1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Speeding it up

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by sammoraj, Jan 20, 2014.

1. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

I was wondering what tips people have for speeding the game up. As we all know it can grind to a crawl.
    Also I had the idea that deleting the logs etc may speed it up, is there a way to do that?

2. auagxa

auagxa Warlord

Restarting the game for every 1h interval helps enough. Running the game for a long time will slow it down for some reason.

3. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

If you are referring to how fast the computer churns through the turns then auagxa suggestion of reloading the game every hour or so is all I know. If you want to play your turns faster, I suggest TMiT's youtube playthroughs, I learned a lot about being more efficient in my actions through them.

4. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

I can do my turns fast enough, its the computer thats getting on my nerves

5. Xunin

Xunin Chieftain

Simply alt-tabbing seems to solve the memory leak issue.

6. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

I know what you're talking about. The game tends to lag as the cache augments. The trick is really simple and costless in energy if you have a screen sufficiently big. Make your games under window mode and when it lags, change the window size. Takes less than a minute and refresh the game just like it was restarted. No need to restart and wait the initialization (and thus extremely useful when playing mods under SVN as the init can take up to 20 mins occasionally).

Good luck, nuke gal. :p
    Don't forget to push the "like" button. :huh:

7. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Is there an alternative to that? I really prefer Fullscreen in Singleplayer.

8. Manco Capac

I never found one and that is the reason I dislike to play on my laptop as I cannot use that trick. I played around all the options, but the one that really refresh the game is the change of window sizes. We can't change full screen to window size within a game and vice-versa.

9. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

As simple as alt-tabbing, Tachywaxon.

It is really quick and simple.

10. Manco Capac

Sorry, didn't know this.

11. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

In windowed mode, Alt + Tabbing won't work for getting your game moving along quickly again.

But, opening up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del -> Task Manager) seems to clear out paged memory from all applications (whether you are in windowed mode or not), giving Civ 4 more memory to work with.

I always save the game before Alt + Tabbing or opening the Task Manager, just to avoid the possibility of losing my game's progress should something go wrong.

12. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Ctrl + Shift + Esc*

13. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

Awesome productivity tip, thanks! :goodjob: