1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Something smells rotten in the state of Denmark: No Denmark fix?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Phoenix1595, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

I think so, yeah. I can see the vikings declaring war on everyone, just to plunder their tiles and then retreat, enjoying their ill-gotten goods at home.

2. Fredgerd

Fredgerd Warlord

I never said they should get a bonus to food. OP did.

3. DarthSheldonPhD

DarthSheldonPhD Warlord

You make a good point, but the same could be said (and much more appropriately so) to the Bushido UA essentially making Japenese longswords into samurai. But the game still includes the samurai as a UU. Why? because that's one of the aspects of Japanese history that players want to be able to control/role-play. Much like the longboats.

4. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Actually, the word "viking" comes from the phrase "att gå viking", in other words "go out on an adventure", "go and fight" or "go plunder", and very often just for the sheer joy of it (and the loot of course!). But the Vikings loved combat, they yearned for it, and the only way to go to Valhalla (warriors heaven) was to actually die in combat.

Also, the Varjags in Constantinopel was vikings from Sweden who came down from Kievan Rus (which they ruled) in search for combat, fame and glory. They were so capable on the battlefield, so loyal, and trustworthy, that they were the only troops trusted by the Byzantine Emperor to act as his bodyguard.

Combat was something they very much wanted.

5. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I'm not claiming they didn't display great elan, but their primary motive were usually economic.

6. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

I think that the Ski Infantry should be replaced by the Longboat, but I was thinking more of a longboat replacing the trireme. It would have the ability to move in ocean tiles but it would have less combat strength.

7. HaloCapella

HaloCapella Chieftain

that is true, ski infantry should be replaced. We can put them into a social policy and make all civs can use them as an option to fight in the snow. like how we did to Foreign Legions and Landsknecht.

and yes, longboat will be great to rival early naval civs like Polynesia and Byzantines.

Longship: 12 strength (instead of 10) and bonus defense for embarked units adjacent to Longship.

it may not be great compared to River Warlord, but embarked unit movement from UA is key. can also defend from exploration and threat against your cargo ships.

and maybe add or replace over certain perk on Viking Fury with "units boost strength over pillaged tiles." can make land combat more interesting.

8. King_Course

King_Course Prince

This would make Denmark an unwelcome pariah in all games, all game long.

I enjoyed playing Denmark when I installed the longboat mod, which was basically an ocean going trireme with +1 movement.

I also used the smokehouse mod, a slightly improved granary, but this was mainly because the mod took out the ski infantry which I really can't take seriously.

These small changes even seemed to help Denmark when it was played by the AI.

But an early scouting longboat, together with an AI that has a tendency for naval invasions around it's beserkers. Maybe show up with a blunt demand of gold and luxuries or it's a wardec.

9. Thunda

Thunda Chieftain

Ski infantry is a terrible terrible unit. Other posters have said and I agree it makes no sense when Vikings and Longboats are what people associate with this civ. I agree that berserkers should be called Vikings and the Ski infantry replaced with a Longboat that comes at compass which can traverse oceans.

Another idea...how about allow danish units to sail up rivers with +1 movement while on rivers?

10. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Mastery of great continental rivers is associated more with the Varangians than the Vikings - and we already have the Swedes.

11. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

UA; Viking Heritage. +2 :c5culture: from Hills next to Ocean and each Offshore platform give +10% :c5gold: to city. Barbarian units does not dare attack, pillage or capture Danish cities, tiles and units.

UU; Viking; Replace Longsword. Amphibious. +2 Movement when embarked, and pay just 1 movement point to move from sea to land. Pay no movement cost when pillaging. Can build Trelleborg tile improvement.

UB; Trelleborg; Replace Fortification tile improvement. Friendly units get +30hp healed per turn when fortify/heal inside one. Can be built inside enemy territory. Can be built by Workers and Vikings.

12. leadtothehead

leadtothehead Chieftain

Varangian is just the name given by the Slavs and Byzantines for the Vikings traveling the east european river system, later they mixed and eventually assimilated into the Slavic populations (like they did most places they went) but they were Norse through and through.

Now as to where we divide the Vikings and Swedes at least in Civ 5 its largely by time period, generally Sweden begins with the reformation as far as capturing the in-game characteristics of the civilization.

13. leadtothehead

leadtothehead Chieftain

Love the idea of giving a bonus to offshore platforms that's a very clear characteristic of modern Norway.

As for the Trelleborg, I like the idea, heck I wrestled with suggesting a ring fort UI but decided against it because Morocco already has a fort replacement, however your idea sparked my imagination... How about on top of your abilities when built in enemy territory on a luxury or strategic resource you receive that resource.

14. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Yea, and the +2 :c5culture: was me thinking about norwegian fjords. :)

Might actually work. But would be very temporary boost.

I wish more people could give suggestions to Firaxis for changes. Give them ideas to work with!

If they even read this.....

15. crabe

crabe Chieftain

I agree with this as well. It's the same issue with Samurai. By the time you get them you're almost at gunpowder. As for Denmark's UA it's situationally very powerful, and usually at least somewhat useful. The problem is that Berzerkers and Ski Infantry are nowhere near as useful as what other militaristic civs get.

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Berserker is a tech back at Metal Casting, which helps a lot.

I just played as Denmark (or, more accurately, I'm playing with them now). I took Mercenary Armies for Landschneckts as well because it has nice synergy. The mobility of the Danes was extremely good. However, I missed the pillaging ability of the Berserker later on. One way to improve them would be to just give all their units that ability (free pillage) and let the Berserker keep the movement on upgrade. Although I would have been deprived of feeling clever for getting Landschneckts.

How about +1 move after each pillage (so, for normal units, it would even out, for free pillage units, you get even more moves)?

Of course, the complaint most have is the lack of economic bonus for them. I feel like they'd lose a lot of uniqueness if you get rid of either UU or the UA, but maybe something would be nice.