Sometimes I think this game tries to annoy me

Aramazd

Deity
So yesterday and today I was playing as the celts and had no resources except horses, so I had to found a useless desert town to get iron and waste 20 turns to conquer a nation full of jungle in order to get saltpeter. As the largest civ with lots of mountains, desert and jungle I had no rubber and oil. Both were only in the possession of my biggest friends and they each only had one. I lucked out on coal as I flipped a dutch city with it. Sometimes this game makes me so mad:mad: Is this common in other peoples games because stuff like this has happened alot (either I have few resources or few luxs).

Welcome to the club. We all have horror stories.

One time I was playing along, minding my own business. Just discovered Steam Power, and was happily railroading my territory. Suddenly I couldn't build rails anymore. Finally figured out that my source of coal disappeared 2 turns after discovering it. :mad:

I seem to be lucky with resources. I usually get iron or horses somewhere near my start, and I can't remember one time I've been without coal/rubber/oil.

Welcome to the club. We all have horror stories.

One time I was playing along, minding my own business. Just discovered Steam Power, and was happily railroading my territory. Suddenly I couldn't build rails anymore. Finally figured out that my source of coal disappeared 2 turns after discovering it. :mad:

That had to have sucked monumentally.

I said in another post that the only rescource I had was horses and rubber. I had no salpeter, coal, oil, aluminum. My 'friends' didn't want to trade with me after a while because I was too advanced and they wouldn't even name a price. It put me off playing for quite about a week. I just started another game yesterday so I've yet to see how this one works out.

Yeah, in one of my Roman games I had a whole continent and didn't have any coal at all on it. I had a faraway island though, but it took me ages to build a harbor there. :)

For those who whine about not getting coal - start in the jungle, not that precious 3 cattle spot you're always looking for.

;)

Or mod the map so resources don't disappear, and make sure you've got coal in your conceivable territory.

:mischief:

But that would be the worst start ever. And you couldn't build any cities. Because not enough food would be coming in from the jungle and it would take for ever for workers to clear the jungle. If I had to chose. I'd rather have no coal.

(edit) crosspost

For those who whine about not getting coal - start in the jungle, not that precious 3 cattle spot you're always looking for.

;)
Actually, for the record, I had quite a lot of unchopped Jungle in my territory. It's true that the faraway island was almost only Jungle. ;)

Yup, the same thing has just happened to me in this new game I started. Saltpeter and coal and a faraway island and now the Persians are starting to hone in on my turf. I still haven't got any horses and the AI want a ridiculous amount of stuff in exchange for them.

Yup, the same thing has just happened to me in this new game I started. Saltpeter and coal and a faraway island and now the Persians are starting to hone in on my turf. I still haven't got any horses and the AI want a ridiculous amount of stuff in exchange for them.

The AI trade for resources is always bad. I'm the only civ with germs and skills, there is 3 civ with furs, but yet they will only trade the furs if I give 3 luxuries, or two + 20 something gpt, is just a ripoff.

The AI trade for resources is always bad. I'm the only civ with germs and skills, there is 3 civ with furs, but yet they will only trade the furs if I give 3 luxuries, or two + 20 something gpt, is just a ripoff.
The AI price luxuries on the basis of how many happy/contect faces they would produce, not how many civs have them (like, for example, techs). So if you're three times the size and have many Markets, another luxury will cost your far more than some other lux is worth for them.

The AI price luxuries on the basis of how many happy/contect faces they would produce, not how many civs have them (like, for example, techs). So if you're three times the size and have many Markets, another luxury will cost your far more than some other lux is worth for them.

Could you give me examples, I really didn't get how it works.

I scrapped that game and started yet another. So far, so good. I swear when the AI are begging to trade with me, I'm going to give it to them good.

You people have been lucky within the category of resource placement. I didn't ever receive oil, coal or rubber until approximately my 60th game. The other times my warmogering and slightly frightening opponents would be the only possessers of industrial resources such as those.

Could you give me examples, I really didn't get how it works.

If you have a four lux's and a marketplace, that produces six happy faces. 1-2 lux's give 1 happy face each, 3-4 give two happy faces each. So when you trade for that fifth lux, it will produce 3 happy faces each. Which is quite a bit of happy faces. The AI will price it accordingly.

Now, if you just had one lux, then the extra lux would only produce 1 happy face regardless of whether or not there were marketplaces. So it would be alot cheaper.

Look at it this way. The more people that lux is going to make happy, the more you're going to have to pay for it.

c'mon guys suck it up, :mischief: that's what early wars are for (gain those resources by force)
okay i've got to stop playing the germans, it's getting me too aggressive :lol:

there's nothing sadder than a german without rubber and/or gas

Top Bottom