Speculations about not yet revealed civs/leaders

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
I've all read speculations about who might get what and behave in what way in many threads and then decided to create this thread to give these speculations a place without disturbing other threads.

Russia
We know nothing about Russia besides that is lead by Peter I and we've seen some border colors that resemble civ 5's Russia. Multiple times I've read speculations that Russia might be a science focussed civ because of Peter. But Russia leaves lots of room for other things imho.

Arabia
We've seen that the UB, the Madrasa, is a temple replacement. Presumably it helps with science in some way. Speculations seem to be that it will be a religion focused civ, also military because the rather militaristic leader. Saladin may have an agenda that has to do with conversion of cities of his religion, or spreading religion in city states.

India (revealed, agenda still unknown)
The UU is the Varu, a war elephant that comes quite early in the game. We've also seen a unique improvement called step well. Maybe step wells generate fresh water on tiles that would have no access otherwise, generate extra housing, boost adjacent farms? Seems to me, that besides reading the wish of it being a religious focussed civ, it's once again about high population. Gandhi's agenda? Maybe he hates warmongers or people that spread over many continents.

Sumer
Nothing known besides the leader. Since the most famous buildings of the sumerian civilization seem to bee ziggurats (potential shrine replacements) and canals (potential unique improvement) one of them might get in. Personally, I picture Sumer as a science/tall city civ. Surely their UU has to be something early (Slinger replacement?). I can imagine Gilgamesh not liking people that are technologically ahead of him, but that would be a horrible agenda. Gilgamesh might have special walls or irrigations system.

Greece
Unique District: Acropolis replacing the Theatre District. This might create extra culture, might give adjacency bonus to nearby campuses or holy sites... many possibilities. Since we have two leaders, the focus of the civ is probably cultural and then Gorgo is more on the military side, while Pericles is more about science. UU's are probably early, like the hoplite or the trireme. To me, a bonus on governments or policies seems also plausible. Pericles might like people who share the same government even more than others, or he likes big fleets.

Rome
UU: Legion that replaces the Swordsman. UD: Baths that replace the aqueduct. Many ways this can go. Will Legions once again be able to build roads? Or forts? Or a movement bonus for them? Will baths generate culture besides giving what an aqueduct gives? What may it be focus on? Culture and Military? Expansion? Tourism? Trajan might like big empires and hate tall ones.

Kongo (revealed)
UU: Ngao Mbeba replacing the Swordsman. Maybe not requiring iron? I have no idea how this civ will work, speculations seem to be on religious. I can also imagine a science or culture boost from friendships as a ULA of Afonso, this would make especially sense if his agenda is that he likes people with a lot of culture. UB/UD/UI not known yet.

Norway
The UU is the Longship that is a galley replacement. Since this is very early it may have a special ability, maybe it can cross oceans? Th UB is the Stave Church, a temple replacement, I have no idea what its difference from the normal temple might be. The ULA might be military, while the civs UA may be commercial or amenity related. A bonus from tundra tiles did come up, too. I can also imagine one from coastal cities.

Spain (revealed, agenda still unknown)
Spain is already revealed and we know the bonuses. What we don't know yet is Philip's agenda. May be something with religion (but surely not the same as Saladin's).

So basic summary of what's known so far as Tldr:

Russia led by Peter the Great
UU: ?
UI: ?
UA: ?
LA: ?
Agenda: ?

Arabia led by Saladin
UI: Madrassa replacing temple

India led by Gandhi
UU: Varu war elephant
UI: Stepwell tile improvement

Sumer led by Gilgamesh

Greece led by Pericles and Gorgo
UI: Acropolis replacing theatre district
GLA: ?
Gorgo Agenda: ?
PLA: ?
Pericles Agenda: ?

Rome led by Trajan
UU: Legion
UI: Baths district

Kongo led by Afonso I
UU: Ngao Mbeba swordsman

Norway led by Harald Hadrada
UU: Longship
UI: Stave Church
We have a fair bit to fill in :goodjob:

I think the three notable things there in particular are the missing unique infrastructures for Sumer, Russia and Kongo. Sumer will have an early one, but we've seen all the early techs? So I'm speculating that it's UI is unlocked from the start of the game. I reckon that means that Kongo and Russia have later UIs too. Renaissance or later considering how much of the tech tree has been shown, unless we've missed something?

