIC :

Spoiler After Building EIC :

That doesn't make sense, if there were only 3 in the world & you had one, how does building EIC give you a majority as having 2 of 3. Surely that would be 2 of 4, which isn't a majority. If the owners of the other two also build the EIC on a city containing Marble, do they have a majority as will, of 2 of 3.

That doesn't make sense, if there were only 3 in the world & you had one, how does building EIC give you a majority as having 2 of 3. Surely that would be 2 of 4, which isn't a majority. If the owners of the other two also build the EIC on a city containing Marble, do they have a majority as will, of 2 of 3.
EIC doesn’t add resources to the map, so the map total remains at 3.
only 1 civ can have the monopoly, but if there is a tie, it’s first come first serve. In order to take the monopoly, another civ has to beat the Dutch’s % ownership

Top Bottom