Space Wars development thread

Beelze said:
Hmm just a thought (reason i signed up :) ) but couldnt you allow naval units to cross land tiles? ill assume you will use naval units for space units seeing your replacing water. Dunno if this is possible but shouldnt it be as simple as changing some settings for units?

This way the AI will be able to build ships wherever and you could have normal, spherical looking 'planets'.

I don't know if it could be done. Domain editing doesn't seem to be easy and it would need some restrictions to space-ground batles (otherwise ground units would be useless). But it would be good.

About races: that's about the way it will be done. But Maybe there should be some barbarian races.

Wait, thats hard to understand. Is water water or space?
Because it really should be space.
You really need to wait for SDK to start this mod however.

Water is not water. It is space. But real water is water. The space is space but it is as water. At least, It is like water. Space is always space and water is always water. The water is space in this mod is space and it should not be named water because it is space and not water. Is this clear enough? (note: this is just a joke. :p There is space in the mod so water is space. To avoid confusion, we should say only space).

I know it's very difficult, but what about several different tech-trees for some groups of space-races. For example : the human races (mankind and maybe the greys) have their own tech-tree and the insectoid races have a different one ? :mischief:

Vadus said:
I know it's very difficult, but what about several different tech-trees for some groups of space-races. For example : the human races (mankind and maybe the greys) have their own tech-tree and the insectoid races have a different one ? :mischief:
This would be good, but because of the modding time and balancing, I will start by one techtree. But this doesn't mean I forget it: it might be done after.

A tech I think should go fairly early in the tech tree (we already pretty much have the tech for this): Cosmetic Neurology (ie the use of psychotropic drugs to enhance performance in non-handicapped individuals). It would probably use some Civic option to represent your government's official stance (the tech representing the necessary social climate and testable drugs), possibly such options ranging from outlawing the drugs except to help people with diagnosed medical disorders (default) to encouraging cosmetic neurology to improve personal happiness (increases happiness, decreases production) to forcibly controlling your population (hard to say what bonuses should be associated with this; maybe increased production but a happiness bonus to Civs at war with you).

Regarding the whole issue of mapping the planet:

Wouldn't it be easier to model it as a 'circle' with impassable terrain in the center, similar to a "center of the planet" thing. You can't travel through the planet, it would force you to circle around on the surface. Obviously the issue is how to model 3D in 2D, but this may be a close approximation. You can then go as big as you want in a grid. Because you can move at a diagonal, you can take advantage of corners.

OXXXO
XXMXX
XMMMX
XXMXX
OXXXO

And for smaller planets, a diamond shape would open up more area without anything in the middle:

OXO
XXX
OXO

or

OXXO
XXXX
XXXX
OXXO

and only use impassable for larger planets.

Another possible addition in this scenario would be 'gas giants' that could make use of the interior terrain as the interior of the planet for mining gases or other resources (which, being in the center of the planet, wouldn't have space access anyway).

Another thing to think about (forgive me if it has already been mentioned) is the use of satellites. You could make a buffer of space tiles which can be used to place satelites in around the planet, giving better communications or other bonuses (similar to fishing tiles in water that require a work boat). Depending on the type of satellites, you may be able to take some of the resource burden off the small area you can use. Along those same lines, have you considered adding moons to larger planets? They can be a close resource for mining for starting civs.

Just a few thoughts.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was working on a space mod my self, called galactic empires!!!!!!!!!

Look I wasn't ver far, but I got all the planets and stuff, I was keeping a secret unless I couldn't do enough of it, and was going to realese it when I had done all i could!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

There is a screenie now, showing you my SPACE, EARTH, and MARS terrains.

i suppose I may aswell help now, and og and find some other inspiration in order to start another mod. :mad:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This hasn't been updated for 4 months, I think its pretty safe to say Crossbowman won't dothis, go ahead and do it.

Geez, calm down. There are more than one of each type of mod.

And your screenie looks pretty nifty. Keep plugging away!

dalek, your mod looks really cool. I wouldn't give up on it just yet, I for one would be very interested in trying it out.

Dalek - wow.

This looks like the most developed space-based mod so far. Nice to see somekind of screen shot (and those graphics don't look bad at all). You really should get a thread started up so people can know what you're doing.

If you don't mind, I'm just going to repost my ideas from the Star Trek thread:

Andrew_Jay said:
I can't remember if there's been any model for how the terrain will work in this mod, but I found some mock-ups I did a few weeks ago. One thing you'll notice is that I prefer 1x1 tile planets and stars to anything else - though perhaps that's just a preference left over from the CivIII mod, it's quite possible that some awesome-looking (and functional) 2x2 planets (or bigger) can be made with CivIV's graphics.

This first shot (taken from the Civ4 Editor utility) basically encompasses many of my ideas for how the game could work.

Of course, the form that cities will take is perhaps the biggest decision, and it seems that there are two ways to go:

"Star Cities" has the "city" built on the star, allowing the civilization to claim the entire star-system. The city then reaches out and works the planets in that system (for both models, I picture the coast and ocean tiles - unless they possess resources/asteroids - producing nothing. Food/Hammers/Trade will depend on the planets themselves and the improvements you build on them).

One cool thing about this model is that it can take advantage of all of the tile improvements in CivIV; one planet could have a "cottage" on it, another a "windmill", planets could be customised with mines, farms, "lumber camps", etc.

"Planet Cities" has each planet settled seperately. This allows for a little more flexibility, and the ability to exploit special resources on each (is there anyway to, for example, get a gold resource off of a one-tile island without a city on it? I don't think there is, which hurts the "star cities" model). One thing you should note is that I placed the planets in these examples so that they do not over-lap (so your "city" on Earth won't also work Mars, for example). You lose the ability to build terrain improvements, however (because everything will have a city on it). Also, if we are to avoid over-lapping, this model can fit fewer planets around a star (maximum of four it seems, where the "star cities" allows for six before planets are joined to each-other).

I really don't know which I prefer right now, because obviously both have their advantages and disadvantages. What do other people think?

what's up with this?
Is this dead or alive?

If you are alive I am willing to help with ideas and xml.
If dead mind if i steal some ideas?

Thinking of starting a space mod with a couple of other guys.

sovarn said:
what's up with this?
Is this dead or alive?

If you are alive I am willing to help with ideas and xml.
If dead mind if i steal some ideas?

Thinking of starting a space mod with a couple of other guys.

I think this thread is dead. I'll remember you though for myself :)

Top Bottom