Space race concerns

J

jjoakim

In my last game I was heading for a space race victory and when my spaceship was fully constructed I sent it away, then in only a couple of turns the Greeks build the smallest functional but fast spaceship that should arrive only two years before me… So what to do? Conquer their Capitol of course, so a lunched a furious attacks. Bombers taking away the Greek defenders and paratroopers dropping in for a cup of coffee in Athens. But what happens? The Greek council has moved to ***** And history repeat it self five turns with new cities every time… Their spaceship landed on Alpha Centauri two years before me, rendering me from my god given right to win the game… (I still got 170% rating thou…)

Does any one else have the same experience? Did I miss something? Isn’t your supposed to be able to destroy there ship by capturing there capitol?

Regards Jocke

I guess you've never seen it (which is good)but when your cap is sacked you will get a pop up window asking if you want to immediately relocate your palace.You need at least 1000 gold for this.Same thing with the ai.They can move it for every 1000 gold.If they have 5000,you'll need to sack 5 capitols.

What about a Spy?
We have no experience with trying to subvert a spaceship with a spy,
but it seems a spy should be able to do something to help.
Is this a possibility at all ?

------------------
TTFNFm & MTFBWY moof

" Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,

and I'm not sure about the former. " - Albert Einstein

Since spies can't bribe a city that is the players capital, they can't do much more to directly stop the spaceship.

They can, however, start taking out other cities the AI has, so that there wouldn't be as many to choose from when moving the capital.

That's why anytime I'm trying to take out an AI capital, I try to take out as many of their cities as possible, rather than go directly for their capital. It not only makes it easier to take them out in the long run (by killing units that are supported by the captured city), but uses their money up a bit faster.

By the way... I always build up the fastest spacecraft possible

In my current game, I am in the process of building a spaceship, and it will be a complete one, all other civs have been dealt with. The Americans, Zulus, and Celts have all been building spaceships but I have not allowed them to complete. Once I feel they have committed sufficient resouces to the project I Nuke their capital, drop in a paratrooper or land based assault (whichever is easiest), when the capital is captured the spaceship is destroyed. (sorry I don't know how much money they had at the time). I not concerned if they take the city back the next turn. the job is done.

Pardon my machismo, but

SPACESHIPS ARE FOR WIMPS!

REAL MEN PLAY BLOODLUST.

It's not about score...it's about CONQUEST!!

There, I feel better now.

Master of Ceremonies: Have you ever heard the saying; "When the brain capacity is not sufficient the knuckles takes it's place" I rather outwit my competitors than using brute force…

Okay, I’ll admit that occasionally I have my self a good blood match to get my need for blood out of the system, but most of all I like to get the better off the others with science and good diplomacy…

But hey! Isn’t that the beauty of the game? That you can choose to play as you like and still win…

Regards

jjoakim

Besdes, MC, what about me, I'm a lady!

Besides, I'm not one for bloody stuff, anyway. Everybody has their playing styles, and if it works for them, well, cool with me.

------------------
"Shake the world beneath your feet up"
--Johnny Clegg

"Spaceships are for WIMPS!"

IMHO, playing with the bloodlust option should cost a hefty penalty on your score. The AI is not smart enough to win by conquest, but is plenty able to build spaceships.

So the challenge is for you the human to conquer the world before they settle the stars. Nothing forces YOU to build a ship, but taking this away from the AI gives you a significant advantge!

Cheers,
Agni

Top Bottom