First of all, Peter the Great is Peter I, not Peter II :)
Also, Norway is not in the list. We know their UU and UB.

Back to speculations:
- Russia is likely to have unique Campus replacement, because who else?
- Russia UU could be the same Cossacs as before. They could also be Streltsy, just for variety.

Russia
We know nothing about Russia besides that is lead by Peter II and we've seen some border colors that resemble civ 5's Russia. Multiple times I've read speculations that Russia might be a science focussed civ because of Peter. But Russia leaves lots of room for other things imho.

It's Peter I actually, not II. With all honesty, if designers took inspiration for UA from history, Russia really should get bonuses for expansion, warmongering, science and a little bit of culture (you know, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, etc). Taking into account Peter's personal bias toward westernization, modernization (especially in the army department) and not giving a f*** about traditions we are almost certainly gonna get exp/science. As far as UU goes - i assume Cossack because, you know, staple Russian unit is staple.

Back to speculations:
- Russia UU could be the same Cossacs as before. They could also be Streltsy, just for variety.

But the campus tech has been seen in the latest build videos surely and if there was a replacement it woulda showed up on the tooltip. I don't think there is gunna be a campus replacement on launch

But the campus tech has been seen in the latest build videos surely and if there was a replacement it woulda showed up on the tooltip. I don't think there is gunna be a campus replacement on launch

True. I think we will get a Unique improvement. Which one? No idea. Assuming, of course, devs will not implement "Gulag" UI :lol:

True. I think we will get a Unique improvement. Which one? No idea. Assuming, of course, devs will not implement "Gulag" UI :lol:

Maybe a krepost UI that acts like a fort and adds the tiles around it to your empire like the great artist/general in V? I'd say limiting factors would be that it has to be in or adjacent to Russian lands and has to be adjacent to a strategic resource

Incidentally I reckon the Sumerian UU must be a warrior replacement since we haven't seen it too. Probably just another vulture unit, maybe with increasing flanking bonus cos of their phalanxes.

No it didn't. The Ed's livestream started with Writing already researched, so we didn't see its hover. And no other stream had this build with full tooltips.

Back to speculations:

I would be very surprised if Russia got a Campus replacement. Before the Soviet era it was hardly known for its science, and the Campus district comes very early in the game. If anything of this type, it could get a late science building replacement (such as a Research Laboratory). It could also get a Spaceship district replacement but that would be pretty weak, imo.

It's Peter I actually, not II. With all honesty, if designers took inspiration for UA from history, Russia really should get bonuses for expansion, warmongering, science and a little bit of culture (you know, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, etc). Taking into account Peter's personal bias toward westernization, modernization (especially in the army department) and not giving a f*** about traditions we are almost certainly gonna get exp/science. As far as UU goes - i assume Cossack because, you know, staple Russian unit is staple.

I think Peter's agenda could be to be more scientifically (or indeed culturally - after all, the Westernisation was as much about culture as it was about science) advanced than other civs, but perhaps liking those who are more advanced than he is (so he can trade with them etc.)?

I would be very surprised if Russia got a Campus replacement. Before the Soviet era it was hardly known for its science, and the Campus district comes very early in the game. If anything of this type, it could get a late science building replacement (such as a Research Laboratory). It could also get a Spaceship district replacement but that would be pretty weak, imo.

Starting from Peter's reforms it started to fill the scientific gap with enormous speed. Before the Soviet era it produced Mendeleev, Tsiolkovsky and many others.

I even know how the Campus replacement should be named - Akademgorodok :)

It is important to Remember leaders and Civs are somewhat decoupled in this game. The civ is supposed to represent an overall view of the entire nations history. Whereas, the leader gives bonuses relevant to their personal rein.

