Soundcard problems....

Ancient Grudge

Its all in this life
Yet again I throw myself at the mercy of you computer wizards.

This morning I was happily listening to music, switched my computer off and went work, when I got home from work I fancied chilling to some faithless but I cant listen to anything, i've tried using Winamp, Realplayer and Windows Media Player. The message i get from Winamp is

Another program is using your soundcard. Please change output device (in waveOut plug-in configuration), switch to DirectSound output (in winamp prefrences/ plug-ins/ output) or get a soundcard which can play multiple streams.

Error code 4
Windows Error message: 'MMSYSTEM004 The Specified device is already in use. Wait until its free, and then try again"

I've tried re-starting, i've done a spyware check with spybot, ad-aware and spyware doctor.

Note I did nothing to my computer this morning apart from listen to music and play hearts of iron 2, I don't see how anything could've changed.......

Please help me....

Thank you in advance!

Go to Start>Run, enter devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In the window that comes up you should see a category "Sound, Video and Game Controllers." Expand it and find your soundcard. If it's already expanded with one of the devices flagged by a yellow exclamation point, that's probably the one you want. Yours will most likely be something like an AC97 or in the Soundblaster line. Double click to open that up and if it's giving an error under "device status," post the error for us.

Do you know if you are using onboard (built into the motherboard) sound, or do you have a seperate soundcard?

Bit of a spammy post, but:

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to Speedo and other chaps like him. So many of my computer problems have been resolved by helpful peeps here, so for that,
:thumbsup:

If it were me, i'd probably be too lazy + selfish + stupid to help!

Speedo said:
Go to Start>Run, enter devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In the window that comes up you should see a category "Sound, Video and Game Controllers." Expand it and find your soundcard. If it's already expanded with one of the devices flagged by a yellow exclamation point, that's probably the one you want. Yours will most likely be something like an AC97 or in the Soundblaster line. Double click to open that up and if it's giving an error under "device status," post the error for us.

Do you know if you are using onboard (built into the motherboard) sound, or do you have a seperate soundcard?

I'm afraid that he has 98/me and no microsoft management console.

Yeah im using Windows Me

Also I keep getting this Application Error: Exception ERegisteryException in module IESDPB.DLL at 00034B3E.

I think I have a seperate soundcard... I'll have to check

Ahh, just makes it more fun :eek:

Going by memory then, you should be able to right click on "My Computer" and choose Properties, then go to the hardware tab, and there should be a Device Manager button under it.

i don't know where it is in WinME but somewhere there should be your Audio-Properties, if you find it I'd chech wheter your soundcard is selected as the preferred output device.

Sorry, that I can't be more specific but it's been years since I used any Win9x..... In Win2000 it's in the control panel under Sounds and Multimedia....

I belive its being used by another program, I would go through Ctrl-Alt-Del to find the culprit.

Most sound cards shouldn't have a problem being used by several programs at once....

I would check what KaeptnOvi said, but I'm not really sure that it would have much bearing on your problem.

My next step would be to rip out the drivers and reinstall them, but to that you're going to have to know what kind of sound card you have.

Did you buy your PC from Dell, Compaq or a company like that? What model number is it?

Uninstall the drivers in Device Manager and then use Add Hardware in control panel to search for the device and drivers, reboot.

It's a fujitsu siemens computer, i've done the ctrl+alt+delete till there no other programs but winamp and explorer, will trying replacing drivers if i can find them, will update you all, cheers for the help especially speedo

Top Bottom