Some of my suggestions after two days Civ VI

Eurik

Chieftain
I have played Civilization from the first edition onwards. I can see that in Civilization VI cool features have been added. But I also see that cool features of previous editions have been removed. Some of my suggestions, after playing for two days, are the following:
  1. City states: In previous Civilization games you were able to play without city states. In Civilization VI you are obliged to play with city states. This totally spoils this edition for me. I dislike city states very much because there is no logic behind the thought why a city state should be treated differently from city civilizations. At least give me the choice to remove them from the game. Lovers can include them.
  2. I miss the vassal state option. It was a very cool option in peace negotiations and other diplomacy.
  3. There is no logical reason to split research into science and culture. Both are intertwined. And if you are going to split, then at least be consistent: split into production, economy, science, culture and religion.
  4. In a previous Civilization you had a good overview of diplomatic relations of all players. Remember the big circle? That was so handy! I miss this overview.
  5. In my game I have not been able to trade maps or discoveries. If they are left out, then please include them again. I also want to be able to trade vassal state, religious conversion and conversion of government. Make the trade negotiations complete and full featured, and thus interesting.
  6. In the new graphics I miss the overview of resources. In precious Civilizations you could zoom out very far and still see where resources were located. That was very handy especially in colonizing other continents. (I always play huge maps). Now to find proper recourses on a huge map is almost impossible.
  7. In the overview of cities I want to be able to sort my cities on base of productivity, etc. In previous Civilization editions this was possible.
  8. I noticed that on menu numbers the second number is written smaller than the first. That doesn’t make sense.
  9. There used to be a Civilization edition to play not only East-West connecting but also North-South. I loved that option as it is more realistic. Now with the hexes you can even play a full globe! How cool would that be?!
  10. It seems that in diplomacy you cannot demand, or can be demanded, to adopt another religion. I fought fierce religious wars but nobody threatened me to change religion.
  11. The religious wars fought parallel to territorial wars are exciting! More units are welcome.
  12. Military combat is well balanced. I found it interesting. Combining units into armies is an interesting new feature.
  13. I would like the overview back where you can see how many units you lost and destroyed. I like statistics.
  14. I miss at the aftergame the movie that shows the history of your map.
  15. Districts are a welcomed change. It makes the city planning more interesting.
  16. The overlays of religion and settler units blurr the original map too much. Orientation becomes difficult. More opacity is needed.
  17. Land units can sail over waters too easily. Disadvantages:
  • Discovering sailing early becomes irrelevant. You just let your scout sail to discover new lands. It used to be very exciting to become the first to discover new lands while others were still stuck at their continent.
  • Building water units becomes less interesting.
  • Getting your units from one continent to another used to be a hassle. But it also was an exciting and risky expedition. A solution might be to ‘link’ land units to water units (and later perhaps even certain air units).
  • On small strokes of lands you could block armies. Now they simply go into sailing mode.

Last edited:
I agree with points 1, 4, 5, 6, 7,10, 13, 14, 15, 16.
9: You could not play a globe with only hexes. The best approximation of a sphere with hexagons requires 12 pentagons if you want the hexes to be regular and have the same shape.
11: That could be cool if everybody had an actual chance to build a religion, if those units didn't prevent every other unit from moving around, and if the AI didn't suicide 30 apostles on your 4 apostles because you parkedyours near a holy district.
12: If only the AI could play the game, yes.
14: Stressing this again. This was so good in Civ 1, 2 and 4. Why don't we have it again???

Top Bottom