This is what I expect or would like to see
Arabia to be religious or economic while Saladin is militaristic
Russia to be expansionist while Peter is Science focused
India to be religious while Ghandi to be pacifist
Sumeria to be scientific while Gilgamesh is religious
Greece to be Cultural, Gorgo to be militaristic and Pericles to be also be cultural
Rome and Trajan to be Militaristic
Congo to be economic while Afonso will be religious
Norway will be about exploration while Harald will be militaristic. I would especially like to see the Longboat be an early ship that can enter ocean tiles

Poor unknown Pavlov, Mendeleev, Mechnikov and a crapton of others. But yeah, Soviet era is more known for science than imperial era.

But it's not like they stood out compared to Newton, Darwin or Pasteur - all nations during this time had famous scientists and it doesn't seem like Russia was somehow "science focused".

If anything, it has been rather backward - when Lenin's revolution started it was much less industrialised and technologically advanced than the West. If you have to give it a clear focus, I think a culture focus would be much more appropriate - what was, imo, quite remarkable about Russia is that despite being technologically behind, it managed to produce so many world-class artists during the 19th century and earlier.

It is important to Remember leaders and Civs are somewhat decoupled in this game. The civ is supposed to represent an overall view of the entire nations history. Whereas, the leader gives bonuses relevant to their personal rein.

This is what I expect or would like to see
Arabia to be religious or economic while Saladin is militaristic
Russia to be expansionist while Peter is Science focused
India to be religious while Ghandi to be pacifist
Sumeria to be scientific while Gilgamesh is religious
Greece to be Cultural, Gorgo to be militaristic and Pericles to be also be cultural
Rome and Trajan to be Militaristic
Congo to be economic while Afonso will be religious
Norway will be about exploration while Harald will be militaristic. I would especially like to see the Longboat be an early ship that can enter ocean tiles

I would give Peter a cultural focus more than scientific, and Rome a more civic/building/expansionist focus (with Trajan militaristic).

Also, I think in addition to cultural, Pericles could have some sort of diplomatic/city-states focus.

But it's not like they stood out compared to Newton, Darwin or Pasteur - all nations during this time had famous scientists and it doesn't seem like Russia was somehow "science focused".

Newton was a bit earlier :)

Overall, in XVII century Russia was way behind in science. In XVIII it got Universities and a couple of cool scientists like Lomonosov. In the second half of XIX it probably had more top scientists than any other country in the world. It was quite impressive jump and it was started by Peter I, so with Russia led by him, science focus looks quite well.

If anything, it has been rather backward - when Lenin's revolution started it was much less industrialised and technologically advanced than the West.

I'd argue that Mendeleev and Pavlov are at least comparable with your list. And if we are going by the scientist/inventors of second half of 19-first half of 20th centuries it's actually Germany who should get bonus to science, but that's not the point. The point is, Russia was a scientific player on a world stage even during late Imperial era, not only during Soviet era - and during which, despite some obvious shortcomings (Lysenko, sharashkas, etc) did achieve remarkable success. So as a whole Russia is acceptable as a science-civ, especially with Peter as a leader

Russia
They will be surely a science nation. Peter is known for being a modernizer.

Arabia
The number one religion Civ. Sure Saladin brings in a militaristic vibe. But the fact that Arabic is a holy language and the Madrasa is a theological school it will provide faith. Not sure about Science. (Because it is a school?)

India
People seem to expect another religion Civ. But we know the common picture of India is different. (supersized democracy)
It will have the elephant and its major strength will be a pop/growth bonus. The stepp well goes in this direction.

Sumer
Don’t know much about them. I remember they were super defensive in civ4. Maybe again in civ 6?

Greece
Didn’t understand the twin leader thing. I thought one of them will be a dlc.
But Pericles Greece will focus culture and probably fleets.
No idea for Gorgo

Rome
Impossible for me to guess. (Trajan is such a model student)
But I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a possibility to build roads. It is the first thing which pops in my mind when I hear rome. (They invented it)
I like the suggestion for his hating bigger than my empire agenda.

Kongo
I have a feeling we miss a tourism based civ. Kongo could take Brazil roles from civ 5

Norway
Pure Raiding and somekind of ocean bonus.

Top Bottom