1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

sorta n00b question regarding religion....yea, I searched first!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Xaks, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bex

Bex Chieftain

GP do not purge the holy city status; inquisitors do.

2. Saxony

Saxony Chieftain

Also if Ethiopia founds a religion they will spam GPs and missionarys the whole game. It happened to me that they send someone to convert my cities in Information Era so be prepared to stock up on Inquisitors if you meet them

3. pennjersey83

pennjersey83 Chieftain

I agree, ghandi is a bedsheet wearing, proselytizing little runt...

Kill him

4. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

How to fight back religious pressure from missionaries

1. no open border +some blocking of path : if you don t have open border , their strength decays by 250 every turn so block their path and let em die

2. buy a roaming inquisitor , if an inquisitor is on one of your cities , no conversion can happen from missionaries nor prophets.. so use your roads to have him move from cities in order to lose the missionaries (see point 1)

versus a prophet, only 2 or full circle block really works.
    Usually an inquisitor is all I need.
    EDIT: just to be clear , u don t need to actually USE the inquisitor , in fact you shouldn't. The inquisitor just needs to sit in the city to have said city immune to missionnaries and gp.

5. Xaks

Xaks Chieftain

The problem is, in the game I'm playing now and started this morning, I have TWO danish GPs parked in ship on my city harbor line.
    They're spam-converting my city EVERY turn, and I don't have the ability to get inquisitors yet.

I talked to Bluetooth and asked him to stop, and he said they would. But, apparently, since they're in ships, they don't count as on my lands, so they're still at it.

Bad form. Worse code.

6. Xaks

Xaks Chieftain

Yep, here we are again.

Fresh game. I can't even BUY inquisitors yet. And every city in my empire save my capitol has been spam converted by the iriquois.

I asked them not to, and they said, 'No". So, screw me. Unless I want to go to war with a city-state double mine in size.

Way to remove faith and religion from my gaming.

7. Xaks

Xaks Chieftain

Aaaand again. Asked leader nicely to stop sending prophets into my area, he said he would.

The prophet he already sent that snagged one city just converted my capital, complete with grand temple and founding city of my religion, to Byzantiums religion, even after Nebuchanezzar said he'd stop.

Not far enough into the game to buy inquisitors yet, as I *just* finished the temple two turns ago.

Brilliant. Just friggin' brilliant.

That's enough, I'm taking a Civ 5 break for a bit. I haven't even gotten BNW yet, was going to prolly next week, but I'm out for a while. This kind of crap is horsehockey.

8. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

Chill out! Religion is only one aspect of the game.

9. Xaks

Xaks Chieftain

One part of the game, yes.

One you can win the game with.

One with mechanics that either are so horribly coded that they do not function AT ALL, or with such poorly written and constructed mechanics that they put in the ability to ask for for religious nutters to stop (at a risk to yourself for even asking via rep hit) AND the ability for the leader AI to decide that it's OK, we'll stop sending them...or not...and then convert your capital complete with a Great Temple (and religious founding city to boot!) out from under your feet.

This is not a new problem. This is not an 'ongoing fix attempts, we're working on it' issue. Its been this way a long, long time and is still live.

One aspect of the game, yes. But one spectacularly badly coded, bass-ackwards implemented, or flat-out farking non-functional. Pick one.

I've put in 240 hours since June 9th. But I'm out for a bit. This is unacceptable to me.

10. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Yeah, they tend to go for Holy City first, but if they cannot, they either leave completely, or convert your other highest population cities. :mad:

So you ask him to stop, and 10:1 is that they will say "Ok" then convert your second city. When that happens, you go and take his Holy City. :lol:

funny thing is, I've seen AI taking "Just war" then nuking all of your cities with their prophets, fallowed by DOW. Happens often with Boudicca and Harun.

11. Mikasa

Mikasa Chieftain

You must wait for them to convert one of your cities. Usually when I see an foreign missionary, I immediately declare war and slap them in the face, making them feel sorry for even attempting to convert me.

???

Profit.

12. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

They really aren't as agressive about it in BNW. If you have founded your own religion, they leave you alone.

The fight is usually over CS and a 3rd civ with no religion of their own.

13. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Yeah, it's been changed in BNW, but they can still send their prophets. :mad: In one of my games, I've seen Egypt walking into my and Korea's territory with FOUR prophets and just keep nuking every city he saw. I didn't have any religion in that game, and Korean was very useless, so I more then welcome Egypt's who had best religion in that game.

He probably did that because Korea decided "hey it would be fun to have my religion as world religion" and it actually passed. O